Diet and Nutrition Information
The Sports Medicine staff are available to assist and monitor our student athletes with their dietary or nutritional needs throughout the pre-season, in-season, and off-season.
The following are some general tips to follow for student-athletes eating on the road:
- Order pancakes, French toast, muffins, toast, cereal, fruit, and juices.
- Request that toast, pancakes, etc. be served without butter or margarine. Use small amounts of syrup, jelly, and jam.
- Choose low-fat dairy products (skim or 1% milk, low-fat yogurt, low-fat cheese, etc.)
- Fresh fruit may be expensive or difficult to find. Carry fresh and/or dried fruits.
- Cold cereal can be a good breakfast or snack. Carry boxes in the car or on the bus. Keep low-fat milk in cooler or purchase at convenience stores.
- Look for lower fat meats on sandwiches such as turkey or chicken. Remember the most of the fat in sandwiches is in the spread. Prepare or order without the mayo, special sauce, or butter. User ketchup or mustard instead.
- Choose foods that are broiled, baked, steamed, or broiled rather than fried, and try to avoid breaded items.
- At salad bars, limit the dressing, olives, fried croutons, nuts, and seeds. Choose low-fat dressings, if low-fat dressings aren't available, pack your own.
- Baked potatoes should be ordered with butter and sauces "on the side". Add just enough to moisten the carbohydrate-rich potato.
- Soups and crackers can be good for low-fat meals; stay away from cream soups.
- Juices, low-fat milk, and low-fat milkshakes are a more nutritious choice than soda pop.
- Go to restaurants that offer high-carbohydrate foods such as pasta, baked potatoes, rice, bread, vegetables, salad bars, and fruits.
- Eat thick crust pizzas with low-fat toppings such as green peppers, mushrooms, Canadian bacon, and onions. Avoid fatty meats such as pepperoni or sausage, extra cheese, and olives.
- Eat breads without butter or margarine...use jelly instead. Ask for salads with dressing "on the side" so that you can add minimal amounts yourself. Ask for low-fat salad dressings.
- Whole grain breads, muffins, bagels, tortillas, fruit, fruit breads, low-fat crackers, pretzels, unbuttered popcorn, oatmeal raisin cookie s, fig bars, animal crackers, fruit juice, carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, breakfast cereal, canned liquid meals, dried and fresh fruit.
Don't forget about fluids: To prevent dehydration, you should keep well hydrated at all times, even on the road, by drinking frequently before, during, and after practice or workouts.
- Do not drown your thirst in calories! Drink plenty of water.
- In restaurants, including fast food ones, ask for water in addition to other beverages. Request a pitcher of water be left at your table.
- You can buy bottled water or mineral water at grocery stores and convenience stores.
- Carry squeeze bottles of water, sports drinks, and fruit juices with you, especially on long airplane flights.
- Limit alcoholic beverages. Alcohol is a diuretic and causes fluid loss.
Please refer to the Pinnacle Health and Wellness website to learn more helpful tips. For any questions feel free to contact any member of the Sports Medicine staff and they will help you in any way possible.
Men's Lacrosse Meets Army West Point Sunday For...
Loyola University Maryland men's lacrosse will play the U.S. Military Academy on Sunday, May 1,...
Track Puts Together Strong Showing Before...
The Loyola University Maryland women’s track team recorded seven top-10 finishes and eight ...
Golf Travels To Annapolis For Patriot League...
The Loyola University Maryland golf team will travel to Annapolis, Maryland, for the 2016 Patriot...
Seven Crews Medal At Mid-Atlantic Rowing...
In their final race opportunity before the Dad Vail and Patriot League Championships, the Loyola ...
Senior Day For Women's Lacrosse Set For...
The Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team will host Army West Point in its regular-sea...
Men's Tennis Falls To Army West Point In...
Second-seeded Army West Point won the doubles point and then took three-straight singles matches ...
#GreyhoundsGive Alumni Challenge Yields Success...
Loyola University Maryland's Athletics Alumni Giving Challenge, #GreyhoundsGive2016, was a major ...
Patriot League Championships Open Friday For...
Loyola University Maryland men's lacrosse will face Bucknell University in the Patriot League...
Sunday, May 1 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Lacrosse vs Army West Point W, 14-6 Live Stats Men's Golf vs Patriot League Championships All Day Live Results Men's Tennis vs Patriot League Championships TBA Friday, May 6 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Lacrosse Patriot League Semifinals TBA Women's Track at Patriot League Championship All Day Saturday, May 7 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track at Patriot League Championship All Day Sunday, May 8 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Lacrosse vs Patriot League Championship Game TBA Friday, May 13 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Crew vs Patriot League Championship All Day Crew vs Dad Vail Championship Regatta All Day Women's Track at ECAC Championship All Day Saturday, May 14 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track at ECAC Championship All Day Crew vs Dad Vail Championship Regatta All Day Sunday, May 15 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track at ECAC Championship All Day Thursday, May 26 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track at NCAA East Regional All Day
Sunday, Apr 24 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Tennis Lafayette W, 6-1 | Thursday, Apr 28 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Track Penn Relays NTS | Friday, Apr 29 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Tennis Army West Point 6:00 PM | Men's Lacrosse Bucknell W, 7-6 (2OT) Live Stats | Saturday, Apr 30 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Track Lehigh Games NTS | Live Stats Women's Lacrosse Army West Point W, 18-7 Live Stats | Video Men's Golf Patriot League Championships -- | Live Results Men's Tennis Patriot League Championships TBA | Crew Mid-Atlantic Rowing Conference Championships All Day | Sunday, May 1 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Lacrosse Army West Point W, 14-6 Live Stats | Men's Golf Patriot League Championships All Day | Live Results Men's Tennis Patriot League Championships TBA |