Diet and Nutrition Information
The Sports Medicine staff are available to assist and monitor our student athletes with their dietary or nutritional needs throughout the pre-season, in-season, and off-season.
The following are some general tips to follow for student-athletes eating on the road:
- Order pancakes, French toast, muffins, toast, cereal, fruit, and juices.
- Request that toast, pancakes, etc. be served without butter or margarine. Use small amounts of syrup, jelly, and jam.
- Choose low-fat dairy products (skim or 1% milk, low-fat yogurt, low-fat cheese, etc.)
- Fresh fruit may be expensive or difficult to find. Carry fresh and/or dried fruits.
- Cold cereal can be a good breakfast or snack. Carry boxes in the car or on the bus. Keep low-fat milk in cooler or purchase at convenience stores.
- Look for lower fat meats on sandwiches such as turkey or chicken. Remember the most of the fat in sandwiches is in the spread. Prepare or order without the mayo, special sauce, or butter. User ketchup or mustard instead.
- Choose foods that are broiled, baked, steamed, or broiled rather than fried, and try to avoid breaded items.
- At salad bars, limit the dressing, olives, fried croutons, nuts, and seeds. Choose low-fat dressings, if low-fat dressings aren't available, pack your own.
- Baked potatoes should be ordered with butter and sauces "on the side". Add just enough to moisten the carbohydrate-rich potato.
- Soups and crackers can be good for low-fat meals; stay away from cream soups.
- Juices, low-fat milk, and low-fat milkshakes are a more nutritious choice than soda pop.
- Go to restaurants that offer high-carbohydrate foods such as pasta, baked potatoes, rice, bread, vegetables, salad bars, and fruits.
- Eat thick crust pizzas with low-fat toppings such as green peppers, mushrooms, Canadian bacon, and onions. Avoid fatty meats such as pepperoni or sausage, extra cheese, and olives.
- Eat breads without butter or margarine...use jelly instead. Ask for salads with dressing "on the side" so that you can add minimal amounts yourself. Ask for low-fat salad dressings.
- Whole grain breads, muffins, bagels, tortillas, fruit, fruit breads, low-fat crackers, pretzels, unbuttered popcorn, oatmeal raisin cookie s, fig bars, animal crackers, fruit juice, carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, breakfast cereal, canned liquid meals, dried and fresh fruit.
Don't forget about fluids: To prevent dehydration, you should keep well hydrated at all times, even on the road, by drinking frequently before, during, and after practice or workouts.
- Do not drown your thirst in calories! Drink plenty of water.
- In restaurants, including fast food ones, ask for water in addition to other beverages. Request a pitcher of water be left at your table.
- You can buy bottled water or mineral water at grocery stores and convenience stores.
- Carry squeeze bottles of water, sports drinks, and fruit juices with you, especially on long airplane flights.
- Limit alcoholic beverages. Alcohol is a diuretic and causes fluid loss.
Please refer to the Pinnacle Health and Wellness website to learn more helpful tips. For any questions feel free to contact any member of the Sports Medicine staff and they will help you in any way possible.
Pre-Thanksgiving Tilt Tuesday For Men's...
Loyola University Maryland men's basketball returns to Reitz Arena on Tuesday, Nov. 24, for a 7:3...
Women's Basketball Hosts William & Mary Monday ...
On Monday night, Loyola University Maryland women's basketball will host the College of William &...
St. Bonaventure Outlasts Men's Basketball
Tyler Hubbard made seven 3-pointers and finished with 21 points, leading five Greyhounds in...
Adams Named IWLCA Mid-Atlantic Region Coach Of ...
Loyola University Maryland head women's lacrosse coach Jen Adams was named the IWLCA Mid-Atlantic...
Ball And Weingroff Join Golfers As Class Of 2020
Loyola University Maryland men's golf coach Chris Baloga has announced the signing of Preston...
Bonnies Host Men's Basketball Saturday In...
Loyola University Maryland men's basketball travels to Olean, New York, for a Saturday, Nov. 21, ...
Norfolk State Visits Reitz Arena To Face Women'...
On Saturday afternoon, Loyola women's basketball will take on Norfolk State University for the...
Jones Scores 26 In Men's Basketball's Wire-To-W...
Jarred Jones scored 26 points and grabbed 11 rebounds as Loyola University Maryland led UMBC wire...
Tuesday, Nov 24 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball Stony Brook L, 76-63 Live Stats Video Saturday, Nov 28 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball at Siena 12:00 PM Live Stats Women's Basketball at Columbia 2:00 PM Live Stats Video
Tuesday, Dec 1 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball at Kansas 7:00 PM Live Stats
Wednesday, Dec 2 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Basketball at Old Dominion 11:00 AM Live Stats Video
Friday, Dec 4 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Swimming & Diving Iona 5:00 PM Swimming & Diving Marist 5:00 PM Swimming & Diving Saint Peters 5:00 PM Saturday, Dec 5 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball at Mount St. Marys 2:00 PM Live Stats Video
Women's Basketball at Mount St. Marys 4:30 PM Live Stats Video
Women's Track vs Metro Holiday Season Opener 12:30 PM Swimming & Diving Saint Peters TBA Swimming & Diving Marist TBA Swimming & Diving Iona TBA Tuesday, Dec 8 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball Towson 7:30 PM Live Stats Video Women's Basketball at Maryland 7:00 PM Sunday, Dec 20 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Basketball UMBC 12:00 PM Live Stats Video Tuesday, Dec 22 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball at Fairfield 7:00 PM Live Stats
Women's Basketball at St. Francis Brooklyn 1:00 PM
Tuesday, Nov 17 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Track Blue and Gold Scrimmage 4:00 PM | Wednesday, Nov 18 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Basketball UMBC W, 76-57 Live Stats Video
Women's Basketball Fairfield L, 71-45 Live Stats | Video Saturday, Nov 21 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Basketball St. Bonaventure L, 94-82 Live Stats | Video
Women's Basketball Norfolk State W, 75-67 Live Stats | Video Monday, Nov 23 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Basketball William & Mary L, 62-61 Live Stats | VIdeo Tuesday, Nov 24 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Basketball Stony Brook L, 76-63 Live Stats | Video