Men's Soccer Begins 2014 Season At St. Francis (Pa.) Friday
|Opponent||St. Francis (Pa.) Red Flash|
|Date||August 29, 2014|
|Location||Loretto, Pennsylvania | Stokes Soccerplex|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
Loyola Men’s Soccer
• Loyola is beginning its 72nd season as a men’s soccer program, and its 33rd year of competition as an NCAA Division I program.
• The 2013 season was Loyola’s inaugural year as a member of the Patriot League, while 2014 will mark the first year the Greyhounds will compete under new head coach Steve Nichols.
• Prior to joining the Patriot League, Loyola was a member of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference for 24 years, posting an overall record of 167-24-8 in conference games from 1989-2012. Loyola also claimed 16 regular-season titles and 12 MAAC Tournament titles.
• Loyola opened 2013 with its best start since 2008, going unbeaten through its first six games.
• The Greyhounds hit a rough patch after that though, posting an eight-game winless streak.
• Loyola snapped its streak with a 3-1 win over American, marking the program’s first-ever Patriot League victory, and capped off the year with a 1-0 shutout win vs. Lafayette on Senior Day.
• The Greyhounds earned their first conference point with a tie at Colgate on October 5.
• The Greyhounds return 14 letterwinners from the 2013 squad and, in addition to a new coaching staff, will welcome 10 newcomers to the program.
• Loyola, finishing ninth in the Patriot League last year, was picked to finish eighth this season, just one vote behind Lafayette (57 points).
• Loyola welcomes new head coach, and former Greyhound, Steve Nichols to the helm of the program for the 2014 season.
• Nichols kept assistant coach Matt Dwyer on staff, while also bringing Michael Marchiano and Matt Pasquinelli to the program.
• Dwyer will begin his eighth season with the Greyhounds, while Marchiano comes to Loyola from fellow Patriot League-foe Army. In two seasons, Marchiano helped the Black Knights turn a 4-10-3 record into a 12-3-3 mark in 2013 and a second-place finish in the league, its best placement since winning the league in 1996.
• Pasquinelli spent the past two seasons at George Washington and will serve this year as the volunteer assistant and goalkeeper coach.
St. Francis (Pa.) Red Flash
• St. Francis (Pa.) was selected to finish second in the Northeast Conference, tying Fairleigh Dickinson in votes received.
• The Red Flash led the conference last season in goals allowed (13) and goals-against average (0.68), while boasting the second-most shutouts (7).
• All-NEC defenders Bryan Causey, Francis de Vries - a Top Drawer Soccer Third Team Preseason All-American - and Mitch Kavlick will look to lead St. Francis to its second-straight NCAA Tournament appearance.
• The Red Flash were knocked out of the 2013 NCAA Tournament after playing Bryant to a 2-2 tie in Connecticut. The Bulldogs advanced on penalty kicks.
Versus The Red Flash
• Loyola is 2-0-1 against St. Francis, with the two squads playing for the fourth-straight year.
• The Greyhounds won the inaugural meeting, 1-0, at home in 2011 and also earned a 1-0 win last year at Ridley Athletic Complex. The squads played to a scoreless draw at St. Francis in 2012.
Last Meeting At Stokes Soccerplex
• Stokes Soccerplex is a tough place for any opponent to play, as the Red Flash boast a 21-5-5 record through their last 31 contests at home.
• In Loyola’s last contest at the complex, the Greyhounds played St. Francis to a scoreless draw, marking just the third time in 16 games that the Red Flash weren’t victorious at home.
• The Greyhounds will return home for their home opener on Tuesday.
• Loyola will host Howard at Ridley Athletic Complex at 7 p.m.
71 Student-Athletes Named To Fall Patriot...
Loyola University Maryland placed 71 student-athletes on their respective sports’ Patriot...
Marchiano Hired As Manager Of Baltimore Bohemians
Loyola University Maryland men's soccer assistant coach Michael Marchiano has been hired as the...
Men's Soccer Alumni Weekend, Golf Outing Set...
Loyola Men's Soccer Head Coach Steve Nichols '92 invites all alumni, friends and family back to...
Four Greyhounds Named To MAAC 35th Anniversary ...
Four former Loyola University Maryland men’s and women’s soccer players were included...
Sanchez Named Player Of Match After Performance...
Loyola University Maryland men's soccer goalkeeper Matt Sanchez was named the Most Valuable...
Men's Soccer To Host Second Winter ID Camp...
The Loyola University Maryland men's soccer program has announced that it will hold a second...
Men's Soccer Concludes Season With Loss To Holy...
The Loyola University Maryland men’s soccer team concluded its season with a 2-0 loss to...
Senior Day Saturday For Men's Soccer Vs....
The Loyola men's soccer team will conclude its season on Saturday hosting Holy Cross for Senior...
There are no upcoming events.