Women's Soccer Plays Mountain Hawks To Scoreless Draw

Final Stats

BALTIMORE – After a scoreless 110 minutes of play against Lehigh University at Ridley Athletic Complex, the Loyola University Maryland women’s soccer team recorded it's third draw in Patriot League play, 0-0.

For the seventh time this season, the Greyhounds (5-3-4 overall, 1-1-3 Patriot League) had a match go into overtime, including five out of the last six matches to extend to extra minutes. 

"I think both teams had chances to win the game, and both teams played really well," said Head Coach Naomi Meiburger. "A draw was probably a fair result. I think we are probably the draw champions of the Patriot League right now."

The Greyhounds saw a few opportunities to score in the first half before heading into halftime. In the second minute, Juliana Cabrera had a shot that went high over the post and in the 29th minute Nicole Wahlig had a header that just missed the net, going wide left past the goalpost.

Loyola led Lehigh in shots in the first half, 5-2, and in corner kicks, 5-4. Both goalkeepers, Lily Andres for the Greyhounds and Sam Miller for the Mountain Hawks, ended the opening 45 with one save each.

The second half opened with a shot from Maddie Hart in the 45th minute, saved by Miller. Alice Regan had a shot that was blocked in the 73rd minute, resulting in a corner kick for the Greyhounds.

Lehigh (8-3-2, 2-2-1) almost saw a scoring opportunity in the 62nd minute but it was deflected by the defensive work of Morgan Crable. The Mountain Hawks shot again in the 84th minute from outside of the box, but the shot was saved by Andres.

The Greyhounds finished regulation leading the Mountain Hawks in shots, 8-7, and Lehigh led 9-8 in corner kicks. Each goalie ended regulation with two saves.

In the first overtime period, Mia Sardella took a free kick from 22 yards out that bounced off the crossbar, almost finishing the game for the Greyhounds. The ball fell in front of the far post, and Wahlig had a beat on it, but her shot went wide right.

For the fifth-straight match, the Greyhounds found themselves in double overtime. In the 105th minute, Lehigh’s Annika Ansa had a shot that went wide, almost ending the game, the only shot by both teams in the second overtime period.

The 110 minutes ended in a 0-0 draw. Both teams finished with 10 shots, Lehigh ended ahead in corner kicks, 9-8. Andres and Miller both logged two saves. 

Wahlig had three shots for the Greyhounds, the most of the night, followed by Sardella with two.

The Greyhounds head to New York to face Army West Point next Saturday, October 15. The match is slated to begin at 7 p.m.