Oct. 17, 2007
Next Up: Loyola hits the road for the first time in over two weeks, as the Greyhounds travel to the State of New York for matches at Siena and Marist. Loyola is in its second trip around the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference, having played each team at least one time this season. The Greyhounds face Siena on Saturday, October 20, at 2 p.m., and Marist on Sunday, October 21, at 2 p.m.
Hitting High Numbers: Four Loyola hitters averaged more than three kills per game in the Greyhounds' two wins last week. Rachel Schillinger and Nina Camaioni each posted 29 kills, an average of 3.62 per game, while Christina Greenup and Karlee Woodward had 28 and 26, respectively, an average of 3.5 and 3.25 per game. Setter Chrissey Cruz posted 108 assists, an average of 13.50 per game, in the two matches.
Increased Production: Through 25 matches this year, Loyola's volleyball team has put up significantly better numbers than it did a year ago. The Greyhounds have posted higher averages in kills, assists, aces, digs and blocks per game. Their totals in kills (13.81), assists (12.66) and digs (18.68) are more than two per game higher than in 2006.
Career Numbers: Two Loyola players posted career-high numbers in the match against Saint Peter's. Karlee Woodward finished with a career-high 12 total blocks, while Brittany Born notched 35 digs, also a career-best. Nina Camaioni tied her career-high with 19 kills in the match, and Christina Greenup set a season-high with 19 kills, as well.
On the Defensive: Loyola has averaged over 19 digs per game in its last six matches and averages 18.68 digs per game this season. Five players average more than 2.4 digs per game, led by Brittany Born's 5.15 mark as the team's libero.
The Saints: Siena enters the week with a 15-3 overall record, 10-0 in MAAC play. The Saints have not lost since August 31 and are riding a 14-match winning streak. Siena defeated Loyola in three games, 30-27, 30-23, 36-34, the first time the schools played this season. Nadiege Honore leads the squad with 4.19 kills per game, while Burgandy McCurty posts 4.0 kills and 1.17 blocks per game. April London tops the Saints with a 12.69 assists per game mark. Siena plays Rider on Friday evening prior to taking on the Greyhounds
The Red Foxes: Marist begins the week with an 8-14 overall record, 4-6 in the MAAC. The Red Foxes, who host Saint Peter's on Saturday, split their two matches last weekend, a 3-0 loss at Fairfield before winning a 3-2 decision at Rider. The Greyhounds rallied from a 2-games-to-1 deficit on September 23 to beat the Red Foxes in five. Alexandra Schultze tops the team with a 4.16 kills per game average. Emily Brosky paces the squad with a 3.57 digs per game mark.
# 1 - Brittany Born - Fr. - LIB/DS
Ellicott City, Md. - Archbishop Spalding
- Posted 35 digs against Saint Peter's (10/14), a career-high.
- Recorded 30 digs in back-to back matches against Navy (10/2) and Manhattan (10/6).
- Named the MAAC Rookie-of-the-Week for 9/10-16 after her performances against Niagara and Canisius (9/16).
- Had with 33 digs at Niagara (9/15), the most by a Loyola player since Kimi Gabriel had 35 on 10/1/06 against Marist.
# 2 - Kimi Gabriel - So. - LIB/DS
Richmond, Calif. - Salesian
- Posted season-high 23 digs in 5-game win over Saint Peter's (10/14).
- Had match-high 19 digs in season-opener against Campbell (8/24).
- Recorded 18 digs versus Lafayette (8/31) and 15 at La Salle (9/1).
- Season-high 24 digs at Niagara (9/15). Previous season-high was 22 against Lafayette (8/31).
- Career-high 35 digs came against Marist (10/1/06).
# 4 - Maddie Fuller - Jr. - OH/RS
Dallas, Texas - Highland Park
- Had a season-high eight kills and seven digs against Lafayette (8/31). Also assisted on three blocks.
- Playing on the right side, she had six kills against Siena (9/22)- Logged five kills against both Norfolk State and North Carolina State (both 8/25).
- Closed her sophomore season with three 13-plus kill performances in the tournament.
# 5 - Kristen Muscarella - So. - S
Garden City, N.Y. - Garden City
- Saw action at setter against Coppin State and had a career-high seven set assists.
- Played as a DS versus Siena (9/22) and had nine digs and a kill.
# 8 - Jordan Sickman - Fr. - MB/RS
Chandler, Ariz. - Corona del Sol
- Played in her first collegiate game against Coppin State (9/8) and recorded two kills in six attempts.
# 10 - Nicole Scimeme - So. - OH
Stony Brook, N.Y. - Ward Melville
- Finished the Hartford match (9/7) with two kills and three digs.
- Saw first action of the season at the La Salle Tournament.
# 11 - Chrissey Cruz - So. - S
Harlingen, Texas - Harlingen South
- Starting setter for the Greyhounds.- Has posted 12 double-doubles in assists and digs this year.
