MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) protocols
If a student athlete presents any signs or symptoms of the MRSA the Loyola University Sports Medicine Department will work with both Dr. Tucker and Student Health Services to provide the appropriate care and treatment.
The appropriate steps to follow will be:
· Report to sports medicine staff with any signs/symptoms of MRSA
· Student athlete will be referred to Student Health Service or to Dr. Tucker at Union Memorial Sports Medicine
· Health Services and/or Dr. Tucker will take the appropriate testing procedure and decide on the treatment and care for the student athlete
· Student Health Services will be notified of a positive test result and will follow their previously set protocols.
· The student-athlete must be cleared for return to play by a physician.
The Signs and symptoms of MRSA can be:
The area will be:
· Painful to touch
· Warm to touch
· Pus and other fluids will be draining from the site.
Symptoms of a more serious infection may include:
· Chest pain
· Rash surrounding the area
· Muscle ache
· Shortness of breathe
**Serious staph infections may lead to:
· Blood poisoning (sepsis)
· Organ failure and death may result from untreated
MRSA is caused by a strain of Staphylococcus aureus bacteria. This bacteria normally lives on the skin and sometimes in the nasal passages. MRSA refers to S. aureus strains that do not respond to the antibiotics normally used to cure staph infections. The bacteria can cause infection when they enter the body through a cut, sore, catheter, or breathing tube. The infection can be minor and local (for example, a pimple), or more serious (involving the heart, blood, or bone). Serious staph infections are more common in people with weak immune systems. This includes patients in hospitals and long-term care facilities and those receiving kidney dialysis.
MRSA infections are grouped into two types:
· Healthcare-associated -infections occur in people who are or have recently been in the hospital. Those who have been hospitalized or had surgery within the past year are at increased risk.
· Community-associate-infections occur in people that are otherwise healthy. The infections have occurred among athletes who share equipment or personal items (such as towels, razors, soaps, improperly treated whirlpools, and equipment (mats, pads, surfaces, etc).).
Tests & diagnosis
Depending on your symptoms, your doctor may recommend the following tests to detect and confirm the bacteria causing the infection:
· Blood culture
· Culture of the drainage (fluid) from the infection
· Skin culture from the infected site
· Sputum culture
· Urine culture
Draining the skin sore is often the only treatment needed for a local skin MRSA infection. This can be done at the doctor's office. More serious MRSA infections, especially HA-MRSA infections, are becoming increasingly difficult to treat and may require antibiotics.
It is important to finish all doses of antibiotics you have been given, unfinished doses can lead to further drug resistance in the bacteria, or can cause an infection that seemed to be cured to return.
Other treatments may be needed for more serious infections. The person will be admitted to a hospital:
· Fluids and medications given through a vein
· Kidney dialysis (if kidney failure occurs)
Careful attention to personal hygiene is key to avoiding MRSA infections.
· Notify anyone you might come in contact with if you are contagious
· Wash your hands frequently (if not able to wash hands recommended use antibacterial hand wash or instant hand sanitizer).
· Make sure all health care providers wash their hands before examining you.
· Do not share personal items such as towels, clothes, equipment, soap, deodorant, etc.
· Cover all wounds with a clean bandage, and avoid contact with other people's soiled bandages.
· Avoid common whirlpools or saunas if another participant has an open sore.
· Make sure that shared bathing facilities are clean.
Loyola health services
Center for Disease Control
Cabrera Scores Twice As Women's Soccer Earns 3-...
The Loyola University Maryland women's soccer team scored a pair of goals in the first 11 minutes...
Pair Of Men’s Lacrosse Alums Named To...
Two Loyola University Maryland men’s lacrosse alumni – Joe Fletcher ’14 and...
Wahlig Named To Preseason All-Patriot League...
Senior defender Nicole Wahlig has been named to the 2016 Preseason All-Patriot League Team, while...
Loyola Hosts UMBC In Home Opener
The Loyola University Maryland women’s soccer team hosts in-state rival UMBC at Ridley...
