Diet and Nutrition Information
The Sports Medicine staff works with Sue A. James, MS, RD, LDN of Pinnacle Health and Wellness and the Strength and Conditioning staff to assist and monitor our student athletes with their dietary or nutritional needs throughout the pre-season, in-season, and off-season.
The following are some general tips to follow for student-athletes eating on the road:
- Order pancakes, French toast, muffins, toast, cereal, fruit, and juices.
- Request that toast, pancakes, etc. be served without butter or margarine. Use small amounts of syrup, jelly, and jam.
- Choose low-fat dairy products (skim or 1% milk, low-fat yogurt, low-fat cheese, etc.)
- Fresh fruit may be expensive or difficult to find. Carry fresh and/or dried fruits.
- Cold cereal can be a good breakfast or snack. Carry boxes in the car or on the bus. Keep low-fat milk in cooler or purchase at convenience stores.
- Look for lower fat meats on sandwiches such as turkey or chicken. Remember the most of the fat in sandwiches is in the spread. Prepare or order without the mayo, special sauce, or butter. User ketchup or mustard instead.
- Choose foods that are broiled, baked, steamed, or broiled rather than fried, and try to avoid breaded items.
- At salad bars, limit the dressing, olives, fried croutons, nuts, and seeds. Choose low-fat dressings, if low-fat dressings aren't available, pack your own.
- Baked potatoes should be ordered with butter and sauces "on the side". Add just enough to moisten the carbohydrate-rich potato.
- Soups and crackers can be good for low-fat meals; stay away from cream soups.
- Juices, low-fat milk, and low-fat milkshakes are a more nutritious choice than soda pop.
- Go to restaurants that offer high-carbohydrate foods such as pasta, baked potatoes, rice, bread, vegetables, salad bars, and fruits.
- Eat thick crust pizzas with low-fat toppings such as green peppers, mushrooms, Canadian bacon, and onions. Avoid fatty meats such as pepperoni or sausage, extra cheese, and olives.
- Eat breads without butter or margarine...use jelly instead. Ask for salads with dressing "on the side" so that you can add minimal amounts yourself. Ask for low-fat salad dressings.
- Whole grain breads, muffins, bagels, tortillas, fruit, fruit breads, low-fat crackers, pretzels, unbuttered popcorn, oatmeal raisin cookie s, fig bars, animal crackers, fruit juice, carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, breakfast cereal, canned liquid meals, dried and fresh fruit.
Don't forget about fluids: To prevent dehydration, you should keep well hydrated at all times, even on the road, by drinking frequently before, during, and after practice or workouts.
- Do not drown your thirst in calories! Drink plenty of water.
- In restaurants, including fast food ones, ask for water in addition to other beverages. Request a pitcher of water be left at your table.
- You can buy bottled water or mineral water at grocery stores and convenience stores.
- Carry squeeze bottles of water, sports drinks, and fruit juices with you, especially on long airplane flights.
- Limit alcoholic beverages. Alcohol is a diuretic and causes fluid loss.
Please refer to the Pinnacle Health and Wellness website to learn more helpful tips. For any questions feel free to contact any member of the Sports Medicine staff and they will help you in any way possible.
Pinnacle Health and Wellness
Loyola University Maryland Strength and Conditioning
Three Loyola Student-Athletes Named Sellinger...
Three Loyola University Maryland student-athletes were among those named to the Sellinger...
Thomas, VanThof, Lesher Pick Up IWLCA All-Ameri...
Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse senior Annie Thomas was named to the IWLCA All-Americ...
Frazier Named USILA Scholar All-American
The United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association (USILA) named recent Loyola University...
Golf Wraps Up Competition At NCAA Regional
Connor Flach shot a final-round 1-under par 71 on Saturday, and the Loyola University Maryland...
Syracuse Gets Past Women's Lacrosse, 10-7, In...
Kara Burke scored three goals and tied the Loyola University Maryland single-season record with...
Women's Eight Competes In Patriot League...
he Loyola University Maryland women's rowing team completed competition at the 2015 Patriot...
Burke Earns Capital One Academic All-District...
Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse senior Kara Burke added another honor to her name on ...
Women's Lacrosse Seniors Celebrate Commencement...
The Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team gathered Thursday afternoon to celebrate a...
There are no upcoming events.
There are no event results at this time.