Nov. 12, 2007
Next Up: Loyola travels to Fairfield, Conn., for the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Championships where the Greyhounds will take on host Fairfield in the first semifinal on Sunday, November 18, at 11 a.m.
Championships Data: Loyola is the third seed in the MAAC Championships. Siena is the top seed, Fairfield is second, and Iona is fourth. The Saints and Gales meet in the second semifinal on Sunday at 2 p.m., and the winner will advance to face the winner of the Loyola-Fairfield match in the MAAC Championship Game on Monday, November 19, at 7 p.m. The Championship Game will be televised live on ESPNU.
20-Win Season: Loyola's three-game win at Saint Peter's on Nov. 4 was the team's 20th of the season and marks the first time since 1992 that the Greyhounds have hit the 20-win plateau. In other words, Bill Clinton was not yet in office, a gallon of regular unleaded gas was only $1.13 and most of Loyola's current volleyball players were not yet in kindergarten.
Record-Setting Season: The Greyhounds have set or tied several school records this year. Individually, Chrissey Cruz and Brittany Born set single-season records for assists (1,381) and digs (607), respectively. Nina Camaioni set a single-game record with 36 digs against Marist. The team has posted the most consecutive road wins (4 from 9/1-16) and tied the mark for most home wins in a row (5, 10/13-present). The team is also on pace to set the best mark for winning percentage in a season (currently .667).
MAAC Rankings: Loyola players are ranked in several individual statistical categories in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference. Karlee Woodward and Rachel Schillinger are fourth and eighth in hitting percentage, and Nina Camaioni is eighth in kills per game. Chrissey Cruz is second in assists per game, while Brittany Born is third, and Camaioni is seventh, in digs. Woodward is second, and Schillinger is sixth, in blocks per game.
And As A Team: The Greyhounds lead the MAAC in three categories, all defensive in nature: opponent's hitting percentage (.145), blocks per game (2..46) and digs (18.80).
Woodward Honored: Karlee Woodward was name the MAAC Offensive Player of the Week on Nov. 12 after averaging 4.67 kills, 1.83 blocks and 5.75 points per game against Rider and Iona.
Against the Field: Loyola is 2-4 against the MAAC Championships field with two wins against Iona and two losses each to Fairfield and Iona. The Greyhounds lost in five at home to Fairfield after being swept on the road by the Stags. The Saints have beaten Loyola in three both times the teams have played this year.
# 1 - Brittany Born - Fr. - LIB/DS
Ellicott City, Md. - Archbishop Spalding
- Averaged 7.85 digs against Canisius (10/27) and Niagara (10/26).
- Posted 35 digs against Saint Peter's (10/14), a career-high.
- Recorded 30 digs in back-to back matches against Navy (10/2) and Manhattan (10/6).
- Named the MAAC Rookie-of-the-Week for 9/10-16 after her performances against Niagara and Canisius (9/16).
- Had with 33 digs at Niagara (9/15), the most by a Loyola player since Kimi Gabriel had 35 on 10/1/06 against Marist.
# 2 - Kimi Gabriel - So. - LIB/DS
Richmond, Calif. - Salesian
- Posted season-high 23 digs in 5-game win over Saint Peter's (10/14).
- Had match-high 19 digs in season-opener against Campbell (8/24).
- Recorded 18 digs versus Lafayette (8/31) and 15 at La Salle (9/1).
- Season-high 24 digs at Niagara (9/15). Previous season-high was 22 against Lafayette (8/31).
- Career-high 35 digs came against Marist (10/1/06).
# 4 - Maddie Fuller - Jr. - OH/RS
Dallas, Texas - Highland Park
- Had a season-high eight kills and seven digs against Lafayette (8/31). Also assisted on three blocks.
- Playing on the right side, she had six kills against Siena (9/22).
- Logged five kills against both Norfolk State and North Carolina State (both 8/25).
- Closed her sophomore season with three 13-plus kill performances in the tournament.
# 5 - Kristen Muscarella - So. - S
Garden City, N.Y. - Garden City
- Saw action at setter against Coppin State and had a career-high seven set assists.
- Played as a DS versus Siena (9/22) and had nine digs and a kill.
# 8 - Jordan Sickman - Fr. - MB/RS
Chandler, Ariz. - Corona del Sol
- Played in her first collegiate game against Coppin State (9/8) and recorded two kills in six attempts.
# 10 - Nicole Scimeme - So. - OH
Stony Brook, N.Y. - Ward Melville
- Had a kill and five digs against Manhattan (11/3).
- Finished the Hartford match (9/7) with two kills and three digs.
# 11 - Chrissey Cruz - So. - S
Harlingen, Texas - Harlingen South
- Set single-season school record in assists against Canisius (10/27).
- Had 57 assists and 18 digs against the Golden Griffins.
- Has posted 15 double-doubles in assists and digs this year.
- Dished out a season-high 63 assists against Marist (9/23).
- Had a career-high 20 digs against George Washington (9/18).
- Season-high eight kills at La Salle (9/1).
- Started all 36 matches last year, leading the team with 1,186 assists.
- Earned All-Tournament honors at the 2006 MAAC Championships.
# 12 - Karlee Woodward - So. - MB
Scottsdale, Ariz. - Chaparral
- Named MAAC Offensive Player of the Week on November 12 after wins against Rider (11/10) and Iona (11/11).
- Averaged 4.67 kills, 1.83 blocks and 5.75 points per game in the two matches.
