Baltimore's Unbeaten Men's Soccer Teams Meet Saturday At Ridley
Sept. 20, 2013
|Date||Saturday, September 21, 2013|
|Location||Baltimore, Maryland | Ridley Athletic Complex|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video | Audio|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
Baltimore Soccer Night
• Loyola will host the battle of Baltimore's unbeaten men's soccer teams Saturday night as it tries to break the all-time attendance record at Ridley Athletic Complex.
• The Greyhounds (5-0-1) bring a five-game win streak into the contest, while the Retrievers, ranked No. 21 in the most recent NSCAA/Continental Tire National Poll, are on a 15-game win streak that dates back to last season. UMBC is 6-0-0 this season.
• In addition, the game will be webcast on NSCAATV.com.
Greyhounds To Be Featured On NSCAA TV
• The NSCAA has selected the Greyhounds’ game versus UMBC on Saturday, Sept. 21 to be featured in its NSCAATV College Soccer Spotlight broadcast.
• Heading into this weekend’s play, the local rivals sport a combined 7-0-1 record, with Loyola holding a 3-0-1 record and UMBC recording an undefeated 4-0-0 mark.
• Dave Johnson, who serves as Comcast SportsNet’s television play-by-play voice for Major League Soccer’s D.C. United and the radio announcer for the NBA’s Washington Wizards, will call the acion.
• Keith Tabatznik, former head coach at Georgetown, will be the color analyst.
Loyola Men’s Soccer
• Loyola is in its 71st season as a men’s soccer program, while this is the Greyhounds’ 32nd year of competition as an NCAA Division I program.
• It is also Loyola’s inaugural year as a member of the Patriot League.
• The Greyhounds were members of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference for 24 years, posting an overall record of 167-24-8 in conference games from 1989-2012. Loyola also claimed 16 regular-season titles and 12 MAAC Tournament titles in that time.
• The Greyhounds, unbeaten so far this year and coming off five-straight wins, have posted their best record to start the season since 2008. The 2008 squad opened the year 5-0-1 and finished the regular season unbeaten, at 17-0-1.
• In addition, this year marks the fifth time in school Division I history that the Greyhounds have been unbeaten through their first six games, while it is the 14th time in the 71-year history of the program that Loyola has not lost in its first six contests.
• Sophomore Larry Ndjock leads the offense with a Patriot League-best seven goals, while junior Connor Thompson is second on the team with three goals. Seniors Stephen Dooley and Diego McQuestion are the only other Greyhound with a goal this season.
• In goal, seniors Zach Kane and Thurman Van Riper, in addition to freshman Jordan Watson, have all seen time, with each earning at least one win. Van Riper has earned two shutout victories, while Watson has the other clean sheet.
• UMBC, ranked No. 21 in the most recent NSCAA/Continental Tire National Rankings, brings a 15-game unbeaten streak into the weekend, including a 6-0-0 mark this season.
• The Retrievers are paced by Pete Caringi, who leads the nation with eight goals and 18 points, while Geaton Caltabiano, a former Greyhound, leads the NCAA with six assists.
• Phil Saunders has played every minute in goal, posting a 1.14 goals-against average and a 58.8 save percentage. In six wins, he has not recorded one shutout victory.
• As members of the Mason Dixon Conference (DII, 1969-76), Loyola had an 8-0-1 record versus UMBC, including beating the Retrievers, 2-1, in the semifinals of the 1974 conference tourament.
• Since both teams joined Division I (Loyola in 1982, UMBC in 1986), the Greyhounds hold an 8-3-1 mark against UMBC, including a 4-0-0 record at home.
• In the last four meetings, the squads are 2-2, with both winning their respective home game.
• UMBC used two goals in a six-minute span to beat the Greyhounds, 2-0, in Catonsville last year.
• Despite the defense making six saves, Loyola’s offense struggled, as it had nine shots to the Retrievers’ 20 and had a penalty kick saved in the game.
• Loyola will close out its four-game homestand on Saturday, Sept. 28, when it hosts Holy Cross at 7 p.m.
Men's Soccer Falls At Navy In Patriot...
The Loyola University Maryland men’s soccer team fell at Navy, 1-0, in the Patriot League...
Patriot League Opener Sends MSOC To Navy For...
The Loyola men's soccer team will face Navy in the second game of a Loyola-Navy soccer...
Men’s And Women’s Soccer Earn NSCAA...
The Loyola University Maryland men’s and women’s soccer teams were among 859 college ...
Greyhounds Give Up First-Half Goal, Men's...
The Loyola University Maryland men’s soccer team gave up a first-half goal to George...
VIDEO FEATURE: Men's Soccer Wins Battle Of...
Video feature for Loyola men's soccer's 1-0 win over No. 11 UMBC in the Battle of Baltimore on...
Men's Soccer Travels To George Washington For...
The Loyola men's soccer team will travel to George Washington on Saturday for a 1 p.m., meeting...
Watson Named Patriot League Rookie Of The Week
Loyola University Maryland freshman A. Mickey Watson has been named the Patriot League Rookie of ...
Warenicz Scores To Get Men's Soccer Upset Win...
Behind sophomore Brad Warenicz’s first career goal, the Loyola University Maryland men̵...
Wednesday, Oct 7 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE American Ridley Athletic Complex 7:00 PM Video Saturday, Oct 10 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Boston University Boston, Mass. 1:00 PM Saturday, Oct 17 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Lehigh Bethlehem, Pa. 7:00 PM Tuesday, Oct 20 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Drexel Ridley Athletic Complex 7:00 PM Video Saturday, Oct 24 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Army West Point Ridley Athletic Complex 7:00 PM Video Wednesday, Oct 28 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Bucknell Lewisburg, Pa. 7:00 PM