Villanova Comes To Ridley For Saturday Night Men's Soccer Match
|Date||Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017|
|Location||Baltimore, Md. | Ridley Athletic Complex|
|Watch||Patriot League Network|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter | Instagram|
Loyola Greyhounds (2-1-1, 0-0-0 Patriot League)
• Loyola, picked to win the Patriot League, debuted at the top spot in this season’s first Northeast Region region rankings. It currently ranks second and is receiving votes in the national poll.
• The Greyhounds started the season with a pair of wins for the first time since 2008 and unbeaten through three games for the first time since 2011. Loyola also beat La Salle, 5-4, in double overtime to notch the program’s first season-opening win since 2011.
• All four of Loyola’s games have been decided by one goal or less this year.
• Loyola has had at least one player earn each of the Patriot League individual weekly awards this year, as Josh Fawole (offensive), Gabriel Carlsson (midfield) and Sam Brown (rookie) were honored for their play in the first week, at La Salle and vs. St. John’s. A. Mickey Watson (defensive) and Chase Vosvick (goalkeeper and rookie) earned accolades the next week, for the contributions to a scoreless draw at preseason CAA favorite William & Mary.
• In the individual NCAA stat rankings, junior Gabriel Carlsson is tied for eighth with three assists this year. He’s one of three Patriot League players with multiple assists this season.
• Loyola returns 14 letterwinners and eight starters from last year’s team that turned the program into a contender in the Patriot League. After a winless 2015 in League play, Loyola posted a 6-1-2 record last year to finish runner-up in the Patriot League, the biggest turnaround in League history.
• In addition to the 14 returners, Loyola welcomes 13 newcomers to the program.
• Sophomores Brian Saramago (offensive) and Barry Sharifi (midfield) were selected as two of the Patriot League’s three preseason players of the year.
• Six different Greyhounds have scored a goal this year - Nico Brown, Sam Brown, Sam Carter, Josh Fawole, Barry Sharifi and A. Mickey Watson - while three have a goal and an assist - Sam Brown, Carter and Fawole.
Villanova Wildcats (2-2-0, 0-0-0 BIG EAST)
• The Wildcats, 10-8-3 a year ago, are coming off their first-ever NCAA Tournament appearance, as they earned an at-large invitation to the NCAA field of 48 last season.
• So far this season, Villanova is 2-2-0. After opening the season with a 3-2 double-overtime loss at No. 13 Virginia, followed by a 1-0 loss to Temple in the team’s home opener, the Wildcats have knocked off UMBC, 5-2, and most recently, Delaware, 2-1 Wednesday night in double overtime.
• Villanova was picked to finish fourth in the BIG EAST this year and returns Preseason All-BIG EAST midfielder Andreas Bartosinski.
• Bartosinski has two goals this season, while Yusuf Cueceoglu leads the team with six points on two goals and two assists.
• Theo Quartey, Lucas Hodges and Nikkye DePoint have also contributed to more than one goal this season, as each have scored one goal and assisted another.
• In goal, Will Steiner has played all 392 minutes, posting a 1.61 goals-against average and a .731 save percentage. He has given up seven goals, while stopping 19.
Versus The Wildcats
• Loyola is 2-1 in the all-time series with the Wilcats, including holding an 8-2 advantage in goals.
• The Greyhounds won the last meeting, earning a 3-1 victory at Villanova in 2010.
• While this will mark Villanova’s first trip to Ridley Athletic Complex, the two teams are tied at 1-1 in games playing in Baltimore. Loyola was victorious in the inaugural meeting, a 5-0 decision in 1983, while the Wildcats recorded a 1-0 win in the 2009 season opener.
• Loyola will head on the road for three-straight games, including the Patriot League opener.
• The Greyhounds will open the road swing with a match at SMU on Friday, Sept. 15 at 7 p.m.
• Loyola will then take on a two-game road trip to Colgate (Friday, Sept. 22, 6 pm) and Cleveland State (Monday, Sept. 25, 6 pm).
Men's Soccer Draws Defending Champion Colgate...
The Loyola University Maryland men’s soccer team will host defending Patriot League...
Tickets For Patriot League Men's Soccer...
Tickets for the 2017 Patriot League Men's Soccer Championships are on sale now. Loyola will host ...
Loyola Athletics Ranks Seventh In NCAA's...
Loyola University Maryland continued its outstanding performance in the NCAA’s Graduation...
Sharifi, Vosvick, Nichols Earn Major Awards;...
Barry Sharifi, Chase Vosvick and Steve Nichols earned major year-end awards from the Patriot...
Saramago, Vosvick Garner Patriot League Weekly ...
Loyola's Brian Saramago and Chase Vosvick were named Corvias Patriot League Offensive Player and ...
Patriot League Men's Soccer Championships To Be...
This weekend's Patriot League Men's Soccer Championships will air live on national television via...
Men's Soccer Captures First-Ever Patriot League...
Sophomore Brian Saramago's goal in the 21st minute earned the Loyola University Maryland men's...
Regular-Season Finale, Senior Day Set For MSOC ...
The Loyola University Maryland men's soccer team will honor seniors Matt Bautista and Joe Nichols...
There are no upcoming events.