- Registered a career-high .625 hitting percentage against Iona with 17 kills and only two errors. Had 11 kills versus Rider.
- Had eight blocks and 10 kills against Canisius (10/27).
- Recorded new career-high with 12 total blocks against Saint Peter's (10/14). Also had 14 kills.
- Hit. .458 with 12 kills against Rider (10/13).
- Tied career-high with 11 blocks, three solo, versus Navy (10/2).
- Hit .478 versus George Washington (9/18) and .457 against Siena (9/22).
- Her 19 kills against Siena were the most by a Loyola player in 2007 and a career-high for a 3-game match.
- Earned All-Tournament Honors at the Crusader Classic.
- Ten or more kills in 15 of the last 20 matches.
- Hit above .500 in back-to-back matches, Hartford (9/7) and Holy Cross (9/8).
# 13 - Christina Greenup - Jr. - OH
Malibu, Calif. - Louisville
- Logged 13 kills with only one error, hitting .333, at Saint Peter's (11/4).
- Recorded a season-high 18 kills at Manhattan (11/3).
- Had 17 kills without an error, hitting .405, against Canisius (10/27).
- Has 75 kills, an average of 3.41 per game, in the last six matches (since 10/13).
- Led team with season-high 19 kills against Saint Peter's (10/14).
- Returned to the Loyola lineup as a starting outside hitter on 9/8, and Loyola is 14-5 since her return.
- Had 14 kills and tied her season-high with four blocks at Iona (9/30).
- Had 10 kills and a season-high 12 digs at Niagara (9/15).
- Recorded a season-high 17 kills against Marist (9/23).
- Was in on four total blocks against both Siena (9/22) and Marist.
# 14 - Rachel Schillinger - Jr. - MB
Wexford, Pa. - North Allegheny
- Recorded 14 kills with only one error for a .382 hitting percentage at home against Canisius (10/27). Also had five blocks in the match.
- Hit a team-high .429 with 10 kills at Marist (10/21).
- Recorded team-high 15 kills against Rider (10/13) and 14 versus Saint Peter's (10/14).
- Hit .545, a season-best, with 12 kills and zero errors in 22 swings at Iona (9/30). Also had six block assists.
- Put away a season-high seven blocks, all assists, at Niagara (9/16) to go with 12 kills.
- Named to the All-Tournament Team at the La Salle Invitational after finishing with a .320 hitting mark. Had 40 kills and only 8 errors.
- Season-high 16 kills against Lafayette (8/31).
- Finished the La Salle match with 12 kills and only one error (9/1).
#16 - Samantha Greenbaum - Jr. - DS
Maple Glen, Pa. - Upper Dublin
- Saw action in three matches, six games, at the North Carolina Central Tournament. Finished with two digs and a kill.
- Served the final two points and had a set assist at Marist (10/21).
# 18 - Nina Camaioni - Fr. - OH
Williamstown, N.J. - Williamstown
- Named MAAC Rookie of the Week for the fourth time on 10/29 after averaging 4.57 kills, 5.29 digs and 1.29 blocks per game against Canisius (10/27) and Niagara (10/28).
- Registered 17 kills against Niagara. Matched career-high six total blocks versus Canisius.
- Had eight kills in the final game and 17 overall kills at Marist (10/21).
- Earned MAAC Rookie of the Week honors for the second-straight week, and third overall on 10/8.
- Posted 14 kills and 30 digs against Fairfield (10/7).
- Tied career-high with 19 kills against Saint Peter's (10/14).
- Set Loyola single-match record with 36 digs against Marist (9/23)- Also had 18 kills against the Red Foxes.
- Improved her career-high to 19 kills at Iona (9/30). Also had 17 digs.
- Earned All-Tournament honors at the Crusader Classic, finishing with 2.91 kills per game and a .185 hitting mark.
- Had 17 kills against Towson (9/4). Also had 17 digs against the Tigers.
- Registered 17 kills against both Saint Peter's and La Salle (both 9/1).
23 - Joanne Schurtz - So. - OH
Fanwood, N.J. - Union Catholic
- Saw the first extended playing time of her collegiate career at the season-opening tournament. Started two, and appeared in all four, of the matches.
- Had seven kills against Campbell (8/24).
- Set career-high with eight kills at La Salle (9/1).
- Registered seven digs against South Carolina State (8/25) and five versus Campbell.
# 25 - Kelly Nevin - So. - RS/MB
Hampstead, Md. - Mount de Sales Academy
- Hit .429 with three kills and zero errors in seven attempts against South Carolina State (8/25).
- Also had a set assist and a block assist against the Bulldogs.
# 38 - Anastasia Collins - So. - OPP
Jeffersonville, Pa. - Villa Maria Academy
- Posted 11 kills, seven digs, six block assists and five assists versus Iona (11/11).
- Big part of Loyola's block. Is the leading non-middle blocker on the team.
- Led the team with 16 kills and also had 16 digs against Fairfield (10/7).
- Notched career-high with five total blocks against Holy Cross (9/8).
- Had double-doubles against both Niagara (9/15) and Canisius (9/16) with 11 kills and 15 digs and 10 kills and 13 digs, respectively.
- Second on the team with 39 kills (2.60 per game) at the North Carolina Central Tournament.
- Tallied 14 kills and a .323 hitting percentage in the first match against Campbell (8/24). Also had five aces and was in on three blocks versus the Camels.
- Went for 14 kills and 13 digs, the first double-double of her collegiate career, against North Carolina State (8/25).