Diet and Nutrition Information
The Sports Medicine staff works with Sue A. James, MS, RD, LDN of Pinnacle Health and Wellness and the Strength and Conditioning staff to assist and monitor our student athletes with their dietary or nutritional needs throughout the pre-season, in-season, and off-season.
The following are some general tips to follow for student-athletes eating on the road:
- Order pancakes, French toast, muffins, toast, cereal, fruit, and juices.
- Request that toast, pancakes, etc. be served without butter or margarine. Use small amounts of syrup, jelly, and jam.
- Choose low-fat dairy products (skim or 1% milk, low-fat yogurt, low-fat cheese, etc.)
- Fresh fruit may be expensive or difficult to find. Carry fresh and/or dried fruits.
- Cold cereal can be a good breakfast or snack. Carry boxes in the car or on the bus. Keep low-fat milk in cooler or purchase at convenience stores.
- Look for lower fat meats on sandwiches such as turkey or chicken. Remember the most of the fat in sandwiches is in the spread. Prepare or order without the mayo, special sauce, or butter. User ketchup or mustard instead.
- Choose foods that are broiled, baked, steamed, or broiled rather than fried, and try to avoid breaded items.
- At salad bars, limit the dressing, olives, fried croutons, nuts, and seeds. Choose low-fat dressings, if low-fat dressings aren't available, pack your own.
- Baked potatoes should be ordered with butter and sauces "on the side". Add just enough to moisten the carbohydrate-rich potato.
- Soups and crackers can be good for low-fat meals; stay away from cream soups.
- Juices, low-fat milk, and low-fat milkshakes are a more nutritious choice than soda pop.
- Go to restaurants that offer high-carbohydrate foods such as pasta, baked potatoes, rice, bread, vegetables, salad bars, and fruits.
- Eat thick crust pizzas with low-fat toppings such as green peppers, mushrooms, Canadian bacon, and onions. Avoid fatty meats such as pepperoni or sausage, extra cheese, and olives.
- Eat breads without butter or margarine...use jelly instead. Ask for salads with dressing "on the side" so that you can add minimal amounts yourself. Ask for low-fat salad dressings.
- Whole grain breads, muffins, bagels, tortillas, fruit, fruit breads, low-fat crackers, pretzels, unbuttered popcorn, oatmeal raisin cookie s, fig bars, animal crackers, fruit juice, carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, breakfast cereal, canned liquid meals, dried and fresh fruit.
Don't forget about fluids: To prevent dehydration, you should keep well hydrated at all times, even on the road, by drinking frequently before, during, and after practice or workouts.
- Do not drown your thirst in calories! Drink plenty of water.
- In restaurants, including fast food ones, ask for water in addition to other beverages. Request a pitcher of water be left at your table.
- You can buy bottled water or mineral water at grocery stores and convenience stores.
- Carry squeeze bottles of water, sports drinks, and fruit juices with you, especially on long airplane flights.
- Limit alcoholic beverages. Alcohol is a diuretic and causes fluid loss.
Please refer to the Pinnacle Health and Wellness website to learn more helpful tips. For any questions feel free to contact any member of the Sports Medicine staff and they will help you in any way possible.
Pinnacle Health and Wellness
Loyola University Maryland Strength and Conditioning
Men's Basketball Heads To Central New York To...
Loyola University Maryland hits the road to Hamilton, New York, for its next Patriot League...
Women's Basketball Welcomes Colgate To Reitz Arena
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team returns to Reitz Arena after two Patriot...
Jordan Latham Signs Professional Contract To...
Jordan Latham, who finished his career at Loyola University Maryland fifth all-time in blocked...
Calderoni, Walker And Two Relays Victorious In ...
Erin Calderoni won the 200 free, Rob Walker claimed the 200 IM victory and the Loyola University ...
Bucknell Tops Women's Basketball On The Road
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team fell to Bucknell University, 66-49,...
Garrahan Named Corvias Patriot League Women's...
Loyola University Maryland freshman Maggie Garrahan has been named the Corvias Patriot League...
Bucknell Leads Wire-To-Wire To Drop Men's Hoops...
Despite freshman Andre Walker tying a career-high 17 points for a third-straight game, the Loyola...
Betz-White Named Lids Team Sports Patriot...
Loyola University of Maryland women's basketball freshman Bri Betz-White earned Lids Team Sports ...
Wednesday, Jan 28 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball Holy Cross 7:30 PM Video Women's Basketball at Holy Cross 7:00 PM Friday, Jan 30 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Swimming & Diving Mount St Marys - Women 5:00 PM Women's Track vs Armory Invitational All Day Saturday, Jan 31 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball at Army 3:00 PM Video Women's Basketball Army 2:00 PM Video Swimming & Diving at Pre-Patriot League Invitational 10:00 AM Women's Track at John Covert Classic All Day Women's Track vs Armory Invitational All Day Wednesday, Feb 4 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball at American 7:30 PM Video Women's Basketball American 7:00 PM Video Saturday, Feb 7 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball Lehigh 7:00 PM Video Women's Basketball at Lehigh 2:00 PM Men's Lacrosse Virginia 1:00 PM Video Wednesday, Feb 11 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball Lafayette 7:30 PM Video Women's Basketball at Lafayette 7:00 PM Thursday, Feb 12 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track at Multi-Mix Invite All Day Saturday, Feb 14 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball at Boston University 1:00 PM Video Women's Basketball Boston University 2:00 PM Video Men's Lacrosse Penn State 12:00 PM Sunday, Feb 15 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Tennis at Mary Washington - Men 4:00 PM Wednesday, Feb 18 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Swimming & Diving at Patriot League Championships All Day Men's Lacrosse at Towson TBA Thursday, Feb 19 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Swimming & Diving at Patriot League Championships All Day Friday, Feb 20 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Swimming & Diving at Patriot League Championships All Day Women's Track at Patriot League Indoor Championships All Day Saturday, Feb 21 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Soccer at Villanova Play Day All Day Tennis Shepherd - Men 12:00 PM Women's Lacrosse at Princeton 1:00 PM Men's Lacrosse Holy Cross 1:00 PM Video Tennis Coppin State - Men 4:00 PM Swimming & Diving at Patriot League Championships All Day Women's Track at Patriot League Indoor Championships All Day Sunday, Feb 22 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Tennis Coppin State - Women 3:00 PM Tennis Wagner 6:00 PM Men's Golf vs Neville Kovacs Group Intercollegiate All Day Monday, Feb 23 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Golf vs Neville Kovacs Group Intercollegiate All Day Tuesday, Feb 24 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Golf vs Neville Kovacs Group Intercollegiate All Day
Sunday, Jan 18 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Basketball Boston University W, 91-86 (OT) Video Wednesday, Jan 21 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Basketball Bucknell L, 75-61 ASN Channel Finder
Women's Basketball Bucknell L, 66-49 Live StatsÂ|ÂVideo
Thursday, Jan 22 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Swimming & Diving La Salle M: L, 216-78; W: L, 213-87 Friday, Jan 23 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Tennis St. Francis Brooklyn Men: W, 4-3; Women: W, 7-0 Saturday, Jan 24 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Basketball Colgate L, 59-58 Video Women's Basketball Colgate L, 72-45 Video