MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) protocols
If a student athlete presents any signs or symptoms of the MRSA the Loyola University Sports Medicine Department will work with both Dr. Tucker and Student Health Services to provide the appropriate care and treatment.
The appropriate steps to follow will be:
· Report to sports medicine staff with any signs/symptoms of MRSA
· Student athlete will be referred to Student Health Service or to Dr. Tucker at Union Memorial Sports Medicine
· Health Services and/or Dr. Tucker will take the appropriate testing procedure and decide on the treatment and care for the student athlete
· Student Health Services will be notified of a positive test result and will follow their previously set protocols.
· The student-athlete must be cleared for return to play by a physician.
The Signs and symptoms of MRSA can be:
The area will be:
· Painful to touch
· Warm to touch
· Pus and other fluids will be draining from the site.
Symptoms of a more serious infection may include:
· Chest pain
· Rash surrounding the area
· Muscle ache
· Shortness of breathe
**Serious staph infections may lead to:
· Blood poisoning (sepsis)
· Organ failure and death may result from untreated
MRSA is caused by a strain of Staphylococcus aureus bacteria. This bacteria normally lives on the skin and sometimes in the nasal passages. MRSA refers to S. aureus strains that do not respond to the antibiotics normally used to cure staph infections. The bacteria can cause infection when they enter the body through a cut, sore, catheter, or breathing tube. The infection can be minor and local (for example, a pimple), or more serious (involving the heart, blood, or bone). Serious staph infections are more common in people with weak immune systems. This includes patients in hospitals and long-term care facilities and those receiving kidney dialysis.
MRSA infections are grouped into two types:
· Healthcare-associated -infections occur in people who are or have recently been in the hospital. Those who have been hospitalized or had surgery within the past year are at increased risk.
· Community-associate-infections occur in people that are otherwise healthy. The infections have occurred among athletes who share equipment or personal items (such as towels, razors, soaps, improperly treated whirlpools, and equipment (mats, pads, surfaces, etc).).
Tests & diagnosis
Depending on your symptoms, your doctor may recommend the following tests to detect and confirm the bacteria causing the infection:
· Blood culture
· Culture of the drainage (fluid) from the infection
· Skin culture from the infected site
· Sputum culture
· Urine culture
Draining the skin sore is often the only treatment needed for a local skin MRSA infection. This can be done at the doctor's office. More serious MRSA infections, especially HA-MRSA infections, are becoming increasingly difficult to treat and may require antibiotics.
It is important to finish all doses of antibiotics you have been given, unfinished doses can lead to further drug resistance in the bacteria, or can cause an infection that seemed to be cured to return.
Other treatments may be needed for more serious infections. The person will be admitted to a hospital:
· Fluids and medications given through a vein
· Kidney dialysis (if kidney failure occurs)
Careful attention to personal hygiene is key to avoiding MRSA infections.
· Notify anyone you might come in contact with if you are contagious
· Wash your hands frequently (if not able to wash hands recommended use antibacterial hand wash or instant hand sanitizer).
· Make sure all health care providers wash their hands before examining you.
· Do not share personal items such as towels, clothes, equipment, soap, deodorant, etc.
· Cover all wounds with a clean bandage, and avoid contact with other people's soiled bandages.
· Avoid common whirlpools or saunas if another participant has an open sore.
· Make sure that shared bathing facilities are clean.
Loyola health services
Center for Disease Control
Women's Lacrosse Downs Navy To Win Patriot...
The No. 16 Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team snapped Navy's 10-game win streak at ...
Strong Showing For Crews At Kerr Cup
Two second-place finishes guided the Loyola University Maryland rowing team to a strong showing...
Personal Bests And Team Points Highlight Track ...
A total of 12 Loyola University Maryland women's track and field student-athletes set personal...
Bucknell Goes On Late Run, Tops Men's Lacrosse ...
Bucknell University's Sean Doyle scored 45 seconds into overtime, and the Bison defeated Loyola...
Navy Defeats Men's Tennis In Patriot League...
The second-seeded U.S. Naval Academy swept Loyola University Maryland, 4-0, Friday night in the...
Provo Joins Men's Basketball To Complete Class ...
Nova Scotia native Nevell Provo has signed a National Letter of Intent and will join the Loyola...
Navy, Women's Lax Play For Regular-Season Title...
Navy will host No. 16 Loyola Saturday in a game that will determine the Patriot League regular-se...
Head Cross Country Coach Rick Woods Retires...
Rick Woods, Loyola University Maryland's men's and women's cross country head coach, will retire ...
Tuesday, Apr 21 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Lacrosse Army West Point 4:00 PM Video Thursday, Apr 23 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Tennis vs Patriot League Womens Tennis Championships TBA Women's Track at The Penn Relays All Day Friday, Apr 24 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track at The Penn Relays All Day Tennis vs Patriot League Womens Tennis Championships TBA Women's Lacrosse Patriot League Semifinals TBA Video Men's Lacrosse vs Patriot League Semifinals TBA Saturday, Apr 25 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track at The Lehigh Games All Day Tennis vs Patriot League Womens Tennis Championships TBA Men's Golf vs Patriot League Championships All Day Women's Track at The Penn Relays All Day Sunday, Apr 26 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Lacrosse Patriot League Championship Game 1:00 PM Video Men's Golf vs Patriot League Championships All Day Men's Lacrosse vs Patriot League Championship Game TBA Women's Track at The Lehigh Games All Day Tennis vs Patriot League Womens Tennis Championships TBA Friday, May 1 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track vs Patriot Leauge Outdoor Championships All Day Saturday, May 2 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Lacrosse Syracuse 1:00 PM Video Friday, May 8 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Lacrosse vs NCAA First Round TBA Crew vs Dad Vail Championships All Day Saturday, May 9 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Lacrosse vs NCAA First Round TBA Crew vs Dad Vail Championships All Day Sunday, May 10 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Lacrosse vs NCAA First Round TBA Women's Lacrosse vs NCAA Second Round TBA Friday, May 15 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Crew vs Patriot League Championships All Day Saturday, May 16 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Lacrosse vs NCAA Quarterfinals TBA Men's Lacrosse vs NCAA Quarterfinals TBA
Tuesday, Apr 14 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Tennis Mount St. Mary's Cancelled Wednesday, Apr 15 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Tennis Lehigh - Women L, 6-1 Friday, Apr 17 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Soccer Howard 5:00 PM Men's Soccer Alumni Game 7:00 PM Tennis Navy - Men L, 4-0 Men's Lacrosse Bucknell L, 10-9 (OT) Live StatsÂ|ÂVideo
Saturday, Apr 18 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Soccer Headers for Hope Tournament All Day Women's Lacrosse Navy W, 14-4 Crew Kerr Cup All Day Women's Track Morgan State Invitational All Day Sunday, Apr 19 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Soccer Alumnae Day 11:00 AM