Oct. 9, 2007
Next Up: Loyola continues its five-match homestand with two Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference matches this weekend. The Greyhounds, who finished non-conference play last week, host Rider on Saturday and Saint Peter's, Sunday. Both matches begin at 2 p.m. in Reitz Arena.
Non-Conference Numbers: The Greyhounds wrapped-up their regular-season non-conference schedule last Tuesday with a 3-0 defeat of Navy. Loyola finished 9-6 overall in non-conference action, 3-1 in Reitz Arena. The victory over the Midshipmen was the first for Loyola since 1998, and its three-game win against George Washington on September 18 was the first in program history.
Defensive Minded: In three matches last week, Loyola posted 263 digs, an average of 23.91 per game, more than five digs more per game than its average of 18.28 per game in 2007. The Greyhounds posted 111 digs in a five-game match against Fairfield on Sunday, their most in a single match this season. They also had 87 against Manhattan and 65 versus Navy. The 87 against the Jaspers were the most in a three-game match this year. Brittany Born had 30 digs against both Navy and Manhattan, while Nina Camaioni posted 30 versus the Stags.
Big Block: One reason for Loyola's high dig numbers was because of an solid blocking game. The Greyhounds put down 35 blocks for points and put good touches on many others. Karlee Woodward averaged 1.91 blocks per game with 21 total last week. Rachel Schillinger averaged 1.09 a game and had 12 total. Woodward matched her career-high with 11 total blocks against the Midshipmen, while the team set a season-high with 17.
Commending Camaioni: Freshman outside hitter Nina Camaioni picked up her second-straight MAAC Rookie of the Week award after averaging 3.64 kills and 5.00 digs per game last week. Camaioni posted 30 digs for the second time this season against Fairfield and led the Greyhounds in kills in two of the three matches. The award was the third of the season for Camaioni.
The Broncs: Rider enters Saturday's match with a 1-16 overall record, 0-8 in the MAAC. The Broncs have pushed their last two matches to five games before being edged at the end by Saint Peter's and Iona. Katelyn Thompson leads Rider with a 2.75 kills per game mark, while Lacey Johnson, who had a team-high 19 against Iona, averaged 2.20.
The Peahens: Saint Peter's, which plays Fairleigh Dickinson and Siena prior to traveling to Reitz Arena, enters the week with a 9-16 record, 3-6 in the MAAC. The Peahens are on a three-game winning streak after defeating Chicago State, Quinnipiac and Sacred Heart last weekend. Loyola defeated the Peahens, 30-27, 22-30, 30-23, 30-25, on September 1 in a non-conference match at the La Salle Invitational. Kim Mendoza leads Saint Peter's with 2.64 kills per game.
# 1 - Brittany Born - Fr. - LIB/DS
Ellicott City, Md. - Archbishop Spalding
- Recorded 30 digs in back-to back matches against Navy (10/2) and Manhattan (10/6).
- Named the MAAC Rookie-of-the-Week for 9/10-16 after her performances against Niagara and Canisius (9/16).
- Set a career-high with 33 digs at Niagara (9/15), the most by a Loyola player since Kimi Gabriel had 35 on 10/1/06 against Marist.
- Previous season-high was 27 digs against both La Salle (9/1) and Towson (9/4).
# 2 - Kimi Gabriel - So. - LIB/DS
Richmond, Calif. - Salesian
- Had match-high 19 digs in season-opener against Campbell (8/24).
- Led the team with 16 digs against Hartford (9/7).
- Recorded 18 digs versus Lafayette (8/31) and 15 at La Salle (9/1).
- Season-high 24 digs at Niagara (9/15). Previous season-high was 22 against Lafayette (8/31).
- Career-high 35 digs came against Marist (10/1/06).
# 4 - Maddie Fuller - Jr. - OH/RS
Dallas, Texas - Highland Park
- Had a season-high eight kills and seven digs against Lafayette (8/31). Also assisted on three blocks.
- Playing on the right side, she had six kills against Siena (9/22).
- Logged five kills against both Norfolk State and North Carolina State (both 8/25).
- Closed her sophomore season with three 13-plus kill performances in the tournament.
# 5 - Kristen Muscarella - So. - S
Garden City, N.Y. - Garden City
- Saw action at setter against Coppin State and had a career-high seven set assists.
- Played as a DS versus Siena (9/22) and had nine digs and a kill.
# 8 - Jordan Sickman - Fr. - MB/RS
Chandler, Ariz. - Corona del Sol
- Played in her first collegiate game against Coppin State (9/8) and recorded two kills in six attempts.
# 10 - Nicole Scimeme - So. - OH
Stony Brook, N.Y. - Ward Melville
- Finished the Hartford match (9/7) with two kills and three digs.
- Saw first action of the season at the La Salle Tournament.
