Diet and Nutrition Information
The Sports Medicine staff works with Sue A. James, MS, RD, LDN of Pinnacle Health and Wellness and the Strength and Conditioning staff to assist and monitor our student athletes with their dietary or nutritional needs throughout the pre-season, in-season, and off-season.
The following are some general tips to follow for student-athletes eating on the road:
- Order pancakes, French toast, muffins, toast, cereal, fruit, and juices.
- Request that toast, pancakes, etc. be served without butter or margarine. Use small amounts of syrup, jelly, and jam.
- Choose low-fat dairy products (skim or 1% milk, low-fat yogurt, low-fat cheese, etc.)
- Fresh fruit may be expensive or difficult to find. Carry fresh and/or dried fruits.
- Cold cereal can be a good breakfast or snack. Carry boxes in the car or on the bus. Keep low-fat milk in cooler or purchase at convenience stores.
- Look for lower fat meats on sandwiches such as turkey or chicken. Remember the most of the fat in sandwiches is in the spread. Prepare or order without the mayo, special sauce, or butter. User ketchup or mustard instead.
- Choose foods that are broiled, baked, steamed, or broiled rather than fried, and try to avoid breaded items.
- At salad bars, limit the dressing, olives, fried croutons, nuts, and seeds. Choose low-fat dressings, if low-fat dressings aren't available, pack your own.
- Baked potatoes should be ordered with butter and sauces "on the side". Add just enough to moisten the carbohydrate-rich potato.
- Soups and crackers can be good for low-fat meals; stay away from cream soups.
- Juices, low-fat milk, and low-fat milkshakes are a more nutritious choice than soda pop.
- Go to restaurants that offer high-carbohydrate foods such as pasta, baked potatoes, rice, bread, vegetables, salad bars, and fruits.
- Eat thick crust pizzas with low-fat toppings such as green peppers, mushrooms, Canadian bacon, and onions. Avoid fatty meats such as pepperoni or sausage, extra cheese, and olives.
- Eat breads without butter or margarine...use jelly instead. Ask for salads with dressing "on the side" so that you can add minimal amounts yourself. Ask for low-fat salad dressings.
- Whole grain breads, muffins, bagels, tortillas, fruit, fruit breads, low-fat crackers, pretzels, unbuttered popcorn, oatmeal raisin cookie s, fig bars, animal crackers, fruit juice, carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, breakfast cereal, canned liquid meals, dried and fresh fruit.
Don't forget about fluids: To prevent dehydration, you should keep well hydrated at all times, even on the road, by drinking frequently before, during, and after practice or workouts.
- Do not drown your thirst in calories! Drink plenty of water.
- In restaurants, including fast food ones, ask for water in addition to other beverages. Request a pitcher of water be left at your table.
- You can buy bottled water or mineral water at grocery stores and convenience stores.
- Carry squeeze bottles of water, sports drinks, and fruit juices with you, especially on long airplane flights.
- Limit alcoholic beverages. Alcohol is a diuretic and causes fluid loss.
Please refer to the Pinnacle Health and Wellness website to learn more helpful tips. For any questions feel free to contact any member of the Sports Medicine staff and they will help you in any way possible.
Pinnacle Health and Wellness
Loyola University Maryland Strength and Conditioning
Men's Lacrosse Earns NCAA Bid With 14-6 Patriot...
Graham Savio won 15-of-23 faceoffs, and Pat Spencer finished with a Patriot League Championship...
Lesher, Powers, Adams Earn Major Awards, Seven ...
The Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team placed seven Greyhounds on the All-Patriot...
WLAX Caps Regular Season With Win Over Army...
The Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team concluded its regular season with an 18-7...
Golfers Finish Third At Patriot League...
The Loyola University Maryland golf team turned in the second-best score of the day, but it wasn'...
Sirico-to-Herreweyers In 2OT To Lift Men's Lax ...
Zack Sirico initiated from behind the cage and slipped a pass to Zach Herreweyers who hit a lefty...
Flach Tied For Fifth After Two Rounds Of...
Following the first two rounds of the Patriot League Championships at United States Naval Academy...
Men's Lacrosse Meets Army West Point Sunday For...
Loyola University Maryland men's lacrosse will play the U.S. Military Academy on Sunday, May 1,...
Track Puts Together Strong Showing Before...
The Loyola University Maryland women’s track team recorded seven top-10 finishes and eight ...
Friday, May 6 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track at Patriot League Championship 9:00 AM Live Results Women's Lacrosse Lehigh 5:00 PM Live Stats Video Women's Lacrosse Boston University vs. Navy 7:40 PM Live Stats Video
Saturday, May 7 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track at Patriot League Championship 12:00 PM Live Results Sunday, May 8 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Lacrosse Patriot League Championship Game 12:00 PM Video Friday, May 13 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Crew vs Patriot League Championship All Day Crew vs Dad Vail Championship Regatta All Day Women's Track at ECAC Championship All Day Saturday, May 14 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track at ECAC Championship All Day Crew vs Dad Vail Championship Regatta All Day Sunday, May 15 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track at ECAC Championship All Day Thursday, May 26 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track at NCAA East Regional All Day Friday, June 3 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Crew vs IRA National Championships All Day Saturday, June 4 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Crew vs IRA National Championships All Day
Thursday, Apr 28 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Track Penn Relays NTS | Friday, Apr 29 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Tennis Army West Point 6:00 PM | Men's Lacrosse Bucknell W, 7-6 (2OT) Live Stats | Saturday, Apr 30 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Track Lehigh Games NTS | Live Stats Women's Lacrosse Army West Point W, 18-7 Live Stats | Video Men's Golf Patriot League Championships -- | Live Results Men's Tennis Patriot League Championships TBA | Crew Mid-Atlantic Rowing Conference Championships All Day | Sunday, May 1 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Lacrosse Army West Point W, 14-6 Live Stats | Men's Golf Patriot League Championships 3rd of 8 | Live Results Men's Tennis Patriot League Championships TBA |