MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) protocols
If a student athlete presents any signs or symptoms of the MRSA the Loyola University Sports Medicine Department will work with both Dr. Tucker and Student Health Services to provide the appropriate care and treatment.
The appropriate steps to follow will be:
· Report to sports medicine staff with any signs/symptoms of MRSA
· Student athlete will be referred to Student Health Service or to Dr. Tucker at Union Memorial Sports Medicine
· Health Services and/or Dr. Tucker will take the appropriate testing procedure and decide on the treatment and care for the student athlete
· Student Health Services will be notified of a positive test result and will follow their previously set protocols.
· The student-athlete must be cleared for return to play by a physician.
The Signs and symptoms of MRSA can be:
The area will be:
· Painful to touch
· Warm to touch
· Pus and other fluids will be draining from the site.
Symptoms of a more serious infection may include:
· Chest pain
· Rash surrounding the area
· Muscle ache
· Shortness of breathe
**Serious staph infections may lead to:
· Blood poisoning (sepsis)
· Organ failure and death may result from untreated
MRSA is caused by a strain of Staphylococcus aureus bacteria. This bacteria normally lives on the skin and sometimes in the nasal passages. MRSA refers to S. aureus strains that do not respond to the antibiotics normally used to cure staph infections. The bacteria can cause infection when they enter the body through a cut, sore, catheter, or breathing tube. The infection can be minor and local (for example, a pimple), or more serious (involving the heart, blood, or bone). Serious staph infections are more common in people with weak immune systems. This includes patients in hospitals and long-term care facilities and those receiving kidney dialysis.
MRSA infections are grouped into two types:
· Healthcare-associated -infections occur in people who are or have recently been in the hospital. Those who have been hospitalized or had surgery within the past year are at increased risk.
· Community-associate-infections occur in people that are otherwise healthy. The infections have occurred among athletes who share equipment or personal items (such as towels, razors, soaps, improperly treated whirlpools, and equipment (mats, pads, surfaces, etc).).
Tests & diagnosis
Depending on your symptoms, your doctor may recommend the following tests to detect and confirm the bacteria causing the infection:
· Blood culture
· Culture of the drainage (fluid) from the infection
· Skin culture from the infected site
· Sputum culture
· Urine culture
Draining the skin sore is often the only treatment needed for a local skin MRSA infection. This can be done at the doctor's office. More serious MRSA infections, especially HA-MRSA infections, are becoming increasingly difficult to treat and may require antibiotics.
It is important to finish all doses of antibiotics you have been given, unfinished doses can lead to further drug resistance in the bacteria, or can cause an infection that seemed to be cured to return.
Other treatments may be needed for more serious infections. The person will be admitted to a hospital:
· Fluids and medications given through a vein
· Kidney dialysis (if kidney failure occurs)
Careful attention to personal hygiene is key to avoiding MRSA infections.
· Notify anyone you might come in contact with if you are contagious
· Wash your hands frequently (if not able to wash hands recommended use antibacterial hand wash or instant hand sanitizer).
· Make sure all health care providers wash their hands before examining you.
· Do not share personal items such as towels, clothes, equipment, soap, deodorant, etc.
· Cover all wounds with a clean bandage, and avoid contact with other people's soiled bandages.
· Avoid common whirlpools or saunas if another participant has an open sore.
· Make sure that shared bathing facilities are clean.
Loyola health services
Center for Disease Control
Criqui Sets Personal Record On First Day Of The...
Senior Charlotte Criqui and the Loyola University Maryland women's track and field team competed ...
Seniors Lead H2Ounds To Win Over Mount St. Mary...
Seniors Erin Calderoni and Brianna Keelan won three events each Friday night to lead the Loyola...
Army Hosts Men's Basketball In Saturday...
Loyola University Maryland men's basketball will head to West Point, New York, for a Saturday...
Women's Basketball Hosts Army For Women In...
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team is hosting the United States Military...
All-Around Performance Pushes Men's Hoops Past ...
Andre Walker scored 14 points to lead three Loyola University Maryland players in double figures,...
