Diet and Nutrition Information
The Sports Medicine staff are available to assist and monitor our student athletes with their dietary or nutritional needs throughout the pre-season, in-season, and off-season.
The following are some general tips to follow for student-athletes eating on the road:
- Order pancakes, French toast, muffins, toast, cereal, fruit, and juices.
- Request that toast, pancakes, etc. be served without butter or margarine. Use small amounts of syrup, jelly, and jam.
- Choose low-fat dairy products (skim or 1% milk, low-fat yogurt, low-fat cheese, etc.)
- Fresh fruit may be expensive or difficult to find. Carry fresh and/or dried fruits.
- Cold cereal can be a good breakfast or snack. Carry boxes in the car or on the bus. Keep low-fat milk in cooler or purchase at convenience stores.
- Look for lower fat meats on sandwiches such as turkey or chicken. Remember the most of the fat in sandwiches is in the spread. Prepare or order without the mayo, special sauce, or butter. User ketchup or mustard instead.
- Choose foods that are broiled, baked, steamed, or broiled rather than fried, and try to avoid breaded items.
- At salad bars, limit the dressing, olives, fried croutons, nuts, and seeds. Choose low-fat dressings, if low-fat dressings aren't available, pack your own.
- Baked potatoes should be ordered with butter and sauces "on the side". Add just enough to moisten the carbohydrate-rich potato.
- Soups and crackers can be good for low-fat meals; stay away from cream soups.
- Juices, low-fat milk, and low-fat milkshakes are a more nutritious choice than soda pop.
- Go to restaurants that offer high-carbohydrate foods such as pasta, baked potatoes, rice, bread, vegetables, salad bars, and fruits.
- Eat thick crust pizzas with low-fat toppings such as green peppers, mushrooms, Canadian bacon, and onions. Avoid fatty meats such as pepperoni or sausage, extra cheese, and olives.
- Eat breads without butter or margarine...use jelly instead. Ask for salads with dressing "on the side" so that you can add minimal amounts yourself. Ask for low-fat salad dressings.
- Whole grain breads, muffins, bagels, tortillas, fruit, fruit breads, low-fat crackers, pretzels, unbuttered popcorn, oatmeal raisin cookie s, fig bars, animal crackers, fruit juice, carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, breakfast cereal, canned liquid meals, dried and fresh fruit.
Don't forget about fluids: To prevent dehydration, you should keep well hydrated at all times, even on the road, by drinking frequently before, during, and after practice or workouts.
- Do not drown your thirst in calories! Drink plenty of water.
- In restaurants, including fast food ones, ask for water in addition to other beverages. Request a pitcher of water be left at your table.
- You can buy bottled water or mineral water at grocery stores and convenience stores.
- Carry squeeze bottles of water, sports drinks, and fruit juices with you, especially on long airplane flights.
- Limit alcoholic beverages. Alcohol is a diuretic and causes fluid loss.
Please refer to the Pinnacle Health and Wellness website to learn more helpful tips. For any questions feel free to contact any member of the Sports Medicine staff and they will help you in any way possible.
Hart's Goal Leads Women's Soccer To First 3-0...
Freshman Maddie Hart netted a first-half goal that led the Loyola University Maryland women’...
Men's Soccer Begins Season Friday, Hosts LaSalle
The Loyola University Maryland men's soccer team begins its 74th season of competition Friday...
Cabrera Earns First Patriot League Offensive...
Loyola University Maryland sophomore Julianna Cabrera has been named the Patriot League Offensive...
Women's Soccer Hosts Pair Of Home Games This...
The Loyola University Maryland women’s soccer team hosts two home games this weekend at...
Lung, Wahlig Score To Lead Women's Soccer To 2-...
Seniors Emily Lung and Nicole Wahlig netted a pair of second-half goals to lead the Loyola...
Cabrera Scores Twice As Women's Soccer Earns 3-...
The Loyola University Maryland women's soccer team scored a pair of goals in the first 11 minutes...
