H1N1 Virus (Swine flu) protocols
If a student athlete presents any signs or symptoms of the H1N1 virus the Loyola University Sports Medicine Department will work with both the team physician and Student Health Services to provide the appropriate care and treatment.
The appropriate steps to follow will be:
· Report to sports medicine staff with any signs/symptoms of H1N1
· Student athlete will be referred to the team physician
· The team physician will take the appropriate testing procedure and decide on the treatment and care for the student athlete
· Student Health Services will be notified of a positive test result and will follow their previously set protocols.
Students living off campus: You will be advised to stay at home (out of class, work etc.) until you are symptom-free for 24 hours. You should only leave home if you require medical care and, when you go out; you should wear a surgical mask or cover your cough and sneezes with a tissue or cloth. At home, you should wear a mask to protect others you live with.
Students living on campus: You may be advised to return to your permanent home while you remain out of classes if you can do so by private transportation. If you cannot go home, please stay in your room. Do not eat in the dining hall. You can request permission to have a friend or roommate bring you food from the dining hall.
· If a positive test is found the student athlete will not be allowed to travel with the team until medically cleared by a doctor.
The Signs and symptoms of the H1N1 (swine flu) virus
In most people, the symptoms of H1N1 (swine flu) are similar to the symptoms of regular flu. Flu is basically a respiratory illness and symptoms (in adults) will include:
• Fever (>100 F)
• Sore Throat
• Runny nose/nasal congestion
• Body/muscle aches
• Chills and fatigue
• Occasionally vomiting and diarrhea
**If you develop the following symptoms, please seek urgent medical care:
• Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
• Pain or pressure in the chest or abdomen
• Sudden dizziness
• Severe or persistent vomiting
• Flu-like symptoms improve but then return with fever or worse cough
Some self-care measures are:
• Take fever reduces such as acetaminophen or Aleve as directed
• Drink extra fluids juices Gatorade, etc.
• Diet as tolerated
• Extra rest
• Stay home and don't go to work or school until 24 hours after symptoms subside
How to keep from spreading the H1N1 (swine flu):
There are very simple, everyday things you can do to protect yourself and others from flu germs:
• Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for 20 seconds. Hand sanitizers can also be used.
• Cough and sneeze into a tissue or the inside of your elbow.
• Stay at least six feet away from people who are sick.
• Sick people should stay home from school, daycare and stay away from other people until their fever and other symptoms have resolved for 24 hours.
• In communities where H1N1 (swine flu) has occurred, stay away from bars, shopping, malls, movie theaters, or other places where there are large groups of people.
Please refer to either the Loyola Univ. Health Center or the CDC website for further information
Albrecht, Carrigan, Manning, Sherlock Named Men...
Four Loyola University Maryland men's lacrosse players - seniors Tyler Albrecht and David Manning...
Marshall Drops 28 In Women's Basketball Wire-To...
Colleen Marshall scored 28 points, and Bri Betz-White added 19, as the Loyola University Maryland...
Pre-Thanksgiving Tilt Tuesday For Men's...
Loyola University Maryland men's basketball returns to Reitz Arena on Tuesday, Nov. 24, for a 7:3...
Women's Basketball Hosts William & Mary Monday ...
On Monday night, Loyola University Maryland women's basketball will host the College of William &...
St. Bonaventure Outlasts Men's Basketball
Tyler Hubbard made seven 3-pointers and finished with 21 points, leading five Greyhounds in...
Adams Named IWLCA Mid-Atlantic Region Coach Of ...
Loyola University Maryland head women's lacrosse coach Jen Adams was named the IWLCA Mid-Atlantic...
Ball And Weingroff Join Golfers As Class Of 2020
Loyola University Maryland men's golf coach Chris Baloga has announced the signing of Preston...
Bonnies Host Men's Basketball Saturday In...
Loyola University Maryland men's basketball travels to Olean, New York, for a Saturday, Nov. 21, ...
Saturday, Nov 28 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball at Siena 12:00 PM Live Stats Video Women's Basketball at Columbia 2:00 PM Live Stats Video
Tuesday, Dec 1 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball at Kansas 7:00 PM Live Stats
Wednesday, Dec 2 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Basketball at Old Dominion 11:00 AM Live Stats Video
Friday, Dec 4 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Swimming & Diving Iona 5:00 PM Swimming & Diving Marist 5:00 PM Swimming & Diving Saint Peters 5:00 PM Saturday, Dec 5 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball at Mount St. Marys 2:00 PM Live Stats Video
Women's Basketball at Mount St. Marys 4:30 PM Live Stats Video
Women's Track vs Metro Holiday Season Opener 12:30 PM Swimming & Diving Saint Peters TBA Swimming & Diving Marist TBA Swimming & Diving Iona TBA Tuesday, Dec 8 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball Towson 7:30 PM Live Stats Video Women's Basketball at Maryland 7:00 PM Sunday, Dec 20 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Basketball UMBC 12:00 PM Live Stats Video Tuesday, Dec 22 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball at Fairfield 7:00 PM Live Stats
Women's Basketball at St. Francis Brooklyn 1:00 PM Sunday, Dec 27 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball at Northwestern 7:00 PM
Saturday, Nov 21 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Basketball St. Bonaventure L, 94-82 Live Stats | Video
Women's Basketball Norfolk State W, 75-67 Live Stats | Video Monday, Nov 23 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Basketball William & Mary L, 62-61 Live Stats | VIdeo Tuesday, Nov 24 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Basketball Stony Brook L, 76-63 Live Stats | Video