Women's Basketball Records 500th Program...
Behind a 57-51 victory over College of the Holy Cross, the Loyola University Maryland women's...
Men's Lacrosse Named Patriot League Favorites...
Loyola University Maryland men's lacrosse was named the team to beat in the Preseason Patriot...
Thomas, Lesher, Women's Lax Picked As Preseason...
Senior Annie Thomas and junior Maddy Lesher picked up Preseason Patriot League Offensive and...
Saturday, Jan 31 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball at Army W, 77-71 Video Women's Basketball Army L, 62-53 Video Swimming & Diving at Pre-Patriot League Invitational -- Women's Track at John Covert Classic All Day Women's Track vs Armory Invitational All Day Wednesday, Feb 4 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball at American 7:30 PM Video Women's Basketball American 7:00 PM Video Saturday, Feb 7 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball Lehigh 7:00 PM Video Women's Basketball at Lehigh 2:00 PM Men's Lacrosse Virginia 1:00 PM Video Wednesday, Feb 11 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball Lafayette 7:30 PM Video Women's Basketball at Lafayette 7:00 PM Thursday, Feb 12 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track at Multi-Mix Invite All Day Saturday, Feb 14 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball at Boston University 1:00 PM Video Women's Basketball Boston University 2:00 PM Video Men's Lacrosse Penn State 12:00 PM Video Sunday, Feb 15 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Tennis at Mary Washington - Men 4:00 PM Men's Tennis at Mary Washington 4:00 PM Wednesday, Feb 18 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball at Bucknell 7:00 PM Video Women's Basketball Bucknell 7:00 PM Video Swimming & Diving at Patriot League Championships All Day Men's Lacrosse at Towson TBA Thursday, Feb 19 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Swimming & Diving at Patriot League Championships All Day Friday, Feb 20 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Swimming & Diving at Patriot League Championships All Day Women's Track at Patriot League Indoor Championships All Day Saturday, Feb 21 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Soccer at Villanova Play Day All Day Men's Tennis Shepherd 12:00 PM Women's Lacrosse at Princeton 1:00 PM Men's Lacrosse Holy Cross 1:00 PM Video Tennis Coppin State - Men 4:00 PM Men's Tennis Coppin State 4:00 PM Women's Track at Patriot League Indoor Championships All Day Swimming & Diving at Patriot League Championships All Day Sunday, Feb 22 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Tennis Coppin State - Women 3:00 PM Tennis Wagner 6:00 PM Men's Tennis Wagner 6:00 PM Women's Track at Patriot League Indoor Championships All Day Men's Golf vs Neville Kovacs Group Intercollegiate All Day Monday, Feb 23 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Golf vs Neville Kovacs Group Intercollegiate All Day Tuesday, Feb 24 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Golf vs Neville Kovacs Group Intercollegiate All Day Wednesday, Feb 25 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Lacrosse Johns Hopkins 6:00 PM Video Friday, Feb 27 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Tennis at North Carolina Central 2:00 PM Tennis at North Carolina Central 2:00 PM Swimming & Diving at ECAC Championships All Day Saturday, Feb 28 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Tennis at North Carolina A&T 9:00 AM Men's Tennis at North Carolina A&T 9:00 AM Men's Lacrosse Lehigh 2:00 PM Video Women's Lacrosse James Madison 5:00 PM Video
Saturday, Jan 24 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Basketball Colgate L, 59-58 Video Women's Basketball Colgate L, 72-45 Video Thursday, Jan 29 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Basketball Holy Cross W, 64-54 Video Women's Basketball Holy Cross W, 57-51 Live StatsÂ|ÂVideo
Friday, Jan 30 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Swimming & Diving Mount St. Mary's - Women W: W, 194-98 Women's Track Armory Invitational All Day Saturday, Jan 31 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Basketball Army W, 77-71 Video Women's Basketball Army L, 62-53 Video Swimming & Diving Pre-Patriot League Invitational -- Women's Track John Covert Classic All Day Women's Track Armory Invitational All Day