Pair Of Men’s Lacrosse Alums Named To...
Two Loyola University Maryland men’s lacrosse alumni – Joe Fletcher ’14 and...
Wahlig Named To Preseason All-Patriot League...
Senior defender Nicole Wahlig has been named to the 2016 Preseason All-Patriot League Team, while...
Sunday, Aug 28 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Soccer St. Johns T, 1-1 (2OT) Live Stats Video Monday, Aug 29 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer at Saint Francis Pa. 1:00 PM Friday, Sept 2 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer at Old Dominion 7:00 PM Women's Soccer Cornell 6:00 PM Live Stats Video Women's Volleyball vs Delaware State 12:30 PM Women's Volleyball at UMBC 7:00 PM Saturday, Sept 3 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Volleyball vs Akron 1:00 PM Sunday, Sept 4 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Soccer at Delaware 7:00 PM Tuesday, Sept 6 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Volleyball George Washington 7:00 PM Live Stats Wednesday, Sept 7 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer George Washington 7:00 PM Live Stats Video Friday, Sept 9 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Soccer at Monmouth N.J. 7:00 PM Video
Women's Volleyball at UConn 10:00 AM Live Stats Men's Tennis at Bucknell Invitational 2:00 PM Women's Tennis at Bucknell Invitational 2:00 PM Women's Volleyball vs St. Francis Brooklyn 5:00 PM Live Stats Saturday, Sept 10 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer High Point 7:00 PM Live Stats Video Men's Tennis at Bucknell Invitational 9:00 AM Women's Tennis at Bucknell Invitational 9:00 AM Cross Country at Salty Dog Invitational 11:30 AM Men's Golf vs Rod Myers Invitational All Day Sunday, Sept 11 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Soccer at Seton Hall 1:00 PM Live Stats Men's Tennis at Bucknell Invitational 9:00 AM Women's Tennis at Bucknell Invitational 9:00 AM Men's Golf vs Rod Myers Invitational All Day Friday, Sept 16 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Tennis at St. Josephs Invitational 12:00 PM Women's Tennis at Navy Invitational 12:00 PM Saturday, Sept 17 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer at UConn 7:00 PM Live Stats Women's Soccer at Lafayette 2:00 PM Video
Men's Tennis at St. Josephs Invitational 9:00 AM Women's Tennis at Navy Invitational 9:00 AM Sunday, Sept 18 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Tennis at Navy Invitational 9:00 AM Men's Tennis at St. Josephs Invitational 9:00 AM Tuesday, Sept 20 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer at Pittsburgh 7:00 PM Live Stats Live Stats Friday, Sept 23 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Cross Country at Panorama Farms Invitational 10:00 AM Monday, Sept 26 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Golf vs Primland Intercollegiate All Day Tuesday, Sept 27 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Golf vs Primland Intercollegiate All Day Saturday, Oct 1 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Cross Country at Paul Short Run 11:45 AM Monday, Oct 10 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Golf vs Alister MacKenzie Invitational All Day Tuesday, Oct 11 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Golf vs Alister MacKenzie Invitational All Day Saturday, Oct 15 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Cross Country at Princeton Invitational TBA Crew vs Navy Day Regatta All Day Saturday, Oct 29 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Cross Country vs Patriot League Championships 11:00 AM Crew vs Head of the Schuylkill Regatta All Day Friday, Nov 11 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Cross Country vs NCAA Mid-Atlantic Regionals 12:00 PM Saturday, Nov 12 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Crew vs Frostbite Regatta All Day Sunday, Nov 13 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Crew vs Bill Braxton Regatta All Day
Sunday, Aug 21 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Soccer UMBC W, 2-0 Live Stats | Video Thursday, Aug 25 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Soccer Saint Francis (Pa.) W, 1-0 Live Stats | Video Friday, Aug 26 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Soccer La Salle L, 1-0 Live Stats | Video Sunday, Aug 28 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Soccer St. John's T, 1-1 (2OT) Live Stats | Video