Diet and Nutrition Information
The Sports Medicine staff works with Sue A. James, MS, RD, LDN of Pinnacle Health and Wellness and the Strength and Conditioning staff to assist and monitor our student athletes with their dietary or nutritional needs throughout the pre-season, in-season, and off-season.
The following are some general tips to follow for student-athletes eating on the road:
- Order pancakes, French toast, muffins, toast, cereal, fruit, and juices.
- Request that toast, pancakes, etc. be served without butter or margarine. Use small amounts of syrup, jelly, and jam.
- Choose low-fat dairy products (skim or 1% milk, low-fat yogurt, low-fat cheese, etc.)
- Fresh fruit may be expensive or difficult to find. Carry fresh and/or dried fruits.
- Cold cereal can be a good breakfast or snack. Carry boxes in the car or on the bus. Keep low-fat milk in cooler or purchase at convenience stores.
- Look for lower fat meats on sandwiches such as turkey or chicken. Remember the most of the fat in sandwiches is in the spread. Prepare or order without the mayo, special sauce, or butter. User ketchup or mustard instead.
- Choose foods that are broiled, baked, steamed, or broiled rather than fried, and try to avoid breaded items.
- At salad bars, limit the dressing, olives, fried croutons, nuts, and seeds. Choose low-fat dressings, if low-fat dressings aren't available, pack your own.
- Baked potatoes should be ordered with butter and sauces "on the side". Add just enough to moisten the carbohydrate-rich potato.
- Soups and crackers can be good for low-fat meals; stay away from cream soups.
- Juices, low-fat milk, and low-fat milkshakes are a more nutritious choice than soda pop.
- Go to restaurants that offer high-carbohydrate foods such as pasta, baked potatoes, rice, bread, vegetables, salad bars, and fruits.
- Eat thick crust pizzas with low-fat toppings such as green peppers, mushrooms, Canadian bacon, and onions. Avoid fatty meats such as pepperoni or sausage, extra cheese, and olives.
- Eat breads without butter or margarine...use jelly instead. Ask for salads with dressing "on the side" so that you can add minimal amounts yourself. Ask for low-fat salad dressings.
- Whole grain breads, muffins, bagels, tortillas, fruit, fruit breads, low-fat crackers, pretzels, unbuttered popcorn, oatmeal raisin cookie s, fig bars, animal crackers, fruit juice, carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, breakfast cereal, canned liquid meals, dried and fresh fruit.
Don't forget about fluids: To prevent dehydration, you should keep well hydrated at all times, even on the road, by drinking frequently before, during, and after practice or workouts.
- Do not drown your thirst in calories! Drink plenty of water.
- In restaurants, including fast food ones, ask for water in addition to other beverages. Request a pitcher of water be left at your table.
- You can buy bottled water or mineral water at grocery stores and convenience stores.
- Carry squeeze bottles of water, sports drinks, and fruit juices with you, especially on long airplane flights.
- Limit alcoholic beverages. Alcohol is a diuretic and causes fluid loss.
Please refer to the Pinnacle Health and Wellness website to learn more helpful tips. For any questions feel free to contact any member of the Sports Medicine staff and they will help you in any way possible.
Pinnacle Health and Wellness
Loyola University Maryland Strength and Conditioning
Stony Brook Outpaces Men's Basketball
Stony Brook University jumped out to a 10-point lead less than 11 minutes into the game, and...
Women's Basketball Drops Heartbreaker To...
William & Mary converted a free throw with one second remaining in regulation to hand the Loyola ...
Columbia Hosts Women's Basketball For Saturday ...
Loyola University Maryland women's basketball returns from the Thanksgiving holiday to take on...
Siena Hosts Men's Hoops In Saturday Matinee
Loyola University Maryland men's basketball will face former Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference...
Albrecht, Carrigan, Manning, Sherlock Named Men...
Four Loyola University Maryland men's lacrosse players - seniors Tyler Albrecht and David Manning...
Marshall Drops 28 In Women's Basketball Wire-To...
Colleen Marshall scored 28 points, and Bri Betz-White added 19, as the Loyola University Maryland...
Pre-Thanksgiving Tilt Tuesday For Men's...
Loyola University Maryland men's basketball returns to Reitz Arena on Tuesday, Nov. 24, for a 7:3...
Women's Basketball Hosts William & Mary Monday ...
On Monday night, Loyola University Maryland women's basketball will host the College of William &...
Tuesday, Dec 1 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball at Kansas 7:00 PM Live Stats | Video
Wednesday, Dec 2 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Basketball at Old Dominion 11:00 AM Live Stats Video
Friday, Dec 4 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Swimming & Diving Iona 5:00 PM Swimming & Diving Marist 5:00 PM Swimming & Diving Saint Peters 5:00 PM Saturday, Dec 5 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball at Mount St. Marys 2:00 PM Live Stats Video
Women's Basketball at Mount St. Marys 4:30 PM Live Stats Video
Women's Track vs Metro Holiday Season Opener 12:30 PM Swimming & Diving Saint Peters TBA Swimming & Diving Marist TBA Swimming & Diving Iona TBA Tuesday, Dec 8 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball Towson 7:30 PM Live Stats Video Women's Basketball at Maryland 7:00 PM Live Stats | Video
Sunday, Dec 20 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Basketball UMBC 12:00 PM Live Stats Video Tuesday, Dec 22 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball at Fairfield 7:00 PM Live Stats
Women's Basketball at St. Francis Brooklyn 1:00 PM Video
Sunday, Dec 27 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball at Northwestern 7:00 PM Wednesday, Dec 30 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball American 7:30 PM Live Stats Live Stats Women's Basketball American 4:30 PM Live Stats Video
Monday, Nov 23 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Basketball William & Mary L, 62-61 Live Stats | VIdeo Tuesday, Nov 24 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Basketball Stony Brook L, 76-63 Live Stats | Video Saturday, Nov 28 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Basketball Siena L, 90-82 (OT) Live Stats | Video Women's Basketball Columbia L, 63-53 Live Stats Video