Oct. 24, 2007
Next Up: Loyola returns to Reitz Arena for two Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference matches this weekend when it hosts Canisius and Niagara. The Greyhounds play the Golden Griffins on Saturday, October 27 and the Purple Eagles on Sunday, October 28. Both matches begin at 2 p.m. in Reitz Arena.
The First Time: Loyola played both Niagara and Canisius in their gyms earlier this year, defeating the Purple Eagles in five and the Golden Griffins in four. Rachel Schillinger posted seven total blocks against Niagara, while Brittany Born had 33 digs.
Double Trouble: Nina Camaioni has recorded more than 10 kills and digs in 18 of Loyola's 27 matches this season. In those contests, the Greyhounds have a 13-5 record.
Going Up: The Greyhounds are 11-4 in the their last 15 matches, and by no coincidence, the numbers of setter Chrissey Cruz have gone up during that time period. She has raised her assists per game mark to 11.06 for the season by recording 672 assists, an average of 12.0 per game in the last 15 matches.
Sideout Success Story: The Greyhounds' success against Marist could be directly linked to their sideout ability. In the first game against the Red Foxes, Loyola was able to score a point for sideout on 43-percent of the time, while Marist registered a 61-percent sideout mark. In the second, third and fourth games, however, Loyola managed to sideout 59-percent of the time, while holding Marist well under 50-percent.
MAAC Rankings: Loyola players are ranked in several individual statistical categories in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference. Karlee Woodward and Rachel Schillinger are fifth and eighth in hitting percentage, and Nina Camaioni is eighth in kills per game. Chrissey Cruz is second in assists per game, while Brittany Born is third in digs. Woodward is second in blocks per game, while Camaioni is 10th in digs.
The Golden Griffins: Canisius enters the weekend with an 8-15 overall record, 6-6 in the MAAC. The Golden Griffins split two matches last weekend, winning a five-game match against Iona before losing in three to Fairfield. Jess Stackhouse was named the MAAC Defensive Player of the Week for the second time in a row after averaging 6.12 digs per game in the matches against Iona and Fairfield. Michella Domo leads the team with a 2.95 kills and 1.06 blocks per game average.
The Purple Eagles: Niagara, which plays at Rider on Saturday, starts the weekend with a 5-16 overall record and 3-9 mark in league play. The Purple Eagles lost in three to Iona and four to Fairfield last weekend. Raelean Rush leads the team with a 3.77 kills per game average, and Lauren Costello tops the team, and the MAAC, with a 1.34 blocks per game mark.
# 1 - Brittany Born - Fr. - LIB/DS
Ellicott City, Md. - Archbishop Spalding
- Posted 35 digs against Saint Peter's (10/14), a career-high.
- Recorded 30 digs in back-to back matches against Navy (10/2) and Manhattan (10/6).
- Named the MAAC Rookie-of-the-Week for 9/10-16 after her performances against Niagara and Canisius (9/16).
- Had with 33 digs at Niagara (9/15), the most by a Loyola player since Kimi Gabriel had 35 on 10/1/06 against Marist.
# 2 - Kimi Gabriel - So. - LIB/DS
Richmond, Calif. - Salesian
- Posted season-high 23 digs in 5-game win over Saint Peter's (10/14).
- Had match-high 19 digs in season-opener against Campbell (8/24).
- Recorded 18 digs versus Lafayette (8/31) and 15 at La Salle (9/1).
- Season-high 24 digs at Niagara (9/15). Previous season-high was 22 against Lafayette (8/31).
- Career-high 35 digs came against Marist (10/1/06).
# 4 - Maddie Fuller - Jr. - OH/RS
Dallas, Texas - Highland Park
- Had a season-high eight kills and seven digs against Lafayette (8/31). Also assisted on three blocks.
- Playing on the right side, she had six kills against Siena (9/22).
- Logged five kills against both Norfolk State and North Carolina State (both 8/25).
- Closed her sophomore season with three 13-plus kill performances in the tournament.
# 5 - Kristen Muscarella - So. - S
Garden City, N.Y. - Garden City
- Saw action at setter against Coppin State and had a career-high seven set assists.
- Played as a DS versus Siena (9/22) and had nine digs and a kill.
# 8 - Jordan Sickman - Fr. - MB/RS
Chandler, Ariz. - Corona del Sol
- Played in her first collegiate game against Coppin State (9/8) and recorded two kills in six attempts.
# 10 - Nicole Scimeme - So. - OH
Stony Brook, N.Y. - Ward Melville
- Finished the Hartford match (9/7) with two kills and three digs.
- Saw first action of the season at the La Salle Tournament.
# 11 - Chrissey Cruz - So. - S
Harlingen, Texas - Harlingen South
- Starting setter for the Greyhounds.
- Has posted 12 double-doubles in assists and digs this year.
- Dished out a season-high 63 assists against Marist (9/23).
