Diet and Nutrition Information
The Sports Medicine staff works with Sue A. James, MS, RD, LDN of Pinnacle Health and Wellness and the Strength and Conditioning staff to assist and monitor our student athletes with their dietary or nutritional needs throughout the pre-season, in-season, and off-season.
The following are some general tips to follow for student-athletes eating on the road:
- Order pancakes, French toast, muffins, toast, cereal, fruit, and juices.
- Request that toast, pancakes, etc. be served without butter or margarine. Use small amounts of syrup, jelly, and jam.
- Choose low-fat dairy products (skim or 1% milk, low-fat yogurt, low-fat cheese, etc.)
- Fresh fruit may be expensive or difficult to find. Carry fresh and/or dried fruits.
- Cold cereal can be a good breakfast or snack. Carry boxes in the car or on the bus. Keep low-fat milk in cooler or purchase at convenience stores.
- Look for lower fat meats on sandwiches such as turkey or chicken. Remember the most of the fat in sandwiches is in the spread. Prepare or order without the mayo, special sauce, or butter. User ketchup or mustard instead.
- Choose foods that are broiled, baked, steamed, or broiled rather than fried, and try to avoid breaded items.
- At salad bars, limit the dressing, olives, fried croutons, nuts, and seeds. Choose low-fat dressings, if low-fat dressings aren't available, pack your own.
- Baked potatoes should be ordered with butter and sauces "on the side". Add just enough to moisten the carbohydrate-rich potato.
- Soups and crackers can be good for low-fat meals; stay away from cream soups.
- Juices, low-fat milk, and low-fat milkshakes are a more nutritious choice than soda pop.
- Go to restaurants that offer high-carbohydrate foods such as pasta, baked potatoes, rice, bread, vegetables, salad bars, and fruits.
- Eat thick crust pizzas with low-fat toppings such as green peppers, mushrooms, Canadian bacon, and onions. Avoid fatty meats such as pepperoni or sausage, extra cheese, and olives.
- Eat breads without butter or margarine...use jelly instead. Ask for salads with dressing "on the side" so that you can add minimal amounts yourself. Ask for low-fat salad dressings.
- Whole grain breads, muffins, bagels, tortillas, fruit, fruit breads, low-fat crackers, pretzels, unbuttered popcorn, oatmeal raisin cookie s, fig bars, animal crackers, fruit juice, carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, breakfast cereal, canned liquid meals, dried and fresh fruit.
Don't forget about fluids: To prevent dehydration, you should keep well hydrated at all times, even on the road, by drinking frequently before, during, and after practice or workouts.
- Do not drown your thirst in calories! Drink plenty of water.
- In restaurants, including fast food ones, ask for water in addition to other beverages. Request a pitcher of water be left at your table.
- You can buy bottled water or mineral water at grocery stores and convenience stores.
- Carry squeeze bottles of water, sports drinks, and fruit juices with you, especially on long airplane flights.
- Limit alcoholic beverages. Alcohol is a diuretic and causes fluid loss.
Please refer to the Pinnacle Health and Wellness website to learn more helpful tips. For any questions feel free to contact any member of the Sports Medicine staff and they will help you in any way possible.
Pinnacle Health and Wellness
Loyola University Maryland Strength and Conditioning
Volleyball Opens Season Saturday At Robert...
Loyola University Maryland volleyball will open its 2015 season this weekend at the Robert Morris...
Men's Soccer Opens Season At Home Friday...
The Loyola University Maryland men's soccer team will open its 73rd season of competition on...
Women's Soccer Closes Out August At Temple And ...
Loyola University Maryland women's soccer kicks off a five-game non-conference road swing,...
Men's Lacrosse Welcomes 15 Newcomers For 2015-2016
Loyola University Maryland Head Coach Charley Toomey, the Greyhounds staff and several returning ...
Lesher, Paton, Thomas, VanThof Make Patriot...
In two years since joining the Patriot League, the Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse...
Registration For 13th-Annual Diane Geppi Aikens...
Registration for the 13th-Annual Diane Geppi Aikens Memorial 5k run and 1-mile fun walk is now...
Women's Soccer Drops Afternoon Match To Monmouth
In a match that was rescheduled for Tuesday morning due to lightning delays the night before,...
Fletcher, Ward Named To Patriot League 25th...
Despite playing just one season in the Patriot League, former Loyola University Maryland men's...
Sunday, Aug 30 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Soccer at Cornell 1:00 PM Live Stats Women's Volleyball vs Canisius 2:00 PM Live Stats Monday, Aug 31 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer at La Salle 7:00 PM Tuesday, Sept 1 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Volleyball Howard 7:00 PM Live Stats Friday, Sept 4 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Soccer at Saint Francis Pa 4:00 PM Women's Volleyball vs Georgia State 12:30 PM Women's Tennis at Bucknell Invitational 2:00 PM Men's Tennis at Bucknell Invitational 2:00 PM Women's Volleyball at High Point 5:00 PM Video
Cross Country at Mount St Marys Duals All Day Saturday, Sept 5 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer Old Dominion 7:00 PM Live Stats Video Men's Tennis at Bucknell Invitational 9:00 AM Women's Tennis at Bucknell Invitational 9:00 AM Women's Volleyball vs South Carolina State 1:00 PM Sunday, Sept 6 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Tennis at Bucknell Invitational 9:00 AM Men's Tennis at Bucknell Invitational 9:00 AM Tuesday, Sept 8 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer at Duke 7:00 PM Women's Volleyball Saint Francis Pa 7:00 PM Live Stats Friday, Sept 11 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Soccer at UMBC 7:30 PM Men's Tennis at Villanova Invitational 12:00 PM Women's Tennis at Saint Josephs Invitational 1:00 PM Saturday, Sept 12 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer UMBC 7:00 PM Live Stats Video Men's Tennis at Villanova Invitational 9:00 AM Women's Tennis at Saint Josephs Invitational 9:00 AM Men's Golf vs Rod Myers Invitational All Day Cross Country at Salty Dog Invite All Day Sunday, Sept 13 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Soccer vs Towson 12:00 PM Women's Tennis at Saint Josephs Invitational 9:00 AM Men's Tennis at Villanova Invitational 9:00 AM Men's Golf vs Rod Myers Invitational All Day Saturday, Sept 19 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer at George Washington 1:00 PM Live Stats Women's Soccer Lafayette 7:00 PM Live Stats Video Women's Lacrosse Alumnae Game 11:00 AM Monday, Sept 21 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Golf vs Fighting Irish Golf Classic All Day Tuesday, Sept 22 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Golf vs Fighting Irish Golf Classic All Day Saturday, Sept 26 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer at Navy 8:00 PM Naval Academy Access & Parking
Women's Soccer at Navy 5:30 PM Live Stats Monday, Sept 28 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Golf vs Primland Collegiate Invitational All Day Tuesday, Sept 29 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Golf vs Primland Collegiate Invitational All Day
Monday, Aug 24 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Soccer Monmouth Postponed Live Stats | Video Tuesday, Aug 25 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Soccer Monmouth L, 2-0 | Video Friday, Aug 28 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Soccer Saint Francis (Pa.) T, 0-0 (2OT) Live Stats | Video Women's Soccer Temple L, 4-0 Live Stats|Video
Saturday, Aug 29 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Volleyball UMBC L, 3-1 | Live Stats Women's Volleyball Robert Morris L, 3-1 | Sunday, Aug 30 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Soccer Cornell 1:00 PM | Live Stats Women's Volleyball Canisius 2:00 PM | Live Stats