Skip to main content Skip to footer

Men's Lacrosse Holds Off No. 7 Johns Hopkins For 9-8 Win

Feb. 20, 2016

Final Stats |  Photo Gallery 

BALTIMORE - Grant Limone made a save with 52 seconds left on a step-down, 15-yard shot by Patrick Frazer, and eighth-ranked Loyola University Maryland ran out the clock to defeat No. 7 Johns Hopkins University, 9-8, Saturday afternoon in front of 4,868 fans at Ridley Athletic Complex.

The Blue Jays (1-1 overall) drew within a goal four times in the second half after Loyola (2-0) went up 5-2 at halftime, but the Greyhounds denied them the opportunity to tie the score.

Johns Hopkins made it a one-goal game with 8:43 left in regulation as John Crawley scored unassisted after getting topside from behind the cage.

Loyola won the faceoff and ran nearly two minutes off the clock, but Johns Hopkins' goalkeeper Brock Turnbaugh made a save on a Jay Drapeau shot from the left side, and the Blue Jays cleared the ball to their offensive end.

Limone turned away two Crawley shots, but neither save came cleanly, and Johns Hopkins managed four more shots during the possession.

After a Crawley shot with 4:21 remaining in the game, Ryan Brown mishandled a pass from the opposite side, and pressure from Foster Huggins did not allow him to pick the ball up cleanly. Brown nudged the ball over the sideline, and possession went to the Greyhounds.

Loyola ran its offense for almost two minutes, resulting in a good look fro Pat Spencer from the high right side that sailed wide. It came at the end of the 30-second clock, and Johns Hopkins got the ball back with 1:56 to play.

The Blue Jays ran the ball into their box and called a timeout with 1:39 to play, down one. Kyle Marr missed a shot left, and Crawley attempted one that flew high. Both were backed up by the Blue Jays, and Frazer had one more opportunity from 15 yards out in front of the goal.

Limone saved it cleanly, and Brian Begley cleared it to the other end. Begley and Brian Sherlock carried the ball for the Greyhounds to run the clock out, sealing the win.

The win was the third-straight for Loyola in the series, marking the first time the Greyhounds have ever won three in a row against the Blue Jays.

Johns Hopkins' late rally came after the Greyhounds went up three early in the final quarter.

Fraser scored with just over 12 seconds to go in the third quarter off a Shack Stanwick assist, pulling the Blue Jays within one, 7-6, but Zach Herreweyers scored 44 seconds into the fourth to push Loyola back up two.

Johns Hopkins had the fourth's first possession, but David Manning stripped Holden Cattoni, and Jared Mintzlaff ran a one-man clear to the Loyola end. Mintzlaff shot went into Turnbaugh's chest, but the ball ricocheted to just outside the crease where Herreweyers scooped it up and scored his third of the game.

Mike Orefice won the ensuing faceoff to Tyler Albrecht, and Albrecht had a shot go wide left at 14:07. The Greyhounds settled their offense for a set, and Brian Sherlock capped it by dodging from the high left side. With a defender draped over him, he shot a right-handed sidearm rip inside the far post, putting Loyola in front, 9-6, at 12:58.

The Blue Jays, however, did not sit in a three-goal hole for long. Marr used a Stanwick pass to score on a man-up possession at 11:19. Crawleys' goal at 8:43 then set up the final standoff of possessions.

The teams traded goals, two for each, in the game's first 7:33. Herreweyers opened scoring with a tally off a Zack Sirico feed, but Ryan Brown bookended an Albrecht goal to tie the score at 2-2 with 7:27 to play in the opening quarter.

Johnny Giuffreda then tallied his first career goal off a Pat Spencer feed with 3:49 to play in the first, giving Loyola a lead it would not relinquish.

Spencer assisted on the next goal, a Jeff Chase score from the doorstep after Spencer faked a pass and dumped the ball to Chase on the left side of the goal. Spencer then scored himself, using a Herrweyers feed to bounce one close to Turnbaugh and score at 4:17.

That score put Loyola in front 5-2 at halftime, but Wilkins Dismuke and Crawley scored at 13:49 and 11:25 in the third quarter, giving the Blue Jays momentum early in the second half.

Spencer, however, triggered the next Loyola goal, making a long north-south run from the left side before shooting a cross-crease pass to Herreweyers who scored at 8:40.

Marr brought Johns Hopking back within one, 6-5, just 46 seconds later, but Chase scored his second at 3:19, getting free down the right side to score with the 30-second clock on.

Chase's second score made it 7-5 Loyola, but Johns Hopkins would get back within one 12 ticks before the expiration of the third.

Herreweyers led all players with three goals, and Spencer matched with a game-high four points (one goal, four assists). Chase added a pair of goals for Loyola, and Sherlock tallied one goal and an assist.

Brown, Crawley and Marr each scored twice for Johns Hopkins, but Brown did not score a goal after tallying two in the game's first eight minutes thanks in large part to the marking of Huggins.

Limone finished with 10 saves, four coming in the fourth quarter.

Johns Hopkins won two of the first half's nine faceoffs, but Orefice took the majority of the draws in the second for Loyola and finished 7-of-12 with five ground balls.

Jack Carrigan picked up five ground balls and caused three turnovers for Loyola, while David Manning caused two.

The Greyhounds open Patriot League play on Saturday, Feb. 27, at 1 p.m. when they host Lafayette College at Ridley Athletic Complex.






  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago


proud sponsors of greyhound athletics