- Dished out a season-high 63 assists against Marist (9/23).
- Had a career-high 20 digs against George Washington (9/18).
- Averaging 10.75 assists per game with 828 in 77 games.
- Season-high eight kills at La Salle (9/1).
- Started all 36 matches last year, leading the team with 1,186 assists.
- Earned All-Tournament honors at the 2006 MAAC Championships.
# 12 - Karlee Woodward - So. - MB
Scottsdale, Ariz. - Chaparral
- Recorded new career-high with 12 total blocks against Saint Peter's (10/14). Also had 14 kills.
- Hit. .458 with 12 kills against Rider (10/13).
- Tied career-high with 11 blocks, three solo, versus Navy (10/2).
- Hit .478 versus George Washington (9/18) and .457 against Siena (9/22).
- Her 19 kills against Siena were the most by a Loyola player in 2007 and a career-high for a 3-game match.
- Earned All-Tournament Honors at the Crusader Classic.
- Ten or more kills in 15 of the last 20 matches.
- Hit above .500 in back-to-back matches, Hartford (9/7) and Holy Cross (9/8).
# 13 - Christina Greenup - Jr. - OH
Malibu, Calif. - Louisville
- Led team with season-high 19 kills against Saint Peter's (10/14).
- Returned to the Loyola lineup as a starting outside hitter on 9/8, and Loyola is 14-5 since her return.
- Had 14 kills and tied her season-high with four blocks at Iona (9/30).
- Had 10 kills and a season-high 12 digs at Niagara (9/15).
- Recorded a season-high 17 kills against Marist (9/23).
- Was in on four total blocks against both Siena (9/22) and Marist.
# 14 - Rachel Schillinger - Jr. - MB
Wexford, Pa. - North Allegheny
- Recorded team-high 15 kills against Rider (10/13) and 14 versus Saint Peter's (10/14).
- Hit .545, a season-best, with 12 kills and zero errors in 22 swings at Iona (9/30). Also had six block assists.
- Put away a season-high seven blocks, all assists, at Niagara (9/16) to go with 12 kills.
- Had 12 kills and six block assists versus Holy Cross (9/8).
- Named to the All-Tournament Team at the La Salle Invitational after finishing with a .320 hitting mark. Had 40 kills and only 8 errors.
- Season-high 16 kills against Lafayette (8/31).
- Finished the La Salle match with 12 kills and only one error (9/1).
#16 - Samantha Greenbaum - Jr. - DS
Maple Glen, Pa. - Upper Dublin
- Saw action in three matches, six games, at the North Carolina Central Tournament. Finished with two digs and a kill.
# 18 - Nina Camaioni - Fr. - OH
Williamstown, N.J. - Williamstown
- Earned MAAC Rookie of the Week honors for the second-straight week, and third overall on 10/8.
- Posted 14 kills and 30 digs against Fairfield (10/7).
- Tied career-high with 19 kills against Saint Peter's (10/14).
- Set Loyola single-match record with 36 digs against Marist (9/23)- Also had 18 kills against the Red Foxes.
- Improved her career-high to 19 kills at Iona (9/30). Also had 17 digs.
- Earned All-Tournament honors at the Crusader Classic, finishing with 2.91 kills per game and a .185 hitting mark.
- Had 17 kills against Towson (9/4) to tie her then-career high. Also had 17 digs against the Tigers.
- Registered 17 kills against both Saint Peter's and La Salle (both 9/1).
23 - Joanne Schurtz - So. - OH
Fanwood, N.J. - Union Catholic
- Saw the first extended playing time of her collegiate career at the season-opening tournament. Started two, and appeared in all four, of the matches.
- Had seven kills against Campbell (8/24).
- Set career-high with eight kills at La Salle (9/1).
- Registered seven digs against South Carolina State (8/25) and five versus Campbell.
# 25 - Kelly Nevin - So. - RS/MB
Hampstead, Md. - Mount de Sales Academy
- Hit .429 with three kills and zero errors in seven attempts against South Carolina State (8/25).
- Also had a set assist and a block assist against the Bulldogs.
# 38 - Anastasia Collins - So. - OH
Jeffersonville, Pa. - Villa Maria Academy
- Led the team with 16 kills and also had 16 digs against Fairfield (10/7).
- Notched career-high with five total blocks against Holy Cross (9/8).
- Had double-doubles against both Niagara (9/15) and Canisius (9/16) with 11 kills and 15 digs and 10 kills and 13 digs, respectively.
- Second on the team with 39 kills (2.60 per game) at the North Carolina Central Tournament.
- Tallied 14 kills and a .323 hitting percentage in the first match against Campbell (8/24). Also had five aces and was in on three blocks versus the Camels.
- Went for 14 kills and 13 digs, the first double-double of her collegiate career, against North Carolina State (8/25).