MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) protocols
If a student athlete presents any signs or symptoms of the MRSA the Loyola University Sports Medicine Department will work with both Dr. Tucker and Student Health Services to provide the appropriate care and treatment.
The appropriate steps to follow will be:
· Report to sports medicine staff with any signs/symptoms of MRSA
· Student athlete will be referred to Student Health Service or to Dr. Tucker at Union Memorial Sports Medicine
· Health Services and/or Dr. Tucker will take the appropriate testing procedure and decide on the treatment and care for the student athlete
· Student Health Services will be notified of a positive test result and will follow their previously set protocols.
· The student-athlete must be cleared for return to play by a physician.
The Signs and symptoms of MRSA can be:
The area will be:
· Painful to touch
· Warm to touch
· Pus and other fluids will be draining from the site.
Symptoms of a more serious infection may include:
· Chest pain
· Rash surrounding the area
· Muscle ache
· Shortness of breathe
**Serious staph infections may lead to:
· Blood poisoning (sepsis)
· Organ failure and death may result from untreated
MRSA is caused by a strain of Staphylococcus aureus bacteria. This bacteria normally lives on the skin and sometimes in the nasal passages. MRSA refers to S. aureus strains that do not respond to the antibiotics normally used to cure staph infections. The bacteria can cause infection when they enter the body through a cut, sore, catheter, or breathing tube. The infection can be minor and local (for example, a pimple), or more serious (involving the heart, blood, or bone). Serious staph infections are more common in people with weak immune systems. This includes patients in hospitals and long-term care facilities and those receiving kidney dialysis.
MRSA infections are grouped into two types:
· Healthcare-associated -infections occur in people who are or have recently been in the hospital. Those who have been hospitalized or had surgery within the past year are at increased risk.
· Community-associate-infections occur in people that are otherwise healthy. The infections have occurred among athletes who share equipment or personal items (such as towels, razors, soaps, improperly treated whirlpools, and equipment (mats, pads, surfaces, etc).).
Tests & diagnosis
Depending on your symptoms, your doctor may recommend the following tests to detect and confirm the bacteria causing the infection:
· Blood culture
· Culture of the drainage (fluid) from the infection
· Skin culture from the infected site
· Sputum culture
· Urine culture
Draining the skin sore is often the only treatment needed for a local skin MRSA infection. This can be done at the doctor's office. More serious MRSA infections, especially HA-MRSA infections, are becoming increasingly difficult to treat and may require antibiotics.
It is important to finish all doses of antibiotics you have been given, unfinished doses can lead to further drug resistance in the bacteria, or can cause an infection that seemed to be cured to return.
Other treatments may be needed for more serious infections. The person will be admitted to a hospital:
· Fluids and medications given through a vein
· Kidney dialysis (if kidney failure occurs)
Careful attention to personal hygiene is key to avoiding MRSA infections.
· Notify anyone you might come in contact with if you are contagious
· Wash your hands frequently (if not able to wash hands recommended use antibacterial hand wash or instant hand sanitizer).
· Make sure all health care providers wash their hands before examining you.
· Do not share personal items such as towels, clothes, equipment, soap, deodorant, etc.
· Cover all wounds with a clean bandage, and avoid contact with other people's soiled bandages.
· Avoid common whirlpools or saunas if another participant has an open sore.
· Make sure that shared bathing facilities are clean.
Loyola health services
Center for Disease Control
Lanciano Named Patriot League Women's Tennis...
Loyola University Maryland's Amanda Lanciano was named the Corvias Patriot League Women's Tennis ...
Coan And Gialamas Named To Team USA For World...
Loyola University Maryland swimmers McKenzie Coan and Alyssa Gialamas have been named to the 25-m...
Oshrine Tied For Third After Two Rounds Of...
Loyola University Maryland sophomore Matt Oshrine shot an even 144 through the first two rounds...
Crews Compete For Second-Straight Day At...
In the second-straight day of competition, the Loyola University Maryland men's and women's crew ...
Lehigh Tops Men's Tennis In First-Ever Match At...
Loyola University Maryland men's tennis played the first-ever match at the soon-to-be dedicated...
