Baltimore's Unbeaten Men's Soccer Teams Meet Saturday At Ridley
Sept. 20, 2013
|Date||Saturday, September 21, 2013|
|Location||Baltimore, Maryland | Ridley Athletic Complex|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video | Audio|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
Baltimore Soccer Night
• Loyola will host the battle of Baltimore's unbeaten men's soccer teams Saturday night as it tries to break the all-time attendance record at Ridley Athletic Complex.
• The Greyhounds (5-0-1) bring a five-game win streak into the contest, while the Retrievers, ranked No. 21 in the most recent NSCAA/Continental Tire National Poll, are on a 15-game win streak that dates back to last season. UMBC is 6-0-0 this season.
• In addition, the game will be webcast on NSCAATV.com.
Greyhounds To Be Featured On NSCAA TV
• The NSCAA has selected the Greyhounds’ game versus UMBC on Saturday, Sept. 21 to be featured in its NSCAATV College Soccer Spotlight broadcast.
• Heading into this weekend’s play, the local rivals sport a combined 7-0-1 record, with Loyola holding a 3-0-1 record and UMBC recording an undefeated 4-0-0 mark.
• Dave Johnson, who serves as Comcast SportsNet’s television play-by-play voice for Major League Soccer’s D.C. United and the radio announcer for the NBA’s Washington Wizards, will call the acion.
• Keith Tabatznik, former head coach at Georgetown, will be the color analyst.
Loyola Men’s Soccer
• Loyola is in its 71st season as a men’s soccer program, while this is the Greyhounds’ 32nd year of competition as an NCAA Division I program.
• It is also Loyola’s inaugural year as a member of the Patriot League.
• The Greyhounds were members of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference for 24 years, posting an overall record of 167-24-8 in conference games from 1989-2012. Loyola also claimed 16 regular-season titles and 12 MAAC Tournament titles in that time.
• The Greyhounds, unbeaten so far this year and coming off five-straight wins, have posted their best record to start the season since 2008. The 2008 squad opened the year 5-0-1 and finished the regular season unbeaten, at 17-0-1.
• In addition, this year marks the fifth time in school Division I history that the Greyhounds have been unbeaten through their first six games, while it is the 14th time in the 71-year history of the program that Loyola has not lost in its first six contests.
• Sophomore Larry Ndjock leads the offense with a Patriot League-best seven goals, while junior Connor Thompson is second on the team with three goals. Seniors Stephen Dooley and Diego McQuestion are the only other Greyhound with a goal this season.
• In goal, seniors Zach Kane and Thurman Van Riper, in addition to freshman Jordan Watson, have all seen time, with each earning at least one win. Van Riper has earned two shutout victories, while Watson has the other clean sheet.
• UMBC, ranked No. 21 in the most recent NSCAA/Continental Tire National Rankings, brings a 15-game unbeaten streak into the weekend, including a 6-0-0 mark this season.
• The Retrievers are paced by Pete Caringi, who leads the nation with eight goals and 18 points, while Geaton Caltabiano, a former Greyhound, leads the NCAA with six assists.
• Phil Saunders has played every minute in goal, posting a 1.14 goals-against average and a 58.8 save percentage. In six wins, he has not recorded one shutout victory.
• As members of the Mason Dixon Conference (DII, 1969-76), Loyola had an 8-0-1 record versus UMBC, including beating the Retrievers, 2-1, in the semifinals of the 1974 conference tourament.
• Since both teams joined Division I (Loyola in 1982, UMBC in 1986), the Greyhounds hold an 8-3-1 mark against UMBC, including a 4-0-0 record at home.
• In the last four meetings, the squads are 2-2, with both winning their respective home game.
• UMBC used two goals in a six-minute span to beat the Greyhounds, 2-0, in Catonsville last year.
• Despite the defense making six saves, Loyola’s offense struggled, as it had nine shots to the Retrievers’ 20 and had a penalty kick saved in the game.
• Loyola will close out its four-game homestand on Saturday, Sept. 28, when it hosts Holy Cross at 7 p.m.
Soccer Alumni Inducted To Maryland Soccer Hall ...
The Old Timers Soccer Association of Maryland is inducting its 42nd Hall of Fame class and this...
Men's Soccer Signs First-Ever Nationally Ranked...
Head coach Steve Nichols has put together the Loyola University Maryland men’s soccer...
71 Student-Athletes Named To Fall Patriot...
Loyola University Maryland placed 71 student-athletes on their respective sports’ Patriot...
Marchiano Hired As Manager Of Baltimore Bohemians
Loyola University Maryland men's soccer assistant coach Michael Marchiano has been hired as the...
Men's Soccer Alumni Weekend, Golf Outing Set...
Loyola Men's Soccer Head Coach Steve Nichols '92 invites all alumni, friends and family back to...
Four Greyhounds Named To MAAC 35th Anniversary ...
Four former Loyola University Maryland men’s and women’s soccer players were included...
Sanchez Named Player Of Match After Performance...
Loyola University Maryland men's soccer goalkeeper Matt Sanchez was named the Most Valuable...
Men's Soccer To Host Second Winter ID Camp...
The Loyola University Maryland men's soccer program has announced that it will hold a second...
Friday, Aug 26 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE La Salle Ridley Athletic Complex 7:00 PM Monday, Aug 29 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Saint Francis (Pa.) Loretto, Pa. 1:00 PM Friday, Sept 2 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Old Dominion Norfolk, Va. 7:00 PM Wednesday, Sept 7 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE George Washington Ridley Athletic Complex 7:00 PM Video Saturday, Sept 10 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE High Point Ridley Athletic Complex 7:00 PM Video Saturday, Sept 17 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE UConn Storrs, Conn. 7:00 PM