VanThof Selected To Prestigious U.S. Women's...
Loyola University Maryland women’s lacrosse alumnae Taryn VanThof ’14 has been named ...
Women's Soccer Opens 2016 Season Friday At...
The Loyola University Maryland women’s soccer team kicks off the 2016 season with an away...
Loyola Women’s Basketball Posts No. 9 GPA...
Loyola University Maryland women’s basketball’s success in the classroom was...
Aikens, Caldwell, Mathis Named To IWLCA...
Shannon Aikens, Taylor Caldwell and Bailey Mathis have been named to the IWLCA Zag Sports...
Thursday, Aug 25 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Soccer Saint Francis Pa. 7:00 PM Live Stats Video Friday, Aug 26 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer La Salle 7:00 PM Live Stats Video Sunday, Aug 28 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Soccer St. Johns 4:00 PM Live Stats Video Monday, Aug 29 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer at Saint Francis Pa. 1:00 PM Friday, Sept 2 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer at Old Dominion 7:00 PM Women's Soccer Cornell 6:00 PM Live Stats Video Women's Volleyball vs Delaware State 12:30 PM Women's Volleyball at UMBC 7:00 PM Saturday, Sept 3 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Volleyball vs Akron 1:00 PM Sunday, Sept 4 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Soccer at Delaware 7:00 PM Tuesday, Sept 6 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Volleyball George Washington 7:00 PM Live Stats Wednesday, Sept 7 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer George Washington 7:00 PM Live Stats Video Friday, Sept 9 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Soccer at Monmouth N.J. 7:00 PM Video
Women's Volleyball at UConn 10:00 AM Live Stats Men's Tennis at Bucknell Invitational 2:00 PM Women's Tennis at Bucknell Invitational 2:00 PM Women's Volleyball vs St. Francis Brooklyn 5:00 PM Live Stats Saturday, Sept 10 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer High Point 7:00 PM Live Stats Video Men's Tennis at Bucknell Invitational 9:00 AM Women's Tennis at Bucknell Invitational 9:00 AM Cross Country at Salty Dog Invitational 11:30 AM Men's Golf vs Rod Myers Invitational All Day Sunday, Sept 11 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Soccer at Seton Hall 1:00 PM Live Stats Men's Tennis at Bucknell Invitational 9:00 AM Women's Tennis at Bucknell Invitational 9:00 AM Men's Golf vs Rod Myers Invitational All Day Friday, Sept 16 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Tennis at St. Josephs Invitational 12:00 PM Women's Tennis at Navy Invitational 12:00 PM Saturday, Sept 17 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer at UConn 7:00 PM Live Stats Men's Tennis at St. Josephs Invitational 9:00 AM Women's Tennis at Navy Invitational 9:00 AM Sunday, Sept 18 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Tennis at Navy Invitational 9:00 AM Men's Tennis at St. Josephs Invitational 9:00 AM Friday, Sept 23 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Cross Country at Panorama Farms Invitational 10:00 AM Monday, Sept 26 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Golf vs Primland Intercollegiate All Day Tuesday, Sept 27 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Golf vs Primland Intercollegiate All Day Saturday, Oct 1 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Cross Country at Paul Short Run 11:45 AM Monday, Oct 10 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Golf vs Alister MacKenzie Invitational All Day Tuesday, Oct 11 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Golf vs Alister MacKenzie Invitational All Day Saturday, Oct 15 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Cross Country at Princeton Invitational TBA Crew vs Navy Day Regatta All Day Saturday, Oct 29 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Cross Country vs Patriot League Championships 11:00 AM Crew vs Head of the Schuylkill Regatta All Day Friday, Nov 11 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Cross Country vs NCAA Mid-Atlantic Regionals 12:00 PM Saturday, Nov 12 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Crew vs Frostbite Regatta All Day Sunday, Nov 13 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Crew vs Bill Braxton Regatta All Day