H1N1 Virus (Swine flu) protocols
If a student athlete presents any signs or symptoms of the H1N1 virus the Loyola University Sports Medicine Department will work with both the team physician and Student Health Services to provide the appropriate care and treatment.
The appropriate steps to follow will be:
· Report to sports medicine staff with any signs/symptoms of H1N1
· Student athlete will be referred to the team physician
· The team physician will take the appropriate testing procedure and decide on the treatment and care for the student athlete
· Student Health Services will be notified of a positive test result and will follow their previously set protocols.
Students living off campus: You will be advised to stay at home (out of class, work etc.) until you are symptom-free for 24 hours. You should only leave home if you require medical care and, when you go out; you should wear a surgical mask or cover your cough and sneezes with a tissue or cloth. At home, you should wear a mask to protect others you live with.
Students living on campus: You may be advised to return to your permanent home while you remain out of classes if you can do so by private transportation. If you cannot go home, please stay in your room. Do not eat in the dining hall. You can request permission to have a friend or roommate bring you food from the dining hall.
· If a positive test is found the student athlete will not be allowed to travel with the team until medically cleared by a doctor.
The Signs and symptoms of the H1N1 (swine flu) virus
In most people, the symptoms of H1N1 (swine flu) are similar to the symptoms of regular flu. Flu is basically a respiratory illness and symptoms (in adults) will include:
• Fever (>100 F)
• Sore Throat
• Runny nose/nasal congestion
• Body/muscle aches
• Chills and fatigue
• Occasionally vomiting and diarrhea
**If you develop the following symptoms, please seek urgent medical care:
• Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
• Pain or pressure in the chest or abdomen
• Sudden dizziness
• Severe or persistent vomiting
• Flu-like symptoms improve but then return with fever or worse cough
Some self-care measures are:
• Take fever reduces such as acetaminophen or Aleve as directed
• Drink extra fluids juices Gatorade, etc.
• Diet as tolerated
• Extra rest
• Stay home and don't go to work or school until 24 hours after symptoms subside
How to keep from spreading the H1N1 (swine flu):
There are very simple, everyday things you can do to protect yourself and others from flu germs:
• Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for 20 seconds. Hand sanitizers can also be used.
• Cough and sneeze into a tissue or the inside of your elbow.
• Stay at least six feet away from people who are sick.
• Sick people should stay home from school, daycare and stay away from other people until their fever and other symptoms have resolved for 24 hours.
• In communities where H1N1 (swine flu) has occurred, stay away from bars, shopping, malls, movie theaters, or other places where there are large groups of people.
Please refer to either the Loyola Univ. Health Center or the CDC website for further information
Philly Bound: Men's Lacrosse Tops Towson, 10-8,...
Loyola University Maryland men's lacrosse used twin 3-0 runs in both halves to put distance...
Murray Named To Academic All-Patriot League Team
Loyola University Maryland women’s rower Natasha Murray was named to the Academic All-Patri...
Loyola Student-Athletes Recognized For Academic...
A number of Loyola University Maryland student-athletes were recognized this year for their...
Ohio Stadium Hosts Men's Lacrosse, Towson...
Loyola University Maryland will face its most-played opponent, Towson University, on Sunday, May ...
Lesher, Wolf Earn IWLCA All-America Honors
A pair of Loyola University Maryland seniors, Maddy Lesher and Molly Wolf, have been named to one...
KaVaughn Scott Signs Men’s Basketball NLI
KaVaughn Scott, a 6-foot-7 forward from Southern California, has signed a National Letter of...
Baker Attends Women's Coaches Leadership Forum
Loyola University Maryland assistant volleyball coach Kristen Baker attended the Women’s...
Yuhas Selected For NCAA Career In Sports Forum
Loyola University Maryland women's rowing rising senior Rachel Yuhas was one of more than 200...
Saturday, May 28 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Lacrosse vs North Carolina 12:00 PM Live Stats ESPN3 Video Monday, May 30 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Lacrosse vs NCAA Championship Game 1:00 PM ESPN3 Video Friday, June 3 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Crew vs IRA National Championships All Day Live Results Saturday, June 4 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Crew vs IRA National Championships All Day Live Results Sunday, June 5 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Crew vs IRA National Championships All Day Live Results