MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) protocols
If a student athlete presents any signs or symptoms of the MRSA the Loyola University Sports Medicine Department will work with both Dr. Tucker and Student Health Services to provide the appropriate care and treatment.
The appropriate steps to follow will be:
· Report to sports medicine staff with any signs/symptoms of MRSA
· Student athlete will be referred to Student Health Service or to Dr. Tucker at Union Memorial Sports Medicine
· Health Services and/or Dr. Tucker will take the appropriate testing procedure and decide on the treatment and care for the student athlete
· Student Health Services will be notified of a positive test result and will follow their previously set protocols.
· The student-athlete must be cleared for return to play by a physician.
The Signs and symptoms of MRSA can be:
The area will be:
· Painful to touch
· Warm to touch
· Pus and other fluids will be draining from the site.
Symptoms of a more serious infection may include:
· Chest pain
· Rash surrounding the area
· Muscle ache
· Shortness of breathe
**Serious staph infections may lead to:
· Blood poisoning (sepsis)
· Organ failure and death may result from untreated
MRSA is caused by a strain of Staphylococcus aureus bacteria. This bacteria normally lives on the skin and sometimes in the nasal passages. MRSA refers to S. aureus strains that do not respond to the antibiotics normally used to cure staph infections. The bacteria can cause infection when they enter the body through a cut, sore, catheter, or breathing tube. The infection can be minor and local (for example, a pimple), or more serious (involving the heart, blood, or bone). Serious staph infections are more common in people with weak immune systems. This includes patients in hospitals and long-term care facilities and those receiving kidney dialysis.
MRSA infections are grouped into two types:
· Healthcare-associated -infections occur in people who are or have recently been in the hospital. Those who have been hospitalized or had surgery within the past year are at increased risk.
· Community-associate-infections occur in people that are otherwise healthy. The infections have occurred among athletes who share equipment or personal items (such as towels, razors, soaps, improperly treated whirlpools, and equipment (mats, pads, surfaces, etc).).
Tests & diagnosis
Depending on your symptoms, your doctor may recommend the following tests to detect and confirm the bacteria causing the infection:
· Blood culture
· Culture of the drainage (fluid) from the infection
· Skin culture from the infected site
· Sputum culture
· Urine culture
Draining the skin sore is often the only treatment needed for a local skin MRSA infection. This can be done at the doctor's office. More serious MRSA infections, especially HA-MRSA infections, are becoming increasingly difficult to treat and may require antibiotics.
It is important to finish all doses of antibiotics you have been given, unfinished doses can lead to further drug resistance in the bacteria, or can cause an infection that seemed to be cured to return.
Other treatments may be needed for more serious infections. The person will be admitted to a hospital:
· Fluids and medications given through a vein
· Kidney dialysis (if kidney failure occurs)
Careful attention to personal hygiene is key to avoiding MRSA infections.
· Notify anyone you might come in contact with if you are contagious
· Wash your hands frequently (if not able to wash hands recommended use antibacterial hand wash or instant hand sanitizer).
· Make sure all health care providers wash their hands before examining you.
· Do not share personal items such as towels, clothes, equipment, soap, deodorant, etc.
· Cover all wounds with a clean bandage, and avoid contact with other people's soiled bandages.
· Avoid common whirlpools or saunas if another participant has an open sore.
· Make sure that shared bathing facilities are clean.
Loyola health services
Center for Disease Control
Saturday's Lacrosse Doubleheader Ends With...
The Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team will host No. 19 James Madison in the second...
Final Women's Basketball Regular-Season Game...
Loyola University Maryland women's basketball will make a quick trip south for its final regular-...
Men's Lacrosse Hosts Lehigh To Start Lax...
Lehigh University men's lacrosse visits Ridley Athletic Complex Saturday to face Loyola...
Regular-Season Finale Pits Men's Basketball...
Loyola University Maryland men's basketball plays its regular-season finale at 11 a.m. on...
Two Relays Score In First Day Of ECAC Swimming ...
The Loyola University Maryland men's swimming and diving team had four Greyhounds compete in at...
Gilson Named To Academic All-Patriot League...
Loyola University Maryland indoor track and field junior Sara Gilson was named to the Academic...
Tennis Opens Southern Swing With Losses At N.C....
Loyola University Maryland men's and women's tennis teams started their swing through North...
Four Greyhounds Honored On Tewaaraton Award...
