Oct. 23, 2013
|Date||Friday, October 25, 2013|
|Location||Baltimore, Md. | Reitz Arena|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Patriot League Network (Free Video)|
Friday Night Match
- Loyola University Maryland volleyball returns to action after a nine-day layoff to face American University on Friday, October 25, at 7 o’clock in Reitz Arena.
- The game will be broadcast on the Patriot League Network at LoyolaGreyhounds.com/pln. Video is free of charge and available on computers and most mobile devices.
Maloney Just Misses Record
- Mindy Maloney had a career game on Wednesday, October 16, against the U.S. Naval Academy. The junior middle blocker recorded 13 kills in just 16 attempts for a hitting percentage of .812.
- Her 13 kills tied her career-high from a year ago when she registered the same total at Niagara University in a four-set match.
- Maloney’s .812 hitting percentage was just shy of the school single-match record of .854 set in 1992 by Kim Colavito against East Carolina University. Maloney’s mark is the best by a Loyola player since at least 2001.
Success In The Second
- Loyola dropped both of its road Patriot League matches in four sets on October 11 and 12, falling on the road at Bucknell University and Colgate University.
- The Greyhounds, however had considerable success in the second sets of both matches, winning each.
- Loyola hit .433 in the second frame against Bucknell, putting down 16 kills with three errors in just 30 swings. Loyola also posted 13 digs while holding the Bison to just eight kills en route to a 25-16 set victory.
- In the match at Colgate, the Greyhounds posted just 11 kills while hitting .200 in the second set, but Loyola’s serving and defense carried them to a 25-14 set win. The Greyhounds posted five aces, 14 digs and a pair of blocks in that set versus the Red Raiders.
Against the League
- In Loyola’s eight Patriot League matches this season, the Greyhounds have continued to show a large statistical improvement over their play in non-conference matches earlier this year.
- The Greyhounds have hit at a .212 pace, nearly an 80 point improvement of their .142 mark during non-conference action, while they are holding opponents to a .223 clip, slightly down from .225 before Patriot League play started.
- Meanwhile, Loyola is averaging 11.94 kills per set, up from 10.64, and its blocks per set have risen from 1.60 to 1.69.
- The player who has shown the biggest offensive improvement is middle blocker Jac Bullock. She has posted 96 kills in conference play, 3.10 per match, as opposed to 2.64 against non-league opponents.