MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) protocols
If a student athlete presents any signs or symptoms of the MRSA the Loyola University Sports Medicine Department will work with both the team physician and Student Health Services to provide the appropriate care and treatment.
The appropriate steps to follow will be:
· Report to sports medicine staff with any signs/symptoms of MRSA
· Student athlete will be referred to Student Health Service or to the team physician
· Health Services and/or the team physician will take the appropriate testing procedure and decide on the treatment and care for the student athlete
· Student Health Services will be notified of a positive test result and will follow their previously set protocols.
· The student-athlete must be cleared for return to play by a physician.
The Signs and symptoms of MRSA can be:
The area will be:
· Painful to touch
· Warm to touch
· Pus and other fluids will be draining from the site.
Symptoms of a more serious infection may include:
· Chest pain
· Rash surrounding the area
· Muscle ache
· Shortness of breathe
**Serious staph infections may lead to:
· Blood poisoning (sepsis)
· Organ failure and death may result from untreated
MRSA is caused by a strain of Staphylococcus aureus bacteria. This bacteria normally lives on the skin and sometimes in the nasal passages. MRSA refers to S. aureus strains that do not respond to the antibiotics normally used to cure staph infections. The bacteria can cause infection when they enter the body through a cut, sore, catheter, or breathing tube. The infection can be minor and local (for example, a pimple), or more serious (involving the heart, blood, or bone). Serious staph infections are more common in people with weak immune systems. This includes patients in hospitals and long-term care facilities and those receiving kidney dialysis.
MRSA infections are grouped into two types:
· Healthcare-associated -infections occur in people who are or have recently been in the hospital. Those who have been hospitalized or had surgery within the past year are at increased risk.
· Community-associate-infections occur in people that are otherwise healthy. The infections have occurred among athletes who share equipment or personal items (such as towels, razors, soaps, improperly treated whirlpools, and equipment (mats, pads, surfaces, etc).).
Tests & diagnosis
Depending on your symptoms, your doctor may recommend the following tests to detect and confirm the bacteria causing the infection:
· Blood culture
· Culture of the drainage (fluid) from the infection
· Skin culture from the infected site
· Sputum culture
· Urine culture
Draining the skin sore is often the only treatment needed for a local skin MRSA infection. This can be done at the doctor's office. More serious MRSA infections, especially HA-MRSA infections, are becoming increasingly difficult to treat and may require antibiotics.
It is important to finish all doses of antibiotics you have been given, unfinished doses can lead to further drug resistance in the bacteria, or can cause an infection that seemed to be cured to return.
Other treatments may be needed for more serious infections. The person will be admitted to a hospital:
· Fluids and medications given through a vein
· Kidney dialysis (if kidney failure occurs)
Careful attention to personal hygiene is key to avoiding MRSA infections.
· Notify anyone you might come in contact with if you are contagious
· Wash your hands frequently (if not able to wash hands recommended use antibacterial hand wash or instant hand sanitizer).
· Make sure all health care providers wash their hands before examining you.
· Do not share personal items such as towels, clothes, equipment, soap, deodorant, etc.
· Cover all wounds with a clean bandage, and avoid contact with other people's soiled bandages.
· Avoid common whirlpools or saunas if another participant has an open sore.
· Make sure that shared bathing facilities are clean.
Loyola health services
Center for Disease Control
Golf Travels To Annapolis For Patriot League...
The Loyola University Maryland golf team will travel to Annapolis, Maryland, for the 2016 Patriot...
Seven Crews Medal At Mid-Atlantic Rowing...
In their final race opportunity before the Dad Vail and Patriot League Championships, the Loyola ...
Senior Day For Women's Lacrosse Set For...
The Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team will host Army West Point in its regular-sea...
Men's Tennis Falls To Army West Point In...
Second-seeded Army West Point won the doubles point and then took three-straight singles matches ...
#GreyhoundsGive Alumni Challenge Yields Success...
Loyola University Maryland's Athletics Alumni Giving Challenge, #GreyhoundsGive2016, was a major ...
Patriot League Championships Open Friday For...
Loyola University Maryland men's lacrosse will face Bucknell University in the Patriot League...
Huggins, Sherlock Earn Academic All-Patriot...
Foster Huggins and Brian Sherlock were named to the Academic All-Patriot League Team on Wednesday...
4x400m Relay Team Represents Track At Penn Relays
The Loyola University Maryland women’s track team sent the 4x400m relay to Philadelphia to ...
Saturday, Apr 30 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track at Lehigh Games NTS Live Stats Women's Lacrosse Army West Point W, 18-7 Live Stats Video Men's Golf vs Patriot League Championships -- Live Results Men's Tennis vs Patriot League Championships TBA Crew vs Mid-Atlantic Rowing Conference Championships All Day Sunday, May 1 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Lacrosse vs Army West Point 1:00 PM Live Stats Men's Golf vs Patriot League Championships All Day Live Results Men's Tennis vs Patriot League Championships TBA Friday, May 6 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Lacrosse Patriot League Semifinals TBA Women's Track at Patriot League Championship All Day Saturday, May 7 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track at Patriot League Championship All Day Sunday, May 8 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Lacrosse vs Patriot League Championship Game TBA Friday, May 13 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Crew vs Patriot League Championship All Day Crew vs Dad Vail Championship Regatta All Day Women's Track at ECAC Championship All Day Saturday, May 14 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track at ECAC Championship All Day Crew vs Dad Vail Championship Regatta All Day Sunday, May 15 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track at ECAC Championship All Day
Saturday, Apr 23 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Soccer George Washington 12:00 PM | Women's Track Morgan State Legacy Meet 17th | Live Stats Women's Lacrosse Lafayette 3:00 PM Live Stats | PLN Sunday, Apr 24 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Tennis Lafayette W, 6-1 | Thursday, Apr 28 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Track Penn Relays NTS | Friday, Apr 29 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Tennis Army West Point 6:00 PM | Men's Lacrosse Bucknell W, 7-6 (2OT) Live Stats | Saturday, Apr 30 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Track Lehigh Games NTS | Live Stats Women's Lacrosse Army West Point W, 18-7 Live Stats | Video Men's Golf Patriot League Championships -- | Live Results Men's Tennis Patriot League Championships TBA | Crew Mid-Atlantic Rowing Conference Championships All Day |