Women's Lacrosse Picks Up Sixth-Straight Win At...
The No. 16 Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team extended its win streak to six-straig...
Three Crews Finish Among Top Three At Murphy...
In the first of two-straight race days this weekend, the Loyola University Maryland men's and...
Turnovers Plague Men's Lacrosse In Loss To Colgate
Loyola University Maryland committed 15 turnovers, and Colgate University scored six of its goals...
Monday, Mar 30 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Tennis Towson - Women L, 7-0 McClure Tennis Center Directions
Men's Golf vs Seahawk Intercollegiate 7th of 14 Tuesday, Mar 31 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Tennis George Mason - Women 3:30 PM McClure Tennis Center Directions
Wednesday, Apr 1 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Tennis Navy - Men 3:30 PM McClure Tennis Center Directions
Women's Lacrosse at Towson 7:00 PM Friday, Apr 3 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track at Colonial Relays All Day Saturday, Apr 4 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Lacrosse Colgate 12:00 PM Video Men's Lacrosse Navy 2:30 PM Video Women's Track at Colonial Relays All Day Sunday, Apr 5 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track at Colonial Relays All Day Monday, Apr 6 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Tennis Rider 2:00 PM McClure Tennis Center Directions
Wednesday, Apr 8 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Tennis at Mount St Marys 3:30 PM Women's Lacrosse at American 4:00 PM Men's Lacrosse at Maryland 8:00 PM Thursday, Apr 9 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Soccer Towson 7:00 PM Tennis Navy - Women 3:00 PM McClure Tennis Center Directions
Friday, Apr 10 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Golf vs Liberty Spring Invitational All Day Saturday, Apr 11 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Lacrosse at Boston University 1:00 PM Women's Lacrosse Boston University 1:00 PM Video Crew vs Knecht Cup All Day Women's Track Loyola/Hopkins Invitational All Day Men's Golf vs Liberty Spring Invitational All Day Sunday, Apr 12 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer Penn State 2:00 PM Friday, Apr 17 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer Howard 5:00 PM Men's Soccer Alumni Game 7:00 PM Men's Lacrosse at Bucknell 7:00 PM Saturday, Apr 18 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Soccer Headers for Hope Tournament All Day Women's Lacrosse at Navy 12:00 PM Crew vs Kerr Cup All Day Women's Track at Morgan State Invitational All Day Sunday, Apr 19 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Soccer Alumnae Day 11:00 AM Tuesday, Apr 21 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Lacrosse vs Patriot League Quarterfinals TBA Women's Lacrosse vs Patriot League Quarterfinals TBA Thursday, Apr 23 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track at The Penn Relays All Day Friday, Apr 24 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Lacrosse vs Patriot League Semifinals TBA Saturday, Apr 25 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Golf vs Patriot League Championships All Day Sunday, Apr 26 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Golf vs Patriot League Championships All Day
Monday, Mar 23 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Golf Middleburg Bank Intercollegiate -- Tuesday, Mar 24 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Golf Middleburg Bank Intercollegiate 2nd (t1) of 30 Wednesday, Mar 25 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Tennis Towson - Women Postponed McClure Tennis Center Directions
Women's Lacrosse Georgetown W, 12-8 Video Thursday, Mar 26 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Tennis La Salle Men: W, 5-2; Women: W, 6-1 Saturday, Mar 28 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Soccer La Salle 11:00 AM Women's Lacrosse Holy Cross W, 13-8 Live Stats | Video
Tennis Maryland Eastern Shore Cancelled Men's Lacrosse Colgate L, 11-4 Tennis Colgate Men: L, 5-2; Women, W, 7-0 Greenspring Racquet Club Directions
Crew Murphy Cup All Day Women's Track Maryland Invitational All Day Sunday, Mar 29 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Soccer Villanova 2:00 PM Tennis Lehigh - Men L, 7-0 McClure Tennis Center Directions
Crew Occoquan Sprints All Day Men's Golf Seahawk Intercollegiate -- Monday, Mar 30 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Tennis Towson - Women L, 7-0 McClure Tennis Center Directions
Men's Golf Seahawk Intercollegiate 7th of 14