H1N1 Virus (Swine flu) protocols
If a student athlete presents any signs or symptoms of the H1N1 virus the Loyola University Sports Medicine Department will work with both the team physician and Student Health Services to provide the appropriate care and treatment.
The appropriate steps to follow will be:
· Report to sports medicine staff with any signs/symptoms of H1N1
· Student athlete will be referred to the team physician
· The team physician will take the appropriate testing procedure and decide on the treatment and care for the student athlete
· Student Health Services will be notified of a positive test result and will follow their previously set protocols.
Students living off campus: You will be advised to stay at home (out of class, work etc.) until you are symptom-free for 24 hours. You should only leave home if you require medical care and, when you go out; you should wear a surgical mask or cover your cough and sneezes with a tissue or cloth. At home, you should wear a mask to protect others you live with.
Students living on campus: You may be advised to return to your permanent home while you remain out of classes if you can do so by private transportation. If you cannot go home, please stay in your room. Do not eat in the dining hall. You can request permission to have a friend or roommate bring you food from the dining hall.
· If a positive test is found the student athlete will not be allowed to travel with the team until medically cleared by a doctor.
The Signs and symptoms of the H1N1 (swine flu) virus
In most people, the symptoms of H1N1 (swine flu) are similar to the symptoms of regular flu. Flu is basically a respiratory illness and symptoms (in adults) will include:
• Fever (>100 F)
• Sore Throat
• Runny nose/nasal congestion
• Body/muscle aches
• Chills and fatigue
• Occasionally vomiting and diarrhea
**If you develop the following symptoms, please seek urgent medical care:
• Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
• Pain or pressure in the chest or abdomen
• Sudden dizziness
• Severe or persistent vomiting
• Flu-like symptoms improve but then return with fever or worse cough
Some self-care measures are:
• Take fever reduces such as acetaminophen or Aleve as directed
• Drink extra fluids juices Gatorade, etc.
• Diet as tolerated
• Extra rest
• Stay home and don't go to work or school until 24 hours after symptoms subside
How to keep from spreading the H1N1 (swine flu):
There are very simple, everyday things you can do to protect yourself and others from flu germs:
• Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for 20 seconds. Hand sanitizers can also be used.
• Cough and sneeze into a tissue or the inside of your elbow.
• Stay at least six feet away from people who are sick.
• Sick people should stay home from school, daycare and stay away from other people until their fever and other symptoms have resolved for 24 hours.
• In communities where H1N1 (swine flu) has occurred, stay away from bars, shopping, malls, movie theaters, or other places where there are large groups of people.
Please refer to either the Loyola Univ. Health Center or the CDC website for further information
Spencer Named Patriot League Offensive Player, ...
Loyola University Maryland freshman men's lacrosse player Pat Spencer became he first player in...
Women's Lacrosse Senior Shannon Aikens Featured...
Shannon Aikens, a graduate of Mercy High School, wears the same uniform number at Loyola...
Wolf Collects Second Corvias ECAC Defensive...
Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse senior goalkeeper Molly Wolf picked up her second...
Four Men's Lacrosse Players Earn Corvias...
Four Loyola University Maryland men's lacrosse players earned Corvias Patriot League Weekly...
Men's Tennis Wraps Up Regular-Season With Win...
Loyola University Maryland men's tennis team closed the regular-season on Sunday with a 6-1...
Wolf Earns Third Corvias Patriot League...
Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse senior goalkeeper Molly Wolf has been named the...
Loyola Officially Welcomes New Athletics Hall...
Loyola University Maryland officially welcomed nine individuals and two teams to its Athletics...
WLAX Captures Patriot League Regular Season...
Senior Molly Wolf recorded a career-best 15 saves to help the Loyola University Maryland capture ...
Friday, Apr 29 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Tennis vs Army West Point 6:00 PM Men's Lacrosse vs Bucknell 7:30 PM Live Stats Saturday, Apr 30 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track at Lehigh Games 11:00 AM Women's Lacrosse Army West Point 1:00 PM Live Stats Video Men's Golf vs Patriot League Championships All Day Men's Tennis vs Patriot League Championships TBA Crew vs Mid-Atlantic Rowing Conference Championships All Day Sunday, May 1 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Lacrosse vs Patriot League Championship Game 1:00 PM Men's Golf vs Patriot League Championships All Day Men's Tennis vs Patriot League Championships TBA Friday, May 6 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Lacrosse Patriot League Semifinals TBA Women's Track at Patriot League Championship All Day Saturday, May 7 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track at Patriot League Championship All Day Sunday, May 8 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Lacrosse vs Patriot League Championship Game TBA Friday, May 13 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Crew vs Patriot League Championship All Day Crew vs Dad Vail Championship Regatta All Day Women's Track at ECAC Championship All Day Saturday, May 14 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track at ECAC Championship All Day Crew vs Dad Vail Championship Regatta All Day Sunday, May 15 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track at ECAC Championship All Day
Friday, Apr 22 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Tennis Navy L, 4-0 | Women's Track Morgan State Legacy Meet 12th | Live Stats Men's Lacrosse Army West Point W, 12-6 Live Stats | Women's Track Larry Ellis Invitational 7:10 PM | Live Stats Saturday, Apr 23 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Soccer George Washington 12:00 PM | Women's Track Morgan State Legacy Meet 10:00 AM | Live Stats Women's Lacrosse Lafayette 3:00 PM Live Stats | PLN Sunday, Apr 24 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Tennis Lafayette W, 6-1 | Thursday, Apr 28 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Track Penn Relays 6:35 PM | Friday, Apr 29 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Tennis Army West Point 6:00 PM | Men's Lacrosse Bucknell 7:30 PM Live Stats |