Skip to main content Skip to footer

Walker's Free Throws Give Men's Hoops 100-99 Double-OT Win At Army

Andre Walker made 15-of-16 free throws and scored a career-high 31 points in the win.
Feb. 6, 2016

Final Stats

WEST POINT, N.Y. - Andre Walker scored a career-high 31 points with his final two free throws putting Loyola in front with 3.9 seconds left in double overtime to lift Loyola University Maryland to a 100-99 victory at the U.S. Military Academy on Saturday afternoon in Patriot League play.

Walker made 15-of-16 shots from the foul line, including each of his last 14. He tallied 29 of his points after halftime, four coming in the first overtime and eight in the second.

Jarred Jones tied his career-high with 28 points despite fouling out in the first overtime and playing only 34 minutes.

The game marked the first time since Jan. 5, 2000, that Loyola scored 100 or more points in a game. The Greyhounds beat Canisius College, 101-90, in the last contest when they hit the century mark.

Today's 100 points are the sixth-most the Greyhounds have scored in a game during the program's 106 seasons. It was the fourth time Loyola has tallied 100 or more as an NCAA Division I program (moved from Division II in 1982-1983. It also was the first 100-point outing on the road since scoring 102 at Siena College on Feb. 15, 1998.

Loyola made 83.8 percent (31-of-37) shots from the free-throw line in the game, converting all but one of its final 27 after going 5-of-10 from the stripe in the first half.

Franz Rassman, who added 11 points for Loyola (8-15 overall, 7-5 Patriot League), put Loyola in front, 57-56, with a layup and free throw at 8:37 in the second half, but Army West Point (13-11, 4-8) scored 11 of the next 13 to lead 67-59 on a Larry Toomey free throw with 6:30 on the clock.

Walker converted in the paint, and Jones scored the next four to get Loyola within a pair on a basket at 4:56, but the Black Knights would hold off the Greyhounds from taking the lead for more than three minutes.



Chancellor Barnard took a Walker pass and scored with 83 ticks on the clock, and he hit a free throw after being fouled to push Loyola up one, 74-73. Walker extended the lead to three with two free throws at 24.8, but Tanner Plomb knocked down a 15-foot jumper on Army West Point's next possession to make it a one-point game.

Loyola inbounded the ball to Walker who was fouled with 10.9 seconds left. He hit both free throws with the Black Knights calling a timeout in between the two, and the lead was three again.

Dylan Cox, however, made a fading-away, banked-in 3-pointer with a hand in his face with 1.6 seconds left to send the game to overtime tied at 78-78.

Kyle Wilson made a three 58 seconds into the first extra period to give the Black Knights an 83-80 advantage, and Cox hit a pair of free throws with 3:25 left to keep the lead at three.

Walker drew contact and made two free throws at 2:32, pulling the Greyhounds within one. The teams traded missed 3-pointers before Jones was called for his fifth foul during a loose ball scramble at 1:15.

Kennedy Edwards missed the front-end of his two free throws, however, before making the second, and it was an 86-84 Army West Point lead.

Walker got a lane to the rim, but his shot bounced off on Loyola's next possession. Rassman, however, tipped in the rebound, tying the game at 86-86 with 1:03 remaining in the first overtime.

Wilson hit a running layup on the right side with 36.8 left, giving the Black Knights a two-point advantage. Walker responded for Loyola, hitting a layup with 23 ticks on the clock, knotting the game again.

Army had three shots at the end of the first overtime after Mac Hoffman grabbed a pair of offensive rebounds, but none found the basket, and the teams headed to a second overtime.

The Black Knights scored the first five points of the second overtime to lead, 93-88, at 3:26 on a Tanner Plomb basket, but Walker hit two free throws 12 seconds later, and it was again a one-possession game.

A Barnard tip-in at 1:58, but Wilson made 1-of-2 at the line for the Black Knights 24 ticks later to push the Army West Point lead to 94-92.

Walker scored on a layup from the left side to tie the game at 94-94 with 59 seconds on the clock, but Plomb made a layup 11 ticks later and hit a free throw after drawing a foul, putting Army West Point in front by three.

This time, Tyler Hubbard beat his defender on a right baseline drive to score at 23.9, and Loyola was again within one.

The Greyhounds pressed the Black Knights, and Plomb fell down with catching the inbound pass. The ball deflected to Walker, and he laid it in with 20.3 seconds on the clock, staking the Greyhounds to a 98-97 lead.

Cox got to the line for Army West Point, drawing a foul with 12.3 seconds left on a drive to the basket. He made both free throws to put the Black Knights back up one, 99-98.

Loyola put the ball back in the hands of Walker, and he was fouled inside the paint with 3.9 seconds left. He made both free throws, and a Plomb heave from halfcourt as time expired went off to give the Greyhounds the win.

The Greyhounds posted their 100 points in a winning effort with some statistical abnormalities. They were just 1-of-10 from 3-point range and had only six assists. Army also controlled a 53-47 rebounding advantage, and the Black Knights scored 27 points off 25 offensive rebounds.

Plomb led Army West Point with 25 points, while Wilson had 22. Kevin Freguson and Dylan Cox recorded double-doubles for the Black Knights. They both scored 17 points, while Ferguson ahd 14 rebounds, and Cox added 10.

Walker, Jones and Rassman combined for 70 points for Loyola. Hubbard tallied nine and Barnard added eight. Rassman grabbed a team-best eight rebounds, while Jones and Cam Gregory each had seven.

Loyola returns to Retiz Arena for its next two games. It hosts the U.S. Naval Academy at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 10, before taking on Boston University on Saturday, Feb. 13.




  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago


proud sponsors of greyhound athletics