The Loyola University Maryland men's and women's lacrosse teams placed four Greyhounds on the...
Sunday, Mar 1 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Tennis at Shaw 10:00 AM Swimming & Diving at ECAC Championships All Day Live Stats | Video
Tuesday, Mar 3 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball at Holy Cross 7:00 PM Video Women's Lacrosse at Florida 1:00 PM Wednesday, Mar 4 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Basketball at Lafayette 7:00 PM Video Thursday, Mar 5 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball vs Patriot League Quarterfinals TBA Video Friday, Mar 6 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Basketball vs Patriot League Quarterfinals TBA Saturday, Mar 7 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Lacrosse at Duke 1:00 PM Women's Lacrosse Penn State 1:00 PM Video Sunday, Mar 8 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball vs Patriot League Semifinals TBA Men's Golf vs Cleveland Golf Palmetto Intercollegiate All Day Monday, Mar 9 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Basketball vs Patriot League Semifinals TBA Men's Golf vs Cleveland Golf Palmetto Intercollegiate All Day Tuesday, Mar 10 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Golf vs Cleveland Golf Palmetto Intercollegiate All Day Wednesday, Mar 11 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball vs Patriot League Championship Game TBA Tennis Shepherd - Men 2:30 PM Women's Lacrosse at Virginia 7:00 PM Saturday, Mar 14 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Basketball vs Patriot League Championship Game TBA Men's Tennis La Salle 11:00 AM Tennis La Salle 11:00 AM Men's Lacrosse at Army 12:00 PM Women's Lacrosse Lafayette 1:00 PM Video Crew vs Jesuit Invitational All Day Sunday, Mar 15 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Tennis Hofstra 11:00 AM Tennis Hofstra 11:00 AM Tennis Coppin State 4:00 PM Wednesday, Mar 18 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Tennis at Morgan State 2:00 PM Tennis at Morgan State 2:30 PM Women's Lacrosse Bucknell 5:00 PM Video Men's Lacrosse Georgetown 7:15 PM Video Friday, Mar 20 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Tennis vs Holy Cross 3:00 PM Saturday, Mar 21 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Tennis vs Lafayette 3:00 PM Women's Lacrosse at Lehigh 4:00 PM Men's Lacrosse at Lafayette 4:30 PM Women's Track at Philadelphia Classic All Day Sunday, Mar 22 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Soccer George Washington 3:00 PM Men's Tennis at Army 9:00 AM Men's Golf vs Middleburg Bank Intercollegiate All Day Monday, Mar 23 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Golf vs Middleburg Bank Intercollegiate All Day Tuesday, Mar 24 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Golf vs Middleburg Bank Intercollegiate All Day Saturday, Mar 28 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Lacrosse Colgate 2:30 PM Crew vs Murphy Cup All Day Women's Track at Maryland Invitational All Day Sunday, Mar 29 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Crew vs Occoquan Sprints All Day
Sunday, Feb 22 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Basketball Colgate W, 80-78 (3OT) Video Tennis Wagner Cancelled Women's Track Patriot League Indoor Championships All Day Live Stats Men's Golf Loyola Golf Invitational (sponsored by Neville Kovacs Group) -- Live Results Monday, Feb 23 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Golf Loyola Golf Invitational (sponsored by Neville Kovacs Group) -- Live Results Tuesday, Feb 24 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Golf Loyola Golf Invitational (sponsored by Neville Kovacs Group) 8th of 17 Live Results Wednesday, Feb 25 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Basketball Holy Cross L, 63-60 Live Stats | Video
Women's Basketball Holy Cross L, 65-37 Video Women's Lacrosse Johns Hopkins W, 12-10 (OT) Video Friday, Feb 27 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Tennis North Carolina Central Men: L, 5-2; Women: L, 5-2 Swimming & Diving ECAC Championships -- Live Stats | Video
Saturday, Feb 28 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Basketball Navy L, 57-47 Video Women's Basketball Navy L, 59-50 Video Tennis North Carolina A&T 9:00 AM Men's Lacrosse Lehigh W, 11-8 Video Women's Lacrosse James Madison L, 11-10 (OT) Video Swimming & Diving ECAC Championships -- Live Stats | Video
Sunday, Mar 1 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Tennis Shaw 10:00 AM Swimming & Diving ECAC Championships All Day Live Stats | Video