Men's Soccer Opens Season At Saint Joseph's Friday
Aug 29, 2013
|Opponent||Saint Joseph's Hawks|
|Date||Friday, August 30, 2013|
|Location||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania | Sweeney Field|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video | Audio|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
|Game Notes||Loyola Notes|
Loyola Men’s Soccer
• Loyola is beginning its 71st season as a men’s soccer program, while this will mark the Greyhounds’ 32nd year of competition as an NCAA Division I program.
• It is also Loyola’s inaugural year as a member of the Patriot League.
• The Greyhounds were members of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference for 24 years, posting an overall record of 167-24-8 in conference games. Loyola also claimed eight regular-season titles and four MAAC Tournament titles from 1989-2012.
• The Greyhounds return seven starters from a squad that posted an overall record of 13-6-1, including a league-best 7-1 record in MAAC play. Loyola strung together an eight-game win streak, its longest since 2009, and barely missed earning a berth to the NCAA Championships with an RPI of 44.
• Loyola finished the year ranked second in the NSCAA North Atlantic Region and was one of only 30 schools nationally with at least 13 wins.
Saint Joseph’s Hawks
• Saint Joseph’s is coming off a season in which it won more games than its previous three seasons combined.
• The Hawks return 10 starters from a squad that posted a 5-11-2 record, including Atlantic 10 All-Rookie selection midfielder Tim Lazorko. Leading scorers Alex Critzos (5g, 12pts), Pat McGlynn (2g, 5pts) and Jake Nelson (2g, 7pts) also return.
• Saint Joseph’s escaped Ridley Athletic Complex with a 2-1 overtime victory in September last year. The game featured a combined 46 shots, as well as a game-winning penalty shot for the Hawks.
• Loyola got on the board first, in the 81st minute, but the Hawks responded in the 83rd minute. The game looked to be headed to a 1-1 tie, but Saint Joseph’s converted a penalty kick with 8.8 seconds remaining in overtime to secure the victory.
• Loyola is 44-21-5 in season openers and 20-11-3 since joining Division I in 1979.
• Under head coach Mark Mettrick, the Greyhounds are 7-4-2 in openers.
• While the Greyhounds have never faced Saint Joseph’s in a season opener, they hold an 8-3-0 record versus the Hawks.
• This marks the fourth-straight season Loyola has opened the year away from home.
• The Greyhounds will remain on the road, heading back to Philadelphia to face La Salle in a 7 p.m. game on Wednesday, Sept. 4.
Dooley Named Senior CLASS Award Candidate
• Senior Stephen Dooley is one of 30 candidates for the prestigious Senior CLASS Award.
• An acronym for Celebrating Loyalty and Achievement for Staying in School®, the Senior CLASS Award focuses on the total student-athlete and encourages students to use their platform in athletics to make a positive impact as leaders in their communities.
• To be eligible for the award, a student-athlete must be classified as an NCAA Division I senior and have notable achievements in four areas of excellence - community, classroom, character and competition.
• Dooley has played in 42 games throughout his career, scoring 10 goals and adding 14 assists for 34 points. He earned a spot on the Patriot League’s preseason all-league team this year and has garnered accolades such as NSCAA All-North Atlantic Region Third Team, All-MAAC First Team, NSCAA Scholar All-America Third Team and MAAC All-Academic Team honors.
• Off the field, Dooley is a Dean’s List honoree and has been involved with service projects, most notably Soccer Without Borders, a local refugee program learning to interact in their new home.
• Dooley is Loyola’s third men’s soccer student-athlete to be named a candidate. Tennant McVea (2009) and Phil Bannister (2010) both went on to be named finalists.
• Dooley is one of two Patriot Leaguers honored, joining American’s Colin Seigfreid.
Patriot League Offensive Player Of The Year
• Sophomore Larry Ndjock was voted Patriot League Preseason Offensive Player of the Year.
• The MAAC Rookie of the Year and all-conference first-team selection last year, Ndjock is coming off a campaign that saw him lead the MAAC in scoring and rank as the No. 2 freshman in the NCAA in goals (13) and points (29).
• Ndjock earned College Soccer News Preseason All-America Third Team honors this year.
