MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) protocols
If a student athlete presents any signs or symptoms of the MRSA the Loyola University Sports Medicine Department will work with both Dr. Tucker and Student Health Services to provide the appropriate care and treatment.
The appropriate steps to follow will be:
· Report to sports medicine staff with any signs/symptoms of MRSA
· Student athlete will be referred to Student Health Service or to Dr. Tucker at Union Memorial Sports Medicine
· Health Services and/or Dr. Tucker will take the appropriate testing procedure and decide on the treatment and care for the student athlete
· Student Health Services will be notified of a positive test result and will follow their previously set protocols.
· The student-athlete must be cleared for return to play by a physician.
The Signs and symptoms of MRSA can be:
The area will be:
· Painful to touch
· Warm to touch
· Pus and other fluids will be draining from the site.
Symptoms of a more serious infection may include:
· Chest pain
· Rash surrounding the area
· Muscle ache
· Shortness of breathe
**Serious staph infections may lead to:
· Blood poisoning (sepsis)
· Organ failure and death may result from untreated
MRSA is caused by a strain of Staphylococcus aureus bacteria. This bacteria normally lives on the skin and sometimes in the nasal passages. MRSA refers to S. aureus strains that do not respond to the antibiotics normally used to cure staph infections. The bacteria can cause infection when they enter the body through a cut, sore, catheter, or breathing tube. The infection can be minor and local (for example, a pimple), or more serious (involving the heart, blood, or bone). Serious staph infections are more common in people with weak immune systems. This includes patients in hospitals and long-term care facilities and those receiving kidney dialysis.
MRSA infections are grouped into two types:
· Healthcare-associated -infections occur in people who are or have recently been in the hospital. Those who have been hospitalized or had surgery within the past year are at increased risk.
· Community-associate-infections occur in people that are otherwise healthy. The infections have occurred among athletes who share equipment or personal items (such as towels, razors, soaps, improperly treated whirlpools, and equipment (mats, pads, surfaces, etc).).
Tests & diagnosis
Depending on your symptoms, your doctor may recommend the following tests to detect and confirm the bacteria causing the infection:
· Blood culture
· Culture of the drainage (fluid) from the infection
· Skin culture from the infected site
· Sputum culture
· Urine culture
Draining the skin sore is often the only treatment needed for a local skin MRSA infection. This can be done at the doctor's office. More serious MRSA infections, especially HA-MRSA infections, are becoming increasingly difficult to treat and may require antibiotics.
It is important to finish all doses of antibiotics you have been given, unfinished doses can lead to further drug resistance in the bacteria, or can cause an infection that seemed to be cured to return.
Other treatments may be needed for more serious infections. The person will be admitted to a hospital:
· Fluids and medications given through a vein
· Kidney dialysis (if kidney failure occurs)
Careful attention to personal hygiene is key to avoiding MRSA infections.
· Notify anyone you might come in contact with if you are contagious
· Wash your hands frequently (if not able to wash hands recommended use antibacterial hand wash or instant hand sanitizer).
· Make sure all health care providers wash their hands before examining you.
· Do not share personal items such as towels, clothes, equipment, soap, deodorant, etc.
· Cover all wounds with a clean bandage, and avoid contact with other people's soiled bandages.
· Avoid common whirlpools or saunas if another participant has an open sore.
· Make sure that shared bathing facilities are clean.
Loyola health services
Center for Disease Control
Set-Piece Goal Give Explorers 1-0 Win Over Men'...
La Salle's Joe Farrell scored the match's lone goal, connecting with a Tony Danielle corner kick ...
Home Opener Tuesday Night For Volleyball Versus...
Loyola University Maryland volleyball will open its 2015 home schedule on Tuesday, Sept. 1, at 7 ...
Canisius Tops Volleyball In Final Match Of...
Canisius University held Loyola University Maryland to .019 hitting percentage on Sunday...
La Salle Hosts Men's Soccer In Monday Night...
The Loyola men's soccer team travels to La Salle Monday night for a 7 p.m., contest against the...
