Oct. 11, 2011
|Opponent||Niagara Purple Eagles|
|Date||Saturday, October 15, 2011|
|Location||Niagara University, N.Y. | Gallagher Center|
|Online Media||Live Stats|
|Match Notes||Weekly Notes|
|Opponent||Canisius Golden Griffins|
|Date||Sunday, October 16, 2011|
|Location||Buffalo, N.Y. | Koessler Athletic Center|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video|
|Match Notes||Weekly Notes|
This Week’s Action
- The eighth week of competition during the 2011 volleyball season takes Loyola University Maryland to Western New York for a pair of Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference matches.
- The Greyhounds will face Niagara, the two-time defending MAAC Champion, on Saturday, October 15, at 2 o’clock, and then 24 hours later, they will play at Canisius.
Eagles And Griffins
- Niagara enters Saturday’s match with an undefeated mark, 7-0, in conference play after going 6-7 in non-conference action this season. Canisius is 7-11 overall and 2-5 in MAAC action entering this weekend. The Golden Griffins host Rider on Saturday.
- Loyola posted a season-high 76 digs in last Saturday’s victory over Rider despite the fact the match was over in three sets. The Greyhounds’ previous high of 73 came in a five-set affair with Siena.
- The Broncs had 144 attack attempts in the match, but they hit just .153 thanks to Loyola’s solid defense.
- Janet Pressler posted 23 digs, while Tina Catanach added 13, and Casey O’Hanlon had 10.
Leading As Libero
- Janet Pressler continued her solid play as the team’s libero, totaling 23 digs against Rider. She has posted 10 or more digs in 12 of 14 matches that she has served as the libero (beginning August 27 against Tennessee State), and the only two matches she did not reach double-figures, she posted nine in three-set contests.
- She has 235 digs this season, an average of 3.85, and she has led the squad in digs in all but two of the matches she has served as libero. During MAAC play, Pressler has averaged 4.43 digs per set, a mark that ranks fourth in the league.
Distributing The Sets
- Lauren Andersen posted 38 assists in the win at Rider, a three-set season-high for the freshman. Six different Loyola hitters had kills, and the Greyhounds hit .204 as a team.
- Andersen has averaged 9.29 assists per set in MAAC play, up from her season-long average of 8.76 per set.
- The Canisius match will be Loyola’s fifth-straight on the road, but the Greyhounds will return to Retiz Arena on Wednesday, October 12, for a rare midweek MAAC match against Manhattan. The contest against the Jaspers is the first in a series of 7-of-9 home matches to close the regular season for Loyola.
- The team’s top returning hitter from 2010, Katie Dircks, missed the first 16 matches of the season with an injury, and returned to the court on September 28 against George Washington.
- Playing only in the back row during her 2011 debut, she had 10 digs. In her second match of the year, Dircks posted five kills and six digs at Fairfield, and she then tallied eight digs at Iona.
Two Topping .400
- Loyola had two players top .400 hitting percentage in the same match for the first time this year against Saint Peter’s. Tina Catanach topped out with a season-best .419, notching 15 kills with just two errors in 31 attempts, and Lauren Arnold recorded 13 in 25 swings with three errors for an even .400.
- Catanach and Arnold’s hitting percentages are the third- and fourth-best by Loyola players, and the top marks by Greyhounds’ outside hitters, this year. Jac Bullock posted marks of .459 and .441 in consecutive matches last weekend against Marist and Siena, respectively.
- Loyola opened MAAC action with a victory for the first time since 2007 when it defeated Siena in five. The Greyhounds had lost their last three league-opening matches before Saturday’s win. The 2007 season was one of the best in recent history for Loyola, as the Greyhounds finished 22-12, 13-5 in the MAAC, and advanced to the MAAC Semifinals.