Preseason All-Patriot League Team
• Senior Stephen Dooley and sophomore Larry Ndjock were selected to the Patriot League’s 11-member preseason all-conference team.
• Ndjock was one of two sophomores honored, joining Navy’s Derek Vogel, while he and Dominique Badji were the forwards selected.
• Dooley was one of four midfielders - all seniors - named to the preseason team. American’s Colin Seigfreid, Boston University’s Anthony Ciccone and Lafayette’s Alec Golini were the other midfielders.
Greyhounds Picked Third In Preseason Poll
• The Greyhounds garnered 121 points, including four first-place votes, to check in third in the 2013 Patriot League Preseason Poll.
• American was selected as the preseason favorite with 151 points and nine first-place votes, while fellow-newcomer Boston University was second, collecting 130 points and three first-place votes.
• Lafayette checked in fourth with 115 points and three first-place votes, while Colgate rounded out the top five with 98 points and one first-place vote.
• Bucknell (87 points), Navy (67), Lehigh (51), Holy Cross (44) and Army (36) wrapped up the preseason poll.
• Former assistant coach Kyle Swarts has returned to the Greyhounds’ bench as a volunteer goalkeeper coach.
• Swarts previously served as a four-year assistant goalkeeper coach at Loyola before stepping aside from the coaching staff in 2011 to focus on his job as a Director of Business Development in the healthcare industry.
• During his four years at Loyola, from 2007-11, Swarts tutored the Greyhounds’ goalkeepers as Loyola reached a school Division I record three-consecutive NCAA College Cups.
• Swarts also saw Milos Kocic ‘08 become one of the top goalkeepers in the nation. Kocic led Division I in goals against average in 2007 and was an NSCAA All-America Second Team member in 2008. He was a second round draft pick by D.C. United in the MLS SuperDraft and currently plays for the MLS’ Toronto F.C.
• The Greyhounds brought in 13 freshmen and one transfer to replace a graduating class that featured four starters.
• The diverse class represents three countries - England, Germany and the United States - and four states - Maryland, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania.
• Laurin Vogel is the second Greyhound on the roster to come to Baltimore from Germany, as sophomore Larry Ndjock also hails from Germany.
• Loyola now has five players from England on the roster, as Ryan Tuck and Jordan Watson join Jamie Libby, Dominic Marshall and Connor Thompson.
• David Warburton is the lone Greyhound to come from Maryland in the class.
Twelve Newcomers Join Men's Soccer Program As...
Loyola University Maryland head men’s soccer coach Steve Nichols announced that 12...
Men's Soccer Unveils 8-Game Home Slate, 2015...
Loyola University Maryland will host eight men’s soccergames at Ridley Athletic as part of ...
Sanchez To Start Play In Olympic Qualifying For...
Loyola University Maryland men’s soccer junior-to-be Matt Sanchez is slated to be the...
Eight Greyhound Teams Recognized By NCAA For...
Eight Loyola University Maryland athletic teams were recognized Wednesday by the NCAA for being...
Sanchez To Make Debut With Puerto Rican...
Loyola University Maryland's men's soccer goalkeeper Matt Sanchez is projected to make the start ...
Men's Soccer To Hold Open Tryouts Saturday,...
Loyola University Maryland men's soccer team will hold open tryouts for all interested and...
Men's Soccer Spring Schedule Features Four Home...
The Loyola University Maryland men's soccer team will have five contests and an alumni game this ...
62 Students Named To Fall Patriot League Honor ...
Loyola University Maryland had 62 student-athletes named to the Patriot League Academic Honor...
Saturday, Sept 5 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Old Dominion Ridley Athletic Complex 7:00 PM Video Tuesday, Sept 8 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Duke Durham, N.C. 7:00 PM Saturday, Sept 12 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE UMBC Ridley Athletic Complex 7:00 PM Video Saturday, Sept 19 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE George Washington Washington, D.C. 1:00 PM Saturday, Sept 26 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Navy Annapolis, Md. 8:00 PM Naval Academy Access & Parking
Tuesday, Sept 29 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Rutgers Piscataway, N.J. 7:00 PM