Oct. 1, 2007
Next Up: The Greyhounds return to Reitz Arena for the start of a five-match homestand this week, beginning with a 7 p.m. contest on Tuesday, October 2, against Navy. Loyola then hosts a pair of Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference contests this weekend when it plays Manhattan on Saturday, October 6, at 2 p.m., and Fairfield on Sunday, October 7, at 2 p.m.
Putting Up the Block: Loyola set a season-high with 15 total blocks on Sunday against Iona, led by eight block assists from Karlee Woodward, the most by a Greyhounds player this year. Five Loyola players - Woodward, Rachel Schilllinger (6), Nina Camaioni (6), Anastasia Collins (5) and Christina Greenup (4) - each had four or more block assists in the match. Woodward leads the team this season with a 1.01 blocks per game average.
Everyone's Involved: Loyola's offense has been well balanced through the first 20 matches of the 2007 season. All five of the Greyhounds' main attackers are averaging at least 2.0 kills per game. As a team, Loyola is averaging 13.52 kills per game, up from 11.8 per game last season.
Getting Better With Time: Loyola's two freshmen that are seeing considerable playing time this year have seen a large improvement in their numbers as the season progresses. Nina Camaioni leads the team with a 3.40 kills per game average and has registered double digits in kills in 15 of the last 17 matches. She has also averaged 4.84 digs in the team's last seven matches. Since becoming team's libero, Brittany Born has improved her defensive statistics, as well. She leads the squad with a 4.68 digs per game average and has posted 15 or more digs in five of the last eight matches.
Missing Link?: Christina Greenup returned to the court on September 8 against Holy Cross and the Greyhounds are 8-2 since, compared to 4-6 in the matches without her. She is third on the team with a 2.47 kills per game average.
The Midshipmen: Navy enters Tuesday's match with an 11-6 overall mark, 1-2 in the Patriot League, and is coming off a 5-game loss to American on Friday. The Midshipmen pushed the Eagles to five for the first time in 13 regular-season meetings between the teams. Rachel Dougherty leads the Mids with a 4.05 kills per game average, while Jessie Sims is averaging 3.45 kills per game.
The Jaspers: Manhattan begins the week with a 3-13 overall record, 3-2 in MAAC play. The Jaspers play Sacred Heart on Wednesday prior to their match with the Greyhounds. Diane Struner averaged 3.15 kills per game, and Rita Welsh posts a 2.29 kills per game mark.
The Stags: Sunday's contest against Fairfield will be the second in eight days between the squads. The Stags took the first meeting in three games, 30-18, 30-17, 30-25, as Katie Mann and Kelly Oliver posted 18 and 16 kills, respectively for the Stags. Fairfield is currently 9-9 overall, 6-1 in the MAAC with a home match against Saint Peter's on Saturday.
# 1 - Brittany Born - Fr. - LIB/DS
Ellicott City, Md. - Archbishop Spalding
- Has served as the team's libero in most matches this year.
- Named the MAAC Rookie-of-the-Week for 9/10-16 after her performances against Niagara and Canisius (9/16).
- Set a career-high with 33 digs at Niagara (9/15), the most by a Loyola player since Kimi Gabriel had 35 on 10/1/06 against Marist.
- Previous season-high was 27 digs against both La Salle (9/1) and Towson (9/4).
- Led the team with 25 digs against Iona (9/30).
# 2 - Kimi Gabriel - So. - LIB/DS
Richmond, Calif. - Salesian
- Had match-high 19 digs in season-opener against Campbell (8/24).
- Led the team with 16 digs against Hartford (9/7).
- Recorded 18 digs versus Lafayette (8/31) and 15 at La Salle (9/1).
- Season-high 24 digs at Niagara (9/15). Previous season-high was 22 against Lafayette (8/31).
- Career-high 35 digs came against Marist (10/1/06).
# 4 - Maddie Fuller - Jr. - OH/RS
Dallas, Texas - Highland Park
- Had a season-high eight kills and seven digs against Lafayette (8/31). Also assisted on three blocks.