# 11 - Chrissey Cruz - So. - S
Harlingen, Texas - Harlingen South
- Starting setter for the Greyhounds.
- Has posted 11 double-doubles in assists and digs this year
- Dished out a season-high 63 assists against Marist (9/23).- Had a career-high 20 digs against George Washington (9/18).
- Averaging 10.75 assists per game with 828 in 77 games.
- Season-high eight kills at La Salle (9/1).
- Started all 36 matches last year, leading the team with 1,186 assists.
- Earned All-Tournament honors at the 2006 MAAC Championships.
# 12 - Karlee Woodward - So. - MB
Scottsdale, Ariz. - Chaparral
- Tied career-high with 11 blocks, three solo, versus Navy (10/2).
- Eight blocks at Iona (9/30).
- Hit .478 versus George Washington (9/18) and .457 against Siena (9/22).
- Her 19 kills against Siena were the most by a Loyola player in 2007 and a career-high for a 3-game match.
- Earned All-Tournament Honors at the Crusader Classic.
- Hit. 411 in three matches with 36 kills and only eight errors in 68 attempts at the tournament.
- Ten or more kills in 12 of the last 15 matches.
- Hit above .500 in back-to-back matches, Hartford (9/7) and Holy Cross (9/8).
# 13 - Christina Greenup - Jr. - OH
Malibu, Calif. - Louisville
- Returned to the Loyola lineup as a starting outside hitter on 9/8, and Loyola is 8-2 since her return.
- Had 14 kills and tied her season-high with four blocks at Iona (9/30).
- Had 13 kills in her first match back (at Holy Cross, 9/8).
- Had 10 kills and a season-high 12 digs at Niagara (9/15).
- Recorded a season-high 17 kills against Marist (9/23).
- Was in on four total blocks against both Siena (9/22) and Marist.
# 14 - Rachel Schillinger - Jr. - MB
Wexford, Pa. - North Allegheny
- Hit .545, a season-best, with 12 kills and zero errors in 22 swings at Iona (9/30). Also had six block assists.
- Put away a season-high seven blocks, all assists, at Niagara (9/16) to go with 12 kills.
- Had 12 kills and six block assists versus Holy Cross (9/8).
- Named to the All-Tournament Team at the La Salle Invitational after finishing with a .320 hitting mark. Had 40 kills and only 8 errors.
- Season-high 16 kills against Lafayette (8/31).
- Finished the La Salle match with 12 kills and only one error (9/1).
- Put away nine kills against both Fairfield (10/7) and Navy (10/2).
#16 - Samantha Greenbaum - Jr. - DS
Maple Glen, Pa. - Upper Dublin
- Saw action in three matches, six games, at the North Carolina Central Tournament. Finished with two digs and a kill.
# 18 - Nina Camaioni - Fr. - OH
Williamstown, N.J. - Williamstown
- Earned MAAC Rookie of the Week honors for the second-straight week, and third overall on 10/8.
- Posted 14 kills and 30 digs against Fairfield (10/7).
- Set Loyola single-match record with 36 digs against Marist (9/23)- Also had 18 kills against the Red Foxes.
- Improved her career-high to 19 kills at Iona (9/30). Also had 17 digs.
- Earned All-Tournament honors at the Crusader Classic, finishing with 2.91 kills per game and a .185 hitting mark.
- Had 17 kills against Towson (9/4) to tie her then-career high. Also had 17 digs against the Tigers.
- Registered 17 kills against both Saint Peter's and La Salle (both 9/1).
23 - Joanne Schurtz - So. - OH
Fanwood, N.J. - Union Catholic
- Saw the first extended playing time of her collegiate career at the season-opening tournament. Started two, and appeared in all four, of the matches.
- Had seven kills against Campbell (8/24).
- Set career-high with eight kills at La Salle (9/1).
- Registered seven digs against South Carolina State (8/25) and five versus Campbell.
# 25 - Kelly Nevin - So. - RS/MB
Hampstead, Md. - Mount de Sales Academy
- Hit .429 with three kills and zero errors in seven attempts against South Carolina State (8/25).
- Also had a set assist and a block assist against the Bulldogs.
# 38 - Anastasia Collins - So. - OH
Jeffersonville, Pa. - Villa Maria Academy
- Led the team with 16 kills and also had 16 digs against Fairfield (10/7).
- Notched career-high with five total blocks against Holy Cross (9/8).
- Had double-doubles against both Niagara (9/15) and Canisius (9/16) with 11 kills and 15 digs and 10 kills and 13 digs, respectively.
- Second on the team with 39 kills (2.60 per game) at the North Carolina Central Tournament.
- Tallied 14 kills and a .323 hitting percentage in the first match against Campbell (8/24). Also had five aces and was in on three blocks versus the Camels.
- Went for 14 kills and 13 digs, the first double-double of her collegiate career, against North Carolina State (8/25).