Home Opener For Men's Soccer Tuesday Night vs. Howard
|Date||Tuesday, September 2, 2014|
|Location||Baltimore, Maryland | Ridley Athletic Complex|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
• Tuesday’s game is Loyola’s 2014 home opener.
• Both Loyola and Howard are under the direction of new head coaches this year, as the Greyhounds have hired an alum, Steve Nichols ‘92, to take over the program and Howard has welcomed Phillip Gyau to the helm of its program.
• This will mark the first time the Greyhounds and Bison have met since 1995.
• Both sides are looking for its first win of the 2014 season.
• Loyola holds an unbeaten record of 6-0-1 when facing Howard. The Greyhounds have yet to give up a goal when playing in Baltimore, winning 1-0 in 1985, 3-0 in 1992 and 2-0 in 1994.
Loyola Men’s Soccer
• Loyola is beginning its 72nd season as a men’s soccer program, and its 33rd year of competition as an NCAA Division I program.
• The 2013 season was Loyola’s inaugural year as a member of the Patriot League, while 2014 will mark the first year the Greyhounds will compete under new head coach Steve Nichols.
• Prior to joining the Patriot League, Loyola was a member of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference for 24 years, posting an overall record of 167-24-8 in conference games from 1989-2012. Loyola also claimed 16 regular-season titles and 12 MAAC Tournament titles.
Last Time Out
• The Greyhounds let up two goals in just over three minutes of each other at Saint Francis (Pa.) on Friday, falling to the Red Flash, 2-0, in the season opener.
• Sophomore Ryan Tuck had two late header attempts that just missed the goal, while junior Dominic Marshall also had an attempt saved in the final minutes.
• Loyola began the year with a 2-0 loss at St. Francis (Pa.), a 2013 NCAA Tournament participant.
• Five Greyhounds made their debuts in the game; sophomore transfer Matt Sanchez in goal, sophomore midfielder John Toher, sophomore transfer Dolu Oyewole, sophomore Dylan Engel and freshman Brad Warenicz.
• The Bison, coming off a 1-17-0 year, are under guidance of first-year head coach Phillip Gyau.
• Howard suffered back-to-back losses in the DC College Cup to open the season.
• Following a 7-0 loss to George Mason, Austin Williams scored the Bison’s first goal of the year against George Washington, but it wouldn’t be enough as the Colonials won, 4-1.
• Eric Hamilton Frederick Todd III were both named to the Cup’s all-tournament team.
• The Greyhounds are unbeaten when facing Howard, holding a 6-0-1 record, but the two squads haven’t met since 1995.
• In the series debut in 1984, the teams earned a 2-2 double-overtime tie. Loyola then won at home, 1-0, in 1985.
• The teams didn’t meet again until 1991, when Loyola used overtime to pick up a 1-0 win in DC, before taking the 1992 meeting in Baltimore, 3-0. The 1993 and 1995 contests in Washington, D.C., were one-goal affairs, with Loyola winning 3-2 and 2-1, respectively.
• In the three games played in Baltimore, Loyola has yet to give up a goal, winning 1-0 in 1985, 3-0 in 1992 and 2-0 in 1994.
• Loyola will head on the road for three-straight away games, at Campbell, Drexel and Stetson.
• The Greyhounds’ game at Campbell is scheduled for 6 p.m., on Saturday, Sept. 6.
Sanchez To Start Play In Olympic Qualifying For...
Loyola University Maryland men’s soccer junior-to-be Matt Sanchez is slated to be the...
Eight Greyhound Teams Recognized By NCAA For...
Eight Loyola University Maryland athletic teams were recognized Wednesday by the NCAA for being...
Sanchez To Make Debut With Puerto Rican...
Loyola University Maryland's men's soccer goalkeeper Matt Sanchez is projected to make the start ...
Men's Soccer To Hold Open Tryouts Saturday,...
Loyola University Maryland men's soccer team will hold open tryouts for all interested and...
Men's Soccer Spring Schedule Features Four Home...
The Loyola University Maryland men's soccer team will have five contests and an alumni game this ...
62 Students Named To Fall Patriot League Honor ...
Loyola University Maryland had 62 student-athletes named to the Patriot League Academic Honor...
Patriot League Network Features Three Green &...
Melanie Pellowski, the Patriot League Network's correspondent, highlights three Loyola University...
Men's And Women's Soccer Earn NSCAA Team...
The Loyola University Maryland men's and women's soccer teams were among 861 college soccer teams...
Friday, Aug 28 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Saint Francis (Pa.) Ridley Athletic Complex T, 0-0 (2OT) Video Monday, Aug 31 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE La Salle Philadelphia, Pa. 7:00 PM Saturday, Sept 5 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Old Dominion Ridley Athletic Complex 7:00 PM Video Tuesday, Sept 8 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Duke Durham, N.C. 7:00 PM Saturday, Sept 12 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE UMBC Ridley Athletic Complex 7:00 PM Video Saturday, Sept 19 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE George Washington Washington, D.C. 1:00 PM