Men's Basketball Hosts Exhibition Action Thursday Night
|Opponent||Elizabethtown Blue Jays | Exhibition|
|Date||Thursday, November 2, 2017|
|Location||Baltimore, Md. | Reitz Arena|
|Watch||Patriot League Network|
Quick Hits About The Hounds
- Loyola men's basketball opens the doors to Reitz Arena for the first time in 2017-2018 on November 2 when the Greyhounds host Elizabethtown College in a 7 p.m. exhibition game.
- The game will air live on the Patriot League Network and admission is free to all fans.
Series History Versus Elizabethtown
- Loyola and Elizabethtown have met once in regular-season play. The Greyhounds scored an 83-74 victory over the Blue Jays during the 1955-1956 season.
About The Blue Jays
- Elizabethtown is a NCAA Division III school located in Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania, between Harrisburg and Lancaster.
- The Blue Jays finished the 2016-2017 season with a 5-19 record and 2-12 mark in the Landmark Conference.
- Britt Moore will make his Elizabethtown coaching debut when the teams take the floor on Thursday. Moore was named the 12th coach in program history in May 2017.
- The Blue Jays return one player who started half or more of their games last year, Jamil Pines-Elliott. Bryce Greene is the team's leading returning scorer after posting 6.2 points per game last year. Connor Moffatt is the Blue Jays' leading returning rebounder at 3.8 per game.
- Andre Walker was one of five players named to the Preseason All-Patriot League Team by the conference's coaches. The Greyhounds' leading scorer the last two years, Walker is the active career scoring leader in the Patriot League with 1,225 points heading into the 2017-2018 campaign.
- Last year, Walker became Loyola's first player to earn All-Patriot League First Team honors since the Greyhounds joined the conference in 2013-2014. He also earned All-Patriot League Second Team recognition as a sophomore in 2015-2016.
- The Greyhounds were picked to finish sixth in the Patriot League Preseason Poll.
- Loyola welcomed five new players and an assistant coach to the program over the offseason.
- Isaiah Hart, Brent Holcombe, Luke Johnson, Ethan Norton and River Reed will don their Loyola uniforms for the first time against Elizabethtown, while Kevin Driscoll will make his first appearance on the Greyhounds bench as an assistant.
- Driscoll, who was an assistant with Elizabethtown Head Coach Britt Moore at Albright College, joined the Greyhounds after spending 2016-2017 at NJIT and Holy Cross from 2013-2016.
- Hart was an All-State guard at Whiteford Academy in Smyrna, Georgia, where he averaged 20 or more points as a junior and senior. He averaged 26.9 points, 5.7 rebounds, 3.7 assists and 3.2 steals per game as a senior and was named the Georgia High School Association Player of the Year.
- Holcombe joins the Greyhounds out of Miami's Coral Reef High School where he was an All-Dade County Second Team honoree in both 2015-16 and 2016-17. Last year, he averaged a double-double with 18.0 points, 13.3 rebounds and 3.2 blocked shots.
- Johnson was a four-year standout at Lexington (Kentucky) Catholic, picking up All-Kentucky Second Team recognition as a senior. He averaged 22 points and seven assists as a senior in 2016-2017.
- Norton, the younger brother of fellow Greyhounds walk-on Sam, was named to the All-Mid-Atlantic Prep League (MAPL) Team after garnering The Hill School's Most Valuable Player honors in 2016-2017.
- Reed averaged 16.8 points and 8.4 rebounds per game for Reagan High School in San Antonio as a senior where he was named All-Area 6A. Over his four-year career, Reed averaged 11.7 points and 7.2 rebounds for the Rattlers.
- Andre Walker's game-winning layup with 27.3 seconds left against Lehigh on Feb. 1, 2017, was his third game-winning basket of the season and second against the Mountain Hawks. He hit a three with three with eight-tenths of a second left on Jan. 5 in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, to push Loyola in front for an 84-83 win the first time the teams met.
- Earlier in the year, Walker hit a winning layup with five-tenths of a second remaining at Stony Brook, giving the Greyhounds a 71-70 road win. He then came up defensively at American, keeping the Eagles' Sa'eed Nelson from driving and blocking his 3-pointer at the buzzer for a two-point win.
- Walker now has scored game-winning points six times during his career. Last year, he scored on a drive to the basket with less than five seconds left at home against Lehigh, and he hit two free throws with just over three ticks on the clock for a win at the U.S. Military Academy. As a freshman in 2013-2014, he made two free throws with 6.9 seconds left to beat Colgate University in triple overtime.
- In the Patriot League Quarterfinals, Walker became the 25th player in program history to score 1,200 or more points. With 1,213 points, Walker currently sits 23rd in Loyola history. Against Lafayette in the First Round, he became the 10th player in school history with 300-plus assists and is 10th with 313. His 146 steals rank seventh all-time.
Cam Contributing Big In League Play
- Cam Gregory saw the biggest jump on the team of points per game in the Patriot League (12.6) versus overall (9.9). He scored 226 of his 326 points last year in those 18 games.
- Gregory made 93 of 137 shots, good for 67.9 percent from the field; that mark led the conference in League games, and his 63.8 overall mark was second in the conference. He was Loyola's top rebounder in conference games with 146, 8.1 per, and overall with 251 and 7.6.
- Gregory grabbed 12 rebounds at Boston University in the Patriot League Quarterfinals and became the 14th in program history to total 600-plus at Loyola. He is now 12th all-time at Loyola with 621 rebounds and is one of two active Patriot League players with 600 or more (Nana Foulland, Bucknell, 662).
- Gregory had seven double-doubles last season, all of which have come in the last 16 games. Since his Jan. 16, when he had his first double-double of the year with 15 points and 12 rebounds against Boston University, Gregory averaged 12.9 points and 8.9 rebounds.
- During the stretch of 17 games, Gregory has not made less than 50 percent of his shots from the field in a game. He scored fewer than 10 points just twice, both time when he was limited by fouls.
Three Ink National Letters Of Intent With Men...
Devon Flowers,, Kenny Jones and Casmir Ochiaka have signed National Letters of Intent and will...
Upset Bid Falls Just Short As No. 19...
Loyola's upset attempt of 19th-ranked Northwestern came up short Friday night as the Big Ten...
Loyola Athletics Ranks Seventh In NCAA's...
Loyola University Maryland continued its outstanding performance in the NCAA’s Graduation...
Men's Basketball Tips Off Season Friday At No. ...
Loyola men's basketball opens its 108th season of play on Friday, November 10, when it faces 19th...
Men’s Basketball Downs Elizabethtown In...
Loyola Andre Walker scored 19 points, and Cam Gregory grabbed 16 rebounds, as the Greyhounds men&...
Men's Basketball Hosts Exhibition Action...
Loyola men's basketball opens the door to Reitz Arena for the first time in 2017-2018 on Thursday...
Walker Named Preseason All-Patriot League
Loyola senior guard Andre Walker was named to the Preseason All-Patriot League Team on Wednesday ...
Men's Basketball Announces Dates For Patriot...
Loyola men’s basketball will open Patriot League action on Friday, December 29, when it...
Tuesday, Nov 21 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Goucher Reitz Arena 7:00 PM Sunday, Nov 26 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE UMass-Lowell Lowell, Mass. 2:00 PM Live Stats Tuesday, Nov 28 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Dartmouth Hanover, N.H. 7:00 PM Live Stats Saturday, Dec 2 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Mount St. Mary's Emmitsburg, Md. 4:00 PM Live Stats Wednesday, Dec 6 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Florida State Tallahassee, Fla. 7:00 PM Saturday, Dec 9 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Binghamton Reitz Arena 4:00 PM