Skip to main content Skip to footer

Mount Holds Off Men’s Basketball For Overtime Win

Isaiah Hart scored a career-high 26 points for Loyola.
Dec. 2, 2017

Final Stats |  Photo Gallery 

EMMITSBURG, Md. - Loyola University Maryland’s Isaiah Hart scored a career-high 26 points in his seventh collegiate game, but Mount St. Mary’s made nine free throws in overtime to secure an 80-75 non-conference victory on Saturday afternoon.

Hart made 11 of 19 shots from the field and also had a team-high four assists for the Greyhounds. Cam Gregory scored 19 points and had a team-high eight rebounds, while James Fives and Chuck Champion each scored 11.

Champion forced overtime with a twisting layup 12.1 seconds before the end of the second half, knotting the game at 69-69. Loyola got a defensive stop on Mount St. Mary’s final possession, and the action moved to overtime.

Fives grabbed an offensive rebound and scored in the paint to open scoring in the extra period, and after the Mountaineers missed a 3-pointer, Champion converted a pair of free throws to put Loyola up four, its largest lead of the game.

Mount St. Mary’s, however, scored the next five points on Junior Robinson free throws before Champion scored off a drive with 1:24 left, putting Loyola back up one, 75-74.

Robinson, who had 39 points for The Mount, made another two free throws with 59.1 seconds left, and Donald Carey tallied the Mountaineers’ lone field goal of overtime to push the lead to three with 41 seconds on the clock.

Both teams came up empty on their next possessions, and Loyola called a timeout with possession under 10 seconds to go. A 3-pointer rattled out off the in-bounds play, and Mount St. Mary’s grabbed the rebound. Robison made a pair of free throws to seal the win.

The Mountaineers (3-3 overall) took a 21-11 lead less than 10 minutes into action, but Loyola scored the next seven points on a three by Fives and layups by Gregory and KaVaughn Scott to get within three, 21-18, at 7:33.

Hart gave the Greyhounds (1-6) their first lead of the game with a layup at 4:04, but Mount St. Mary’s tallied nine in a row to go up 38-30 with 1:54 left in the stanza.

Loyola closed out the first half with eight-consecutive points, and Hart tied the game with a fast-break basket 26 seconds before halftime, sending the teams to the locker room tied at 38-38.

Mount St. Mary’s would go up by seven in the first nine minutes of the second half, but that was the largest deficit the Greyhounds faced in the period. The Greyhounds led twice in the final eight minutes only to see Robinson make one of two free throws with 2:35 left in regulation to give the Mountaineers a four-point lead.

Those points were The Mount’s last of regulation, however, and Cam Gregory made two free throws at 2:21 before Champion’s tying layup with 12.1 left forced overtime.

Loyola returns to action on Wednesday, December 6, when it wraps up a four-game road trip at Florida State University.






  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago


proud sponsors of greyhound athletics