Diet and Nutrition Information
The Sports Medicine staff works with Sue A. James, MS, RD, LDN of Pinnacle Health and Wellness and the Strength and Conditioning staff to assist and monitor our student athletes with their dietary or nutritional needs throughout the pre-season, in-season, and off-season.
The following are some general tips to follow for student-athletes eating on the road:
- Order pancakes, French toast, muffins, toast, cereal, fruit, and juices.
- Request that toast, pancakes, etc. be served without butter or margarine. Use small amounts of syrup, jelly, and jam.
- Choose low-fat dairy products (skim or 1% milk, low-fat yogurt, low-fat cheese, etc.)
- Fresh fruit may be expensive or difficult to find. Carry fresh and/or dried fruits.
- Cold cereal can be a good breakfast or snack. Carry boxes in the car or on the bus. Keep low-fat milk in cooler or purchase at convenience stores.
- Look for lower fat meats on sandwiches such as turkey or chicken. Remember the most of the fat in sandwiches is in the spread. Prepare or order without the mayo, special sauce, or butter. User ketchup or mustard instead.
- Choose foods that are broiled, baked, steamed, or broiled rather than fried, and try to avoid breaded items.
- At salad bars, limit the dressing, olives, fried croutons, nuts, and seeds. Choose low-fat dressings, if low-fat dressings aren't available, pack your own.
- Baked potatoes should be ordered with butter and sauces "on the side". Add just enough to moisten the carbohydrate-rich potato.
- Soups and crackers can be good for low-fat meals; stay away from cream soups.
- Juices, low-fat milk, and low-fat milkshakes are a more nutritious choice than soda pop.
- Go to restaurants that offer high-carbohydrate foods such as pasta, baked potatoes, rice, bread, vegetables, salad bars, and fruits.
- Eat thick crust pizzas with low-fat toppings such as green peppers, mushrooms, Canadian bacon, and onions. Avoid fatty meats such as pepperoni or sausage, extra cheese, and olives.
- Eat breads without butter or margarine...use jelly instead. Ask for salads with dressing "on the side" so that you can add minimal amounts yourself. Ask for low-fat salad dressings.
- Whole grain breads, muffins, bagels, tortillas, fruit, fruit breads, low-fat crackers, pretzels, unbuttered popcorn, oatmeal raisin cookie s, fig bars, animal crackers, fruit juice, carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, breakfast cereal, canned liquid meals, dried and fresh fruit.
Don't forget about fluids: To prevent dehydration, you should keep well hydrated at all times, even on the road, by drinking frequently before, during, and after practice or workouts.
- Do not drown your thirst in calories! Drink plenty of water.
- In restaurants, including fast food ones, ask for water in addition to other beverages. Request a pitcher of water be left at your table.
- You can buy bottled water or mineral water at grocery stores and convenience stores.
- Carry squeeze bottles of water, sports drinks, and fruit juices with you, especially on long airplane flights.
- Limit alcoholic beverages. Alcohol is a diuretic and causes fluid loss.
Please refer to the Pinnacle Health and Wellness website to learn more helpful tips. For any questions feel free to contact any member of the Sports Medicine staff and they will help you in any way possible.
Pinnacle Health and Wellness
Loyola University Maryland Strength and Conditioning
Women's Basketball Set To Embark On First Round...
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team will play in the first round of the 2015...
Marshall and Betz-White Named To All-Patriot...
Loyola University Maryland women's basketball junior Colleen Marshall was named to the All-Patrio...
Holy Cross Leads Wire-to-Wire, Ends Men's...
Eric Laster led all scorers with 14 points, but College of the Holy Cross led wire-to-wire and...
No. 14 Loyola Women's Lacrosse Falls Short At...
The 17th-ranked Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team fell short at No. 4 Florida...
Maholage Named To Academic All-Patriot League...
Loyola University Maryland sophomore Dale Maholage has been named to the Academic All-Patriot...
Patriot League MBB Championships Start Tuesday ...
