Oct. 4, 2011
|Date||Saturday, October 8, 2011|
|Location||Lawrenceville, N.J. | Alumni Gymnasium|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video|
|Match Notes||Match Notes As A PDF|
This Week’s Action
- After playing a minimum of three matches of five of the last six weeks, the Loyola University Maryland volleyball team will enjoy a light weekend with just a single contest.
- The Greyhounds travel to Lawrenceville, N.J., for a Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference contest on Saturday, October 8, against Rider. First serve is set for 3 o’clock.
About The Broncs
- Rider lost a pair of MAAC matches last weekend at Iona (3-2) and Fairfield (3-1). They have two conference victories, both against Saint Peter’s, this year, as well as a non-conference win over the Peacocks in early-season tournament play.
Leading As Libero
- Janet Pressler has posted 10 or more digs in 11 of 13 matches that she has served as the team’s libero (beginning August 27 against Tennessee State), and the only two matches she did not reach double-figures, she posted nine in three-set contests.
- She has 212 digs this season, an average of 3.66, and she has led the squad in digs in all but two of the matches she has served as libero.
- The team’s top returning hitter from 2010, Katie Dircks, missed the first 16 matches of the season with an injury, and returned to the court on September 28 against George Washington.
- Playing only in the back row during her 2011 debut, she had 10 digs. In her second match of the year, Dircks posted five kills and six digs at Fairfield, and she then tallied eight digs at Iona.
Freshmen Do The Work
- The Greyhounds played a rotation with five freshmen in the second and third sets at Saint Peter’s, and the group responded well. Tina Catanach led all players with 15 kills and just two errors on 31 attempts, while Lauren Arnold put down 13 kills. She also had a match- and season-high 16 digs. Lauren Andersen directed the Greyhounds to their best hitting percentage of the season (.275), dishing out 32 assists.
- Lauren Arnold made the first start of her collegiate career and played the entire rotation against Saint Peter’s. In her previous appearances, she saw action mostly in the front row. Arnold responded Sunday with her best collegiate match, recording 13 kills, tying her season-high set in a five-set loss to TCU on September 9.
- Arnold also had a match-best and season-high 16 digs against the Peahens on Sunday. She hit an even .400, recording her 13 kills with just three errors in 25 attempts.
Two Topping .400
- Loyola had two players top .400 hitting percentage in the same match for the first time this year against Saint Peter’s. Tina Catanach topped out with a season-best .419, notching 15 kills with just two errors in 31 attempts, and Lauren Arnold recorded 13 in 25 swings with three errors for an even .400.
- Catanach and Arnold’s hitting percentages are the third- and fourth-best by Loyola players, and the top marks by Greyhounds’ outside hitters, this year. Jac Bullock posted marks of .459 and .441 in consecutive matches last weekend against Marist and Siena, respectively.
- Loyola opened MAAC action with a victory for the first time since 2007 when it defeated Siena in five. The Greyhounds had lost their last three league-opening matches before Saturday’s win. The 2007 season was one of the best in recent history for Loyola, as the Greyhounds finished 22-12, 13-5 in the MAAC, and advanced to the MAAC Semifinals.
Bullock Comes Up Big
- After earning All-Tournament honors for two consecutive weekends, Jac Bullock was outstanding again when the Greyhounds started MAAC action. In matches against Siena and Marist, she recorded back-to-back career-highs in kills, posting 18 against the Saints and 21 versus the Red Foxes. Bullock hit .451 (39-7-71) in the two matches and also chipped in with seven blocks and two aces.