MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) protocols
If a student athlete presents any signs or symptoms of the MRSA the Loyola University Sports Medicine Department will work with both the team physician and Student Health Services to provide the appropriate care and treatment.
The appropriate steps to follow will be:
· Report to sports medicine staff with any signs/symptoms of MRSA
· Student athlete will be referred to Student Health Service or to the team physician
· Health Services and/or the team physician will take the appropriate testing procedure and decide on the treatment and care for the student athlete
· Student Health Services will be notified of a positive test result and will follow their previously set protocols.
· The student-athlete must be cleared for return to play by a physician.
The Signs and symptoms of MRSA can be:
The area will be:
· Painful to touch
· Warm to touch
· Pus and other fluids will be draining from the site.
Symptoms of a more serious infection may include:
· Chest pain
· Rash surrounding the area
· Muscle ache
· Shortness of breathe
**Serious staph infections may lead to:
· Blood poisoning (sepsis)
· Organ failure and death may result from untreated
MRSA is caused by a strain of Staphylococcus aureus bacteria. This bacteria normally lives on the skin and sometimes in the nasal passages. MRSA refers to S. aureus strains that do not respond to the antibiotics normally used to cure staph infections. The bacteria can cause infection when they enter the body through a cut, sore, catheter, or breathing tube. The infection can be minor and local (for example, a pimple), or more serious (involving the heart, blood, or bone). Serious staph infections are more common in people with weak immune systems. This includes patients in hospitals and long-term care facilities and those receiving kidney dialysis.
MRSA infections are grouped into two types:
· Healthcare-associated -infections occur in people who are or have recently been in the hospital. Those who have been hospitalized or had surgery within the past year are at increased risk.
· Community-associate-infections occur in people that are otherwise healthy. The infections have occurred among athletes who share equipment or personal items (such as towels, razors, soaps, improperly treated whirlpools, and equipment (mats, pads, surfaces, etc).).
Tests & diagnosis
Depending on your symptoms, your doctor may recommend the following tests to detect and confirm the bacteria causing the infection:
· Blood culture
· Culture of the drainage (fluid) from the infection
· Skin culture from the infected site
· Sputum culture
· Urine culture
Draining the skin sore is often the only treatment needed for a local skin MRSA infection. This can be done at the doctor's office. More serious MRSA infections, especially HA-MRSA infections, are becoming increasingly difficult to treat and may require antibiotics.
It is important to finish all doses of antibiotics you have been given, unfinished doses can lead to further drug resistance in the bacteria, or can cause an infection that seemed to be cured to return.
Other treatments may be needed for more serious infections. The person will be admitted to a hospital:
· Fluids and medications given through a vein
· Kidney dialysis (if kidney failure occurs)
Careful attention to personal hygiene is key to avoiding MRSA infections.
· Notify anyone you might come in contact with if you are contagious
· Wash your hands frequently (if not able to wash hands recommended use antibacterial hand wash or instant hand sanitizer).
· Make sure all health care providers wash their hands before examining you.
· Do not share personal items such as towels, clothes, equipment, soap, deodorant, etc.
· Cover all wounds with a clean bandage, and avoid contact with other people's soiled bandages.
· Avoid common whirlpools or saunas if another participant has an open sore.
· Make sure that shared bathing facilities are clean.
Loyola health services
Center for Disease Control
Late Free Throws Dictate Women's Basketball...
With just under two minutes to play in the fourth quarter, senior Colleen Marshall pulled the...
Boston University Up Next For Women's Basketball
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team hits the road to take on Boston University...
Navy Leads Wire-To-Wire In Win Over Men's...
The U.S. Naval Academy jumped out to an 11-2 lead in just over four minutes, and the Midshipmen...
Women's Basketball And Navy Meet In Midweek Tilt
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team will make the quick trip to Annapolis,...
Navy Next Up For Men's Basketball On Wednesday ...
Loyola University Maryland men's basketball returns to Reitz Arena for its next game, a 7:30 p.m....
Walker Earns Greyhounds' Second-Straight Player...
Following his career-high 31-point performance in Saturday's double-overtime win at the U.S....