Loyola University Maryland men's basketball starts its play in the Patriot League Championships...
Women's Lacrosse Faces First Top-Five Foe At No...
The Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team will face its fourth-straight nationally...
Krawiec Named Patriot League Women's Tennis...
Loyola University Maryland sophomore Ania Krawiec was named the Corvias Patriot League Women's...
Wednesday, Mar 4 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Basketball at Lafayette L, 58-46 Video Saturday, Mar 7 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Lacrosse at Duke 1:00 PM Live Stats | ESPN3 Video
Women's Lacrosse Penn State 1:00 PM Video Sunday, Mar 8 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Golf vs Cleveland Golf Palmetto Intercollegiate All Day Monday, Mar 9 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Golf vs Cleveland Golf Palmetto Intercollegiate All Day Tuesday, Mar 10 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Golf vs Cleveland Golf Palmetto Intercollegiate All Day Wednesday, Mar 11 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Tennis Shepherd - Men 2:30 PM Women's Lacrosse at Virginia 7:00 PM Saturday, Mar 14 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Tennis La Salle 11:00 AM Tennis La Salle 11:00 AM Men's Lacrosse at Army 12:00 PM Women's Lacrosse Lafayette 1:00 PM Video Crew vs Jesuit Invitational All Day Sunday, Mar 15 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Tennis Hofstra 11:00 AM Tennis Hofstra 11:00 AM Tennis Coppin State 4:00 PM Wednesday, Mar 18 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Tennis at Morgan State 2:00 PM Tennis at Morgan State 2:30 PM Women's Lacrosse Bucknell 5:00 PM Video Men's Lacrosse Georgetown 7:15 PM Video Friday, Mar 20 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Tennis vs Holy Cross 3:00 PM Tennis vs Holy Cross 3:00 PM Saturday, Mar 21 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Tennis vs Lafayette 3:00 PM Women's Lacrosse at Lehigh 4:00 PM Men's Lacrosse at Lafayette 4:30 PM Women's Track at Philadelphia Classic All Day Sunday, Mar 22 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Soccer George Washington 3:00 PM Men's Tennis at Army 9:00 AM Men's Golf vs Middleburg Bank Intercollegiate All Day Monday, Mar 23 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Golf vs Middleburg Bank Intercollegiate All Day Tuesday, Mar 24 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Golf vs Middleburg Bank Intercollegiate All Day Wednesday, Mar 25 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Lacrosse Georgetown 7:00 PM Video Saturday, Mar 28 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Lacrosse Colgate 2:30 PM Crew vs Murphy Cup All Day Women's Track at Maryland Invitational All Day Sunday, Mar 29 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Crew vs Occoquan Sprints All Day Thursday, Apr 2 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track at Colonial Relays All Day Friday, Apr 3 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track at Colonial Relays All Day
Wednesday, Feb 25 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Basketball Holy Cross L, 63-60 Live Stats | Video
Women's Basketball Holy Cross L, 65-37 Video Women's Lacrosse Johns Hopkins W, 12-10 (OT) Video Friday, Feb 27 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Tennis North Carolina Central Men: L, 5-2; Women: L, 5-2 Swimming & Diving ECAC Championships -- Live Stats | Video
Saturday, Feb 28 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Basketball Navy L, 57-47 Video Women's Basketball Navy L, 59-50 Video Tennis North Carolina A&T 9:00 AM Men's Lacrosse Lehigh W, 11-8 Video Women's Lacrosse James Madison L, 11-10 (OT) Video Swimming & Diving ECAC Championships -- Live Stats | Video
Sunday, Mar 1 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Tennis Shaw 10:00 AM Swimming & Diving ECAC Championships All Day Live Stats | Video
Tuesday, Mar 3 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Basketball Holy Cross L, 62-45 Women's Lacrosse Florida L, 11-8 Live Stats | Video | Audio
Wednesday, Mar 4 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Basketball Lafayette L, 58-46 Video