Women's Soccer Drops First-Ever Match To Cornell
The Loyola University Maryland women's soccer team gave up a goal late in the first half on...
Men's Soccer, Saint Francis (Pa.) Play To...
In front of 1,107 enthusiastic fans, the Loyola University Maryland men's soccer team opened the ...
Oshrine Named To Patriot League 25th...
Matt Oshrine was named to the Patriot League Men's Golf 25th Anniversary Team this week, an honor...
Volleyball Drops Two Four-Set Matches On...
Stacey Kazalas had 25 kills in two four-set matches, but Loyola University Maryland lost to both ...
Friday, Sept 4 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Soccer at Saint Francis Pa 4:00 PM Women's Volleyball vs Georgia State 12:30 PM Live Stats Women's Tennis at Bucknell Invitational 2:00 PM Men's Tennis at Bucknell Invitational 2:00 PM Women's Volleyball at High Point 5:00 PM Live Stats | Video
Cross Country at Mount St Marys Duals All Day Saturday, Sept 5 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer Old Dominion 7:00 PM Live Stats Video Men's Tennis at Bucknell Invitational 9:00 AM Women's Tennis at Bucknell Invitational 9:00 AM Women's Volleyball vs South Carolina State 1:00 PM Live Stats Sunday, Sept 6 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Tennis at Bucknell Invitational 9:00 AM Men's Tennis at Bucknell Invitational 9:00 AM Tuesday, Sept 8 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer at Duke 7:00 PM Women's Volleyball Saint Francis Pa 7:00 PM Live Stats Friday, Sept 11 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Soccer at UMBC 7:30 PM Men's Tennis at Villanova Invitational 12:00 PM Women's Tennis at Saint Josephs Invitational 1:00 PM Women's Volleyball vs Manhattan 4:00 PM Live Stats Saturday, Sept 12 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer UMBC 7:00 PM Live Stats Video Men's Tennis at Villanova Invitational 9:00 AM Women's Tennis at Saint Josephs Invitational 9:00 AM Women's Volleyball at Maryland Eastern Shore 12:00 PM Live Stats Men's Golf vs Rod Myers Invitational All Day Cross Country at Salty Dog Invite All Day Sunday, Sept 13 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Soccer vs Towson 12:00 PM Women's Tennis at Saint Josephs Invitational 9:00 AM Men's Tennis at Villanova Invitational 9:00 AM Men's Golf vs Rod Myers Invitational All Day Saturday, Sept 19 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer at George Washington 1:00 PM Live Stats Women's Soccer Lafayette 7:00 PM Live Stats Video Women's Lacrosse Alumnae Game 11:00 AM Monday, Sept 21 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Golf vs Fighting Irish Golf Classic All Day Tuesday, Sept 22 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Golf vs Fighting Irish Golf Classic All Day Saturday, Sept 26 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer at Navy 8:00 PM Naval Academy Access & Parking
Women's Soccer at Navy 5:30 PM Live Stats Monday, Sept 28 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Golf vs Primland Collegiate Invitational All Day Tuesday, Sept 29 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer at Rutgers 7:00 PM Live Stats Men's Golf vs Primland Collegiate Invitational All Day Wednesday, Sept 30 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Soccer American 7:00 PM Live Stats Video Friday, Oct 2 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Cross Country at Paul Short Invitational All Day Saturday, Oct 3 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Swimming & Diving Green vs Grey 10:00 AM
Friday, Aug 28 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Soccer Saint Francis (Pa.) T, 0-0 (2OT) Live Stats | Video Women's Soccer Temple L, 4-0 Live Stats|Video
Saturday, Aug 29 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Volleyball UMBC L, 3-1 | Live Stats Women's Volleyball Robert Morris L, 3-1 | Sunday, Aug 30 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Soccer Cornell L, 2-0 | Live Stats Women's Volleyball Canisius L, 3-0 | Live Stats Monday, Aug 31 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Soccer La Salle L, 1-0 Live Stats | Video
Tuesday, Sept 1 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Volleyball Howard W, 3-0 |