Women's Soccer Falls To Army West Point, 2-1.

WEST POINT, N.Y.- Nicole Wahlig’s second half goal was not enough for the Greyhounds against Army West Point, falling 2-1 to the Black Knights in Saturday night’s Patriot League matchup.

"We played really well for 60 minutes tonight. Unfortunately we made some mistakes, and although I thought we responded well just were not able to ultimately overcome them," said head coach Naomi Meiburger. "I thought Nicole showed tremendous leadership and poise tonight to step into midfield and get a goal to get us back in the match. At that point I really thought anything could happen and despite some more chances we just fell short. We have a big match now against Bucknell on Wednesday and I know we will bounce back as we head into this last stretch of games."

The Greyhounds controlled the early minutes of the game in West Point, N.Y., taking two shots before the ten-minute mark.

The sixth minute saw a corner kick for Loyola, taken by Mia Sardella, who aimed it to Wahlig, shooting a header near the goal, but was blocked.

In the ninth minute, Maddie Boccio carried the ball from the corner of the field to the middle of the box, aiming a shot on goal that was saved by Black Knight goalkeeper, Jordan Cassalia.

The Black Knights quickly took over control, scoring a goal in the 24th minute. The goal was a header by Sam Gottlieb, her second of the season, assisted by Clare Shea.

A shot by Lexy Andrews in the 30th minute was the closest scoring opportunity for the Greyhounds in the first half off a corner kick from Sardella. Andrews shot but the ball barely brushed off the goalies fingers, sending it back into the box. From there, Sarah Ensor shot on goal but the ball was saved by Cassalia.

Late in the 30th minute, Army scored again, this time the goal was charted by Clare Shea off of a fast break opportunity. The goal was Shea’s third of the season.

The Black Knights had two shots late in the first half, one high and one blocked, to send them into the half leading Loyola in shots, 5-4. Loyola led in shots on goal, 3-2.

The second half started with a header shot from Wahlig in the 58th minute that went high off a corner from Sardella.

Sumer Rahe took over in goal in the second half for the Greyhounds, having her first save of the night in the 62nd minute.

Loyola charted its first goal off the night when Wahlig scored off a loose ball in the 71st minute, her third goal of the season. The goal was unassisted.

In the 88th minute, Wahlig shot again but the shot was saved by Cassalia. With less than two minutes remaining, Alex Regan tried to head one in but the shot went wide.

At the end of 90 minutes, Loyola fell to Army, 2-1. The Greyhounds led in shots overall, 9-6, and shots on goal, 5-3.

The Greyhounds head home to host Bucknell on Wednesday, Oct. 19. The match is set to begin at 7 p.m. at Ridley Athletic Complex.