- Had a career-high 20 digs against George Washington (9/18).
- Averaging 10.75 assists per game with 828 in 77 games.
- Season-high eight kills at La Salle (9/1).
- Started all 36 matches last year, leading the team with 1,186 assists.
- Earned All-Tournament honors at the 2006 MAAC Championships.
# 12 - Karlee Woodward - So. - MB
Scottsdale, Ariz. - Chaparral
- Recorded new career-high with 12 total blocks against Saint Peter's (10/14). Also had 14 kills.
- Hit. .458 with 12 kills against Rider (10/13).
- Tied career-high with 11 blocks, three solo, versus Navy (10/2).
- Hit .478 versus George Washington (9/18) and .457 against Siena (9/22).
- Her 19 kills against Siena were the most by a Loyola player in 2007 and a career-high for a 3-game match.
- Earned All-Tournament Honors at the Crusader Classic.
- Ten or more kills in 15 of the last 20 matches.
- Hit above .500 in back-to-back matches, Hartford (9/7) and Holy Cross (9/8).
# 13 - Christina Greenup - Jr. - OH
Malibu, Calif. - Louisville
- Led team with season-high 19 kills against Saint Peter's (10/14).
- Returned to the Loyola lineup as a starting outside hitter on 9/8, and Loyola is 14-5 since her return.
- Had 14 kills and tied her season-high with four blocks at Iona (9/30).
- Had 10 kills and a season-high 12 digs at Niagara (9/15).
- Recorded a season-high 17 kills against Marist (9/23).
- Was in on four total blocks against both Siena (9/22) and Marist.
# 14 - Rachel Schillinger - Jr. - MB
Wexford, Pa. - North Allegheny
- Hit a team-high .429 with 10 kills at Marist (10/21).
- Recorded team-high 15 kills against Rider (10/13) and 14 versus Saint Peter's (10/14).
- Hit .545, a season-best, with 12 kills and zero errors in 22 swings at Iona (9/30). Also had six block assists.
- Put away a season-high seven blocks, all assists, at Niagara (9/16) to go with 12 kills.
- Named to the All-Tournament Team at the La Salle Invitational after finishing with a .320 hitting mark. Had 40 kills and only 8 errors.
- Season-high 16 kills against Lafayette (8/31).
- Finished the La Salle match with 12 kills and only one error (9/1).
#16 - Samantha Greenbaum - Jr. - DS
Maple Glen, Pa. - Upper Dublin
- Saw action in three matches, six games, at the North Carolina Central Tournament. Finished with two digs and a kill.
- Served the final two points and had a set assist at Marist (10/21).
# 18 - Nina Camaioni - Fr. - OH
Williamstown, N.J. - Williamstown
- Had eight kills in the final game and 17 overall kills at Marist (10/21).
- Earned MAAC Rookie of the Week honors for the second-straight week, and third overall on 10/8.
- Posted 14 kills and 30 digs against Fairfield (10/7).
- Tied career-high with 19 kills against Saint Peter's (10/14).
- Set Loyola single-match record with 36 digs against Marist (9/23).
- Also had 18 kills against the Red Foxes.
- Improved her career-high to 19 kills at Iona (9/30). Also had 17 digs.
- Earned All-Tournament honors at the Crusader Classic, finishing with 2.91 kills per game and a .185 hitting mark.
- Had 17 kills against Towson (9/4). Also had 17 digs against the Tigers.
- Registered 17 kills against both Saint Peter's and La Salle (both 9/1).
23 - Joanne Schurtz - So. - OH
Fanwood, N.J. - Union Catholic
- Saw the first extended playing time of her collegiate career at the season-opening tournament. Started two, and appeared in all four, of the matches.
- Had seven kills against Campbell (8/24).
- Set career-high with eight kills at La Salle (9/1).
- Registered seven digs against South Carolina State (8/25) and five versus Campbell.
# 25 - Kelly Nevin - So. - RS/MB
Hampstead, Md. - Mount de Sales Academy
- Hit .429 with three kills and zero errors in seven attempts against South Carolina State (8/25).
- Also had a set assist and a block assist against the Bulldogs.
# 38 - Anastasia Collins - So. - OH
Jeffersonville, Pa. - Villa Maria Academy
- Led the team with 16 kills and also had 16 digs against Fairfield (10/7).
- Notched career-high with five total blocks against Holy Cross (9/8).
- Had double-doubles against both Niagara (9/15) and Canisius (9/16) with 11 kills and 15 digs and 10 kills and 13 digs, respectively.
- Second on the team with 39 kills (2.60 per game) at the North Carolina Central Tournament.
- Tallied 14 kills and a .323 hitting percentage in the first match against Campbell (8/24). Also had five aces and was in on three blocks versus the Camels.
- Went for 14 kills and 13 digs, the first double-double of her collegiate career, against North Carolina State (8/25).