Diet and Nutrition Information
The Sports Medicine staff works with Sue A. James, MS, RD, LDN of Pinnacle Health and Wellness and the Strength and Conditioning staff to assist and monitor our student athletes with their dietary or nutritional needs throughout the pre-season, in-season, and off-season.
The following are some general tips to follow for student-athletes eating on the road:
- Order pancakes, French toast, muffins, toast, cereal, fruit, and juices.
- Request that toast, pancakes, etc. be served without butter or margarine. Use small amounts of syrup, jelly, and jam.
- Choose low-fat dairy products (skim or 1% milk, low-fat yogurt, low-fat cheese, etc.)
- Fresh fruit may be expensive or difficult to find. Carry fresh and/or dried fruits.
- Cold cereal can be a good breakfast or snack. Carry boxes in the car or on the bus. Keep low-fat milk in cooler or purchase at convenience stores.
- Look for lower fat meats on sandwiches such as turkey or chicken. Remember the most of the fat in sandwiches is in the spread. Prepare or order without the mayo, special sauce, or butter. User ketchup or mustard instead.
- Choose foods that are broiled, baked, steamed, or broiled rather than fried, and try to avoid breaded items.
- At salad bars, limit the dressing, olives, fried croutons, nuts, and seeds. Choose low-fat dressings, if low-fat dressings aren't available, pack your own.
- Baked potatoes should be ordered with butter and sauces "on the side". Add just enough to moisten the carbohydrate-rich potato.
- Soups and crackers can be good for low-fat meals; stay away from cream soups.
- Juices, low-fat milk, and low-fat milkshakes are a more nutritious choice than soda pop.
- Go to restaurants that offer high-carbohydrate foods such as pasta, baked potatoes, rice, bread, vegetables, salad bars, and fruits.
- Eat thick crust pizzas with low-fat toppings such as green peppers, mushrooms, Canadian bacon, and onions. Avoid fatty meats such as pepperoni or sausage, extra cheese, and olives.
- Eat breads without butter or margarine...use jelly instead. Ask for salads with dressing "on the side" so that you can add minimal amounts yourself. Ask for low-fat salad dressings.
- Whole grain breads, muffins, bagels, tortillas, fruit, fruit breads, low-fat crackers, pretzels, unbuttered popcorn, oatmeal raisin cookie s, fig bars, animal crackers, fruit juice, carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, breakfast cereal, canned liquid meals, dried and fresh fruit.
Don't forget about fluids: To prevent dehydration, you should keep well hydrated at all times, even on the road, by drinking frequently before, during, and after practice or workouts.
- Do not drown your thirst in calories! Drink plenty of water.
- In restaurants, including fast food ones, ask for water in addition to other beverages. Request a pitcher of water be left at your table.
- You can buy bottled water or mineral water at grocery stores and convenience stores.
- Carry squeeze bottles of water, sports drinks, and fruit juices with you, especially on long airplane flights.
- Limit alcoholic beverages. Alcohol is a diuretic and causes fluid loss.
Please refer to the Pinnacle Health and Wellness website to learn more helpful tips. For any questions feel free to contact any member of the Sports Medicine staff and they will help you in any way possible.
Pinnacle Health and Wellness
Loyola University Maryland Strength and Conditioning
Women's Lacrosse Knocks Off Navy For Second-Str...
The top-seeded No. 16 Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team snagged its second-straigh...
Golfers Hold Nine-Stroke Lead Heading Into...
Five Greyhounds are among the top seven individuals following the first two rounds of the Patriot...
Women's Lacrosse Hosts Navy In Patriot League...
The Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team will take on Navy Sunday at 1 p.m., in the...
Women's Lacrosse Advances To PL Title Game With...
The 16th-ranked Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse picked up a 14-7 win over Boston...
Loyola University Maryland Athletics...
Twenty-one student-athletes at Loyola University Maryland will comprise the first induction class...
Alumni Challenge Generates Terrific Support For...
Loyola University Maryland Athletics generated nearly 300 gifts from former student-athletes...
Women's Lacrosse Hosts Boston U. In Semifinals ...
The No. 16 Loyola women's lacrosse team hosts Boston University Friday at 5 p.m., in the...
Frazier, Sherlock Named To Academic All-Patriot...
A pair of Loyola University Maryland men's lacrosse captains - senior defender Pat Frazier and...
Sunday, Apr 26 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Lacrosse Navy W, 14-9 Video Men's Golf vs Patriot League Championships 1st Live Scoring Friday, May 1 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track vs Patriot Leauge Outdoor Championships All Day Saturday, May 2 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Lacrosse Syracuse 1:00 PM Video Women's Track vs Patriot Leauge Outdoor Championships All Day Friday, May 8 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Lacrosse vs NCAA First Round TBA Crew vs Dad Vail Championships All Day Saturday, May 9 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Crew vs Dad Vail Championships All Day Sunday, May 10 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Lacrosse vs NCAA Second Round TBA Friday, May 15 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Crew vs Patriot League Championships All Day Women's Track vs ECAC Championships All Day Saturday, May 16 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Lacrosse vs NCAA Quarterfinals TBA Women's Track vs ECAC Championships All Day Sunday, May 17 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Lacrosse vs NCAA Quarterfinals TBA Women's Track vs ECAC Championships All Day
Sunday, Apr 19 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Soccer Alumnae Day 11:00 AM Tuesday, Apr 21 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Lacrosse Army West Point L, 12-11 Video Friday, Apr 24 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Tennis Lehigh - Women L, 4-0 Women's Lacrosse Boston University W, 14-7 Video Saturday, Apr 25 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Track The Lehigh Games All Day Live Stats Men's Golf Patriot League Championships -- Live Scoring Sunday, Apr 26 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Lacrosse Navy W, 14-9 Video Men's Golf Patriot League Championships 1st Live Scoring