- INSIDE ATHLETICS
- FOR THE STUDENTS
Men's Tennis Knocks Off St. Francis Brooklyn To Open 2014
Jan. 25, 2014
SPARKS, Md. - With the sub-freezing temperatures and snow outside, the (Loyola) University Maryland ducked into the comfort of the Greenspring Racquet Club on Friday night for its first matches of 2014.
The men, who improved their record to 3-0 in dual matches this season, came away with a 6-1 victory over Saint Francis Brooklyn University.
Loyola’s men opened their portion of the match by sweeping the doubles point. Connor Pietrak and Alex Castro teamed to beat Andrew Proto and Alex Bosch, 8-1 at the No. 3 spot, and Greg Olesnycky and Jordan Kuchta toped Sacha Saga and James Chung, 8-0.
Five of six men’s players were winners in singles play with Pietrak leading the way at No. 1 by outlasting Blasco, 7-5, 6-7 (1), (6).
Four others were winners in straight-sets: Lisco defeated Saga, 6-1, 6-1; Olesnycky beat Proto, 6-1, 6-2; Kuchta knocked off Chung, 6-0, 6-0; and, Max Shanbrom topped Bosch, 6-0, 6-1. Terns scored the Terriers’ lone point with a 6-4, 2-6, (4), win over Kunkel.
Loyola Maryland 6, Saint Francis Brooklyn 1
1. Connor Pietrak (Loyola) d. Victor Blasco (SFNY), 7-5, 6-7 (1), (6)
2. Francis Terns ((SFNY)) d. Harrison Kunkel (Loyola), 6-4, 2-6, (4)
3. Connor Lisco (Loyola) d. Sacha Saga (SFNY), 6-1, 6-1
4. Greg Olesnycky (Loyola) d. Andrew Proto (SFNY), 6-1, 6-2
5. Jordan Kuchta (Loyola) d. James Chung (SFNY), 6-0, 6-0
6. Max Shanbrom (Loyola) d. Alex Bosch (SFNY), 6-0, 6-1
1. Kunkel/Lisco (Loyola) d. Blasco/Terns (SFNY), 9-8 (4)
2. Olesnycky/Kuchta (Loyola) d. Siga/Chung (SFNY), 8-0
3. Pietrak/Alex Castro (Loyola) d. Proto/Bosch (SFNY), 8-1