Diet and Nutrition Information
The Sports Medicine staff works with Sue A. James, MS, RD, LDN of Pinnacle Health and Wellness and the Strength and Conditioning staff to assist and monitor our student athletes with their dietary or nutritional needs throughout the pre-season, in-season, and off-season.
The following are some general tips to follow for student-athletes eating on the road:
- Order pancakes, French toast, muffins, toast, cereal, fruit, and juices.
- Request that toast, pancakes, etc. be served without butter or margarine. Use small amounts of syrup, jelly, and jam.
- Choose low-fat dairy products (skim or 1% milk, low-fat yogurt, low-fat cheese, etc.)
- Fresh fruit may be expensive or difficult to find. Carry fresh and/or dried fruits.
- Cold cereal can be a good breakfast or snack. Carry boxes in the car or on the bus. Keep low-fat milk in cooler or purchase at convenience stores.
- Look for lower fat meats on sandwiches such as turkey or chicken. Remember the most of the fat in sandwiches is in the spread. Prepare or order without the mayo, special sauce, or butter. User ketchup or mustard instead.
- Choose foods that are broiled, baked, steamed, or broiled rather than fried, and try to avoid breaded items.
- At salad bars, limit the dressing, olives, fried croutons, nuts, and seeds. Choose low-fat dressings, if low-fat dressings aren't available, pack your own.
- Baked potatoes should be ordered with butter and sauces "on the side". Add just enough to moisten the carbohydrate-rich potato.
- Soups and crackers can be good for low-fat meals; stay away from cream soups.
- Juices, low-fat milk, and low-fat milkshakes are a more nutritious choice than soda pop.
- Go to restaurants that offer high-carbohydrate foods such as pasta, baked potatoes, rice, bread, vegetables, salad bars, and fruits.
- Eat thick crust pizzas with low-fat toppings such as green peppers, mushrooms, Canadian bacon, and onions. Avoid fatty meats such as pepperoni or sausage, extra cheese, and olives.
- Eat breads without butter or margarine...use jelly instead. Ask for salads with dressing "on the side" so that you can add minimal amounts yourself. Ask for low-fat salad dressings.
- Whole grain breads, muffins, bagels, tortillas, fruit, fruit breads, low-fat crackers, pretzels, unbuttered popcorn, oatmeal raisin cookie s, fig bars, animal crackers, fruit juice, carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, breakfast cereal, canned liquid meals, dried and fresh fruit.
Don't forget about fluids: To prevent dehydration, you should keep well hydrated at all times, even on the road, by drinking frequently before, during, and after practice or workouts.
- Do not drown your thirst in calories! Drink plenty of water.
- In restaurants, including fast food ones, ask for water in addition to other beverages. Request a pitcher of water be left at your table.
- You can buy bottled water or mineral water at grocery stores and convenience stores.
- Carry squeeze bottles of water, sports drinks, and fruit juices with you, especially on long airplane flights.
- Limit alcoholic beverages. Alcohol is a diuretic and causes fluid loss.
Please refer to the Pinnacle Health and Wellness website to learn more helpful tips. For any questions feel free to contact any member of the Sports Medicine staff and they will help you in any way possible.
Pinnacle Health and Wellness
Loyola University Maryland Strength and Conditioning
Regular-Season Schedule Released For Men's Soccer
Loyola University Maryland will host eight men's soccer games at Ridley Athletic as part of its...
Women's Soccer Announces 2016 Schedule
The Loyola University Maryland women's soccer team has announced its 16-game schedule for the...
Van Arsdale Named Loyola Men’s Lacrosse...
Loyola University Maryland head men’s lacrosse coach Charley Toomey announced the hiring of...
Coan, Gialamas Make Team USA For Paralympic...
Two Loyola University Maryland swimmers, McKenzie Coan and Alyssa Gialamas have been selected to ...
More Than 200 Greyhounds Earn Patriot League...
Loyola University Maryland placed 202 student-athletes on their respective sports' Patriot League...
Coan, Gialamas Begin Competition At US...
Loyola University Maryland swimmers McKenzie Coan and Alyssa Gialamas will look to qualify for a ...
Greyhounds Continue To Reach New Heights In...
Loyola University Maryland student-athletes continued their outstanding work in the classroom...
Cono To Compete In 100 Breast At U.S. Swimming ...
Loyola University Maryland rising junior Ben Cono will travel to Omaha, Nebraska, to compete in...
Friday, Aug 19 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Soccer at Mount St. Marys 7:00 PM Sunday, Aug 21 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Soccer UMBC 4:00 PM Live Stats Video Thursday, Aug 25 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Soccer Saint Francis Pa. 7:00 PM Live Stats Video Friday, Aug 26 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer La Salle 7:00 PM Live Stats Women's Volleyball at The Citadel 1:00 PM Saturday, Aug 27 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Volleyball vs Gardner-Webb 9:00 AM Women's Volleyball vs Morehead State 2:30 PM Sunday, Aug 28 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Soccer St. Johns 4:00 PM Live Stats Video Monday, Aug 29 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer at Saint Francis Pa. 1:00 PM Friday, Sept 2 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer at Old Dominion 7:00 PM Women's Soccer Cornell 6:00 PM Live Stats Video Women's Volleyball vs Delaware State 12:30 PM Women's Volleyball at UMBC 7:00 PM Saturday, Sept 3 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Volleyball vs Akron 1:00 PM Sunday, Sept 4 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Soccer at Delaware 7:00 PM Wednesday, Sept 7 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer George Washington 7:00 PM Live Stats Video Friday, Sept 9 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Tennis at Bucknell Invitational 2:00 PM Women's Tennis at Bucknell Invitational 2:00 PM Saturday, Sept 10 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer High Point 7:00 PM Live Stats Video Men's Tennis at Bucknell Invitational 9:00 AM Women's Tennis at Bucknell Invitational 9:00 AM Cross Country at Salty Dog Invitational 11:30 AM Sunday, Sept 11 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Tennis at Bucknell Invitational 9:00 AM Women's Tennis at Bucknell Invitational 9:00 AM Friday, Sept 16 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Tennis at St. Josephs Invitational 12:00 PM Women's Tennis at Navy Invitational 12:00 PM Saturday, Sept 17 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer at UConn 7:00 PM Men's Tennis at St. Josephs Invitational 9:00 AM Women's Tennis at Navy Invitational 9:00 AM Sunday, Sept 18 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Tennis at Navy Invitational 9:00 AM Men's Tennis at St. Josephs Invitational 9:00 AM Friday, Sept 23 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Cross Country at Panorama Farms Invitational 10:00 AM Saturday, Oct 1 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Cross Country at Paul Short Run 11:45 AM Saturday, Oct 15 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Cross Country at Princeton Invitational TBA
There are no event results at this time.