Walker's Free Throws Give Men's Hoops 100-99...
Andre Walker scored a career-high 31 points with his final two free throws putting Loyola in...
Third-Quarter Shooting Pushes Army West Point...
Despite leading by as many as six point in the first half, Loyola University Maryland women's...
Thursday, Feb 11 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track at Multi-Mix Meet 4:00 PM Saturday, Feb 13 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball Boston University 1:00 PM Live Stats Video Women's Basketball at Boston University 2:00 PM Video
Men's Lacrosse at Virginia 1:00 PM Live Stats Video Sunday, Feb 14 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Lacrosse at Syracuse 12:00 PM Men's Tennis at Mary Washington 2:00 PM Wednesday, Feb 17 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball at Bucknell 7:00 PM Live Stats Video
Women's Basketball Bucknell 7:00 PM Live Stats Video Swimming & Diving vs Patriot League Championships All Day Thursday, Feb 18 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Swimming & Diving vs Patriot League Championships All Day Friday, Feb 19 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track at Patriot League Championship All Day Swimming & Diving vs Patriot League Championships All Day Saturday, Feb 20 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Lacrosse Johns Hopkins 1:00 PM Live Stats Swimming & Diving vs Patriot League Championships All Day Women's Track at Patriot League Championship All Day Sunday, Feb 21 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball at Colgate 12:00 PM Video Women's Basketball Colgate 2:00 PM Live Stats Video Women's Track at Patriot League Championship All Day Wednesday, Feb 24 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball Holy Cross 7:30 PM Live Stats Video Women's Basketball at Holy Cross 7:00 PM Live Stats | Video
Women's Lacrosse at Johns Hopkins 5:00 PM Friday, Feb 26 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Swimming & Diving vs ECAC Championships All Day Saturday, Feb 27 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball at American 12:00 PM Live Stats Video
Women's Basketball at American 4:00 PM Live Stats | Video
Men's Lacrosse Lafayette 1:00 PM Live Stats Video Swimming & Diving vs ECAC Championships All Day Sunday, Feb 28 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Lacrosse Towson 1:00 PM Live Stats Video Women's Tennis vs Chestnut Hill TBA Men's Golf vs Loyola Intercollegiate All Day Men's Tennis vs Chestnut Hill TBA Monday, Feb 29 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Tennis vs Wartburg TBA Men's Golf vs Loyola Intercollegiate All Day Women's Tennis vs Wartburg TBA Men's Tennis vs Rose-Hulman TBA Tuesday, Mar 1 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball vs Patriot League First Round TBA Men's Golf vs Loyola Intercollegiate All Day Wednesday, Mar 2 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Basketball Holy Cross 7:00 PM Live Stats Video Men's Lacrosse Towson 4:00 PM Live Stats Men's Tennis vs Augustana Ill. TBA Women's Tennis vs Augustana Ill. TBA Thursday, Mar 3 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track vs ECAC Championship All Day Women's Tennis vs John Carroll TBA Men's Tennis vs John Carroll TBA Friday, Mar 4 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track vs ECAC Championship All Day Women's Tennis vs Davenport TBA Saturday, Mar 5 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Lacrosse at Penn State 1:00 PM Live Stats Men's Lacrosse at Holy Cross 1:00 PM Wednesday, Mar 9 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Lacrosse Virginia 7:00 PM Live Stats Video Saturday, Mar 12 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Lacrosse Duke 11:00 AM Live Stats Women's Tennis at Lafayette 2:30 PM Crew vs Lehigh All Day
Friday, Feb 5 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Track Armory Invitational 12:00 PM | Saturday, Feb 6 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Basketball Army West Point W, 100-99 (2OT) Live Stats Video
Women's Basketball Army West Point L, 52-44 Live Stats | Video Women's Track Armory Invitational 9:00 AM | Women's Lacrosse Florida L, 15-6 Live Stats | Video
Wednesday, Feb 10 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Basketball Navy L, 71-51 Live Stats | Video Women's Basketball Navy L, 45-38 Video
Live Stats |
Thursday, Feb 11 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Track Multi-Mix Meet 4:00 PM |