Men's Soccer Begins 2014 Season At St. Francis (Pa.) Friday
|Opponent||St. Francis (Pa.) Red Flash|
|Date||August 29, 2014|
|Location||Loretto, Pennsylvania | Stokes Soccerplex|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
Loyola Men’s Soccer
• Loyola is beginning its 72nd season as a men’s soccer program, and its 33rd year of competition as an NCAA Division I program.
• The 2013 season was Loyola’s inaugural year as a member of the Patriot League, while 2014 will mark the first year the Greyhounds will compete under new head coach Steve Nichols.
• Prior to joining the Patriot League, Loyola was a member of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference for 24 years, posting an overall record of 167-24-8 in conference games from 1989-2012. Loyola also claimed 16 regular-season titles and 12 MAAC Tournament titles.
• Loyola opened 2013 with its best start since 2008, going unbeaten through its first six games.
• The Greyhounds hit a rough patch after that though, posting an eight-game winless streak.
• Loyola snapped its streak with a 3-1 win over American, marking the program’s first-ever Patriot League victory, and capped off the year with a 1-0 shutout win vs. Lafayette on Senior Day.
• The Greyhounds earned their first conference point with a tie at Colgate on October 5.
• The Greyhounds return 14 letterwinners from the 2013 squad and, in addition to a new coaching staff, will welcome 10 newcomers to the program.
• Loyola, finishing ninth in the Patriot League last year, was picked to finish eighth this season, just one vote behind Lafayette (57 points).
• Loyola welcomes new head coach, and former Greyhound, Steve Nichols to the helm of the program for the 2014 season.
• Nichols kept assistant coach Matt Dwyer on staff, while also bringing Michael Marchiano and Matt Pasquinelli to the program.
• Dwyer will begin his eighth season with the Greyhounds, while Marchiano comes to Loyola from fellow Patriot League-foe Army. In two seasons, Marchiano helped the Black Knights turn a 4-10-3 record into a 12-3-3 mark in 2013 and a second-place finish in the league, its best placement since winning the league in 1996.
• Pasquinelli spent the past two seasons at George Washington and will serve this year as the volunteer assistant and goalkeeper coach.
St. Francis (Pa.) Red Flash
• St. Francis (Pa.) was selected to finish second in the Northeast Conference, tying Fairleigh Dickinson in votes received.
• The Red Flash led the conference last season in goals allowed (13) and goals-against average (0.68), while boasting the second-most shutouts (7).
• All-NEC defenders Bryan Causey, Francis de Vries - a Top Drawer Soccer Third Team Preseason All-American - and Mitch Kavlick will look to lead St. Francis to its second-straight NCAA Tournament appearance.
• The Red Flash were knocked out of the 2013 NCAA Tournament after playing Bryant to a 2-2 tie in Connecticut. The Bulldogs advanced on penalty kicks.
Versus The Red Flash
• Loyola is 2-0-1 against St. Francis, with the two squads playing for the fourth-straight year.
• The Greyhounds won the inaugural meeting, 1-0, at home in 2011 and also earned a 1-0 win last year at Ridley Athletic Complex. The squads played to a scoreless draw at St. Francis in 2012.
Last Meeting At Stokes Soccerplex
• Stokes Soccerplex is a tough place for any opponent to play, as the Red Flash boast a 21-5-5 record through their last 31 contests at home.
• In Loyola’s last contest at the complex, the Greyhounds played St. Francis to a scoreless draw, marking just the third time in 16 games that the Red Flash weren’t victorious at home.
• The Greyhounds will return home for their home opener on Tuesday.
• Loyola will host Howard at Ridley Athletic Complex at 7 p.m.
Men's Soccer Concludes Season With Loss To Holy...
The Loyola University Maryland men’s soccer team concluded its season with a 2-0 loss to...
Senior Day Saturday For Men's Soccer Vs....
The Loyola men's soccer team will conclude its season on Saturday hosting Holy Cross for Senior...
Men's Soccer Falls At Colgate, 1-0
The Loyola University Maryland men’s soccer team fell to Colgate, 1-0, Saturday afternoon...
Men's Soccer Falls At Bucknell In Rain-Soak...
The Loyola University Maryland men’s soccer team fell to Bucknell, 5-0, in a rain-soaked...
Men's Soccer Travels To Bucknell Wednesday,...
The Loyola men's soccer team has a pair of road games this week, as the Greyhounds travel to...
Men's Soccer Unable To Overcome First-Half Goal...
The Loyola University Maryland men’s soccer team gave up a late first-half goal and was...
Men's Soccer Welcomes Army West Point To...
The Loyola University Maryland men's soccer team will close out its schedule with four-straight...
Saling's Hat Trick Gets Men's Soccer Last-Minut...
Freshman Xander Saling scored his first career goal and finished with a hat trick to lead the...
There are no upcoming events.