Men's And Women's Lacrosse Doubleheader Saturday
March 8, 2012
|Men's Game Information|
|Opponent||Duke Blue Devils|
|Date||Saturday, March 10, 2012|
|Location||Baltimore, Md.| Ridley Athletic Complex|
|Online Media||Free Video | Free Audio | Live Stats|
|Game Notes||Loyola Men's Notes|
Women's Game Information
|Date||Saturday, March, 2012|
|Location||Baltimore, Md. | Ridley Athletic Complex|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video | Audio|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
|Game Notes||Loyola Women's Notes|
• Loyola University Maryland returns home to battle No. 11/9 Duke University on Saturday, March 10, at Ridley Athletic Complex at noon.
• The Greyhounds are off to their first 4-0 start since 2002 when the squad won its first seven games.
• This is the 24th meeting all-time between the Blue Devils and the Greyhounds, with Duke holding a 14-9 advantage in the series.
• Duke has won five-straight over Loyola and eight of the last nine, including topping the Greyhounds, 11-9, in the first-ever game played at Ridley Athletic Complex on March 13, 2010.
• The last time the Greyhounds defeated the Blue Devils was on March 10, 2007, when Loyola beat Duke, 8-7, in The First Four held in San Diego Calif.
• The Blue Devils beat Loyola, 14-9, in Durham, N.C. last season. Mike Sawyer scored five goals for the Greyhounds in the loss.
• The series dates back to 1946 and the team’s have played at least once every season since 2000.
In The Polls
• Loyola moved up to No. 9 in the USILA Coaches’ Poll, and 12th in the Nike/Inside Lacrosse Media Rankings after its 11-8 victory at Bellarmine. The Greyhounds are one of four ECAC teams in the polls, joining Denver (13/11), Ohio State (20/18) and Fairfield (17/17).
Finding The Back Of The Net
• Loyola has posted 10 or more goals through the first four games to open the season, marking the first time since 2001 that the team has scored 10-plus goals in four-straight games.
• The Greyhounds tallied 10 or more goals for seven-straight games in 2001, going 5-2 in those contests.
• Through the first four games, the Greyhounds rank 12th in NCAA Division I in goals per game (13.00) as of the March 5 rankings.
Toomey Wins 50th
• Head coach Chaley Toomey recorded his 50th-career win on Wednesday night as the Greyhounds defeated Michigan, 15-8.
• Toomey, who is in his seventh season, has led Loyola to eight-plus wins in each of the last three seasons and has had the Greyhounds finish .500 or better in al seven seasons since coming to Baltimore.
Record At Ridley
• After going 4-1 at Ridley Athletic Complex last season, the Greyhounds opened their third year at the stadium with a 13-8 win over then-No. 19 Delaware and a 13-6 victory against Towson. Loyola is now 10-3 all-time at Ridley.
• Loyola plays its second of three-straight at home when the Greyhounds battle ECAC-foe Air Force on Saturday, March 17 at noon.
• The Greyhounds host Georgetown on Wednesday, March 21, at 7 p.m.
• UMBC will mark the third and final Baltimore rivel that the Greyhounds will face this year.
• Loyola split its meetings with No. 17/20 Johns Hopkins and vs. Towson this year.
• The Greyhounds beat the Blue Jays, 11-7, before being upset by Towson, 7-6.
Loyola Greyhounds (2-2, 0-0 BIG EAST)
• Loyola is coming off a 12-10 overtime win at No. 14/12 Penn State Wednesday night.
• Over half of Loyola’s scoring this year has come from its freshman class, as 21 of the 38 goals scored this year have been notched by a newcomer.
• Sophomore Marlee Paton leads the Greyhounds in scoring with 12 points, while junior Cass Cursaro has a team-high eight goals.
• Defensively, Loyola leads the BIG EAST in ground balls per game (24.75) and is second in caused turnovers per game (12.5).
• Senior Kerry Stoothoff is allowing 9.03 goals per game, while stopping 50.7 percent of shots faced.
• Senior Kellye Gallagher leads the team with 13 caused turnovers and 15 ground balls.
Scouting UMBC (2-3, 0-0 America East)
• UMBC is coming off a 15-6 win over Delaware Wednesday night.
• Lindsay Cox leads the offense with 13 goals and four assists, while Alicia Krause has 11 points on eight goals and three assists.
• Jessica Harkey leads the defense with nine caused turnovers and nine ground balls.
• Kristen Bilney has won a team-high 18 draw controls.
• In goal, Kendall Mason has played 198 minutes and is allowing 10.92 goals per game, while stopping 34.5 percent of shots faced. Anna Barnett has played 100 minutes, stopping 50.0 percent of shots faced, while giving up 6.46 goals per game.
• Loyola leads the series, 26-3-1, and has won two straight.
• The series dates back to 1973 and the teams played annually until 1990. The series was renewed to annual in 2000 and the teams have met every season since.
• Loyola won last year’s contest in Catonsville, Md, 15-8.
Loyola vs. Baltimore Opponents
• On Wednesday, Feb. 29, Loyola beat No. 17/20 Johns Hopkin, 11-7, but turned around and fell to Towson, 7-6, on Saturday, March 3.
• Against the three Baltimore-based opponents, Loyola holds an all-time record of 69-12-1.
• The Greyhounds are 12-0 vs. Johns Hopkins, 30-9 vs. Towson and 27-3-1 vs. UMBC.
• Loyola will remain home to host Delaware on Wednesday. The Greyhounds will face the Blue Hens at 6 p.m. at Ridley Athletic Complex.
Frazier, Sherlock Named To Academic All-Patriot...
A pair of Loyola University Maryland men's lacrosse captains - senior defender Pat Frazier and...
Army West Point Rallies To Beat Men's Lacrosse,...
The U.S. Military Academy scored with 5.7 seconds left in regulation, its sixth-straight goal,...
Five Loyola Men's Lacrosse Players Earn All...
Three Loyola University Maryland men's lacrosse players - Pat Frazier (defense), Zach Herreweyers...
Patriot League Men's Lax Championships Open...
Loyola University Maryland men's lacrosse opens play in the Patriot League Championships on...
Bucknell Goes On Late Run, Tops Men's...
Bucknell University's Sean Doyle scored 45 seconds into overtime, and the Bison defeated Loyola...
Regular-Season Wraps Up Friday At Bucknell For ...
Loyola University Maryland men's lacrosse plays its final regular-season game of 2015 on Friday, ...
Limone Picks Up Second-Straight Corvias Patriot...
Grant Limone, a Loyola University Maryland men's lacrosse freshman, was named the Corvias Patriot...
Limone, Defense Come Up Big In Men's Lacrosse...
Grant Limone saved 17 Boston University shots, and the Loyola University Maryland men's lacrosse ...
There are no upcoming events.