- Playing on the right side, she had six kills against Siena (9/22)
- Logged five kills against both Norfolk State and North Carolina State (both 8/25).
- Closed her sophomore season with three 13-plus kill performances in the tournament.
# 5 - Kristen Muscarella - So. - S
Garden City, N.Y. - Garden City
- Saw action at setter against Coppin State and had a career-high seven set assists.
- Played as a DS versus Siena (9/22) and had nine digs and a kill.
# 8 - Jordan Sickman - Fr. - MB/RS
Chandler, Ariz. - Corona del Sol
- Played in her first collegiate game against Coppin State (9/8) and recorded two kills in six attempts.
# 10 - Nicole Scimeme - So. - OH
Stony Brook, N.Y. - Ward Melville
- Finished the Hartford match (9/7) with two kills and three digs.
- Saw first action of the season at the La Salle Tournament.
# 11 - Chrissey Cruz - So. - S
Harlingen, Texas - Harlingen South
- Starting setter for the Greyhounds.
- Has posted nine double-doubles in assists and digs this year.
- Dished out a season-high 63 assists against Marist (9/23).
- Had a career-high 20 digs against George Washington (9/18).
- Averaging 10.75 assists per game with 828 in 77 games.
- Season-high eight kills at La Salle (9/1).
- Started all 36 matches last year, leading the team with 1,186 assists.
- Earned All-Tournament honors at the 2006 MAAC Championships.
# 12 - Karlee Woodward - So. - MB
Scottsdale, Ariz. - Chaparral
- Season-high eight blocks at Iona (9/30).
- Hit .478 versus George Washington (9/18) and .457 against Siena (9/22).
- Her 19 kills against Siena were the most by a Loyola player in 2007 and a career-high for a 3-game match.
- Earned All-Tournament Honors at the Crusader Classic.
- Hit. 411 in three matches with 36 kills and only eight errors in 68 attempts at the tournament.
- Had five total blocks against Lafayette (8/31) and La Salle (9/1).
- Ten or more kills in 12 of the last 15 matches.
- Hit above .500 in back-to-back matches, Hartford (9/7) and Holy Cross (9/8).
# 13 - Christina Greenup - Jr. - OH
Malibu, Calif. - Louisville
- Returned to the Loyola lineup as a starting outside hitter on 9/8, and Loyola is 8-2 since her return.
- Had 14 kills and tied her season-high with four blocks at Iona (9/30).
- Had 13 kills in her first match back (at Holy Cross, 9/8).
- Had 10 kills and a season-high 12 digs at Niagara (9/15).
- Recorded a season-high 17 kills against Marist (9/23).
- Was in on four total blocks against both Siena (9/22) and Marist.
# 14 - Rachel Schillinger - Jr. - MB
Wexford, Pa. - North Allegheny
- Hit .545, a season-best, with 12 kills and zero errors in 22 swings at Iona (9/30). Also had six block assists.
- Put away a season-high seven blocks, all assists, at Niagara (9/16) to go with 12 kills.
- Had 12 kills and six block assists versus Holy Cross (9/8).
- Named to the All-Tournament Team at the La Salle Invitational after finishing with a .320 hitting mark. Had 40 kills and only 8 errors.
- Season-high 16 kills against Lafayette (8/31).
- Finished the La Salle match with 12 kills and only one error (9/1).
#16 - Samantha Greenbaum - Jr. - DS
Maple Glen, Pa. - Upper Dublin
- Saw action in three matches, six games, at the North Carolina Central Tournament. Finished with two digs and a kill.
# 18 - Nina Camaioni - Fr. - OH
Williamstown, N.J. - Williamstown
- Set Loyola single-match record with 36 digs against Marist (9/23)
- Also had 18 kills against the Red Foxes.
- Improved her career-high to 19 kills at Iona (9/30). Also had 17 digs.
- Earned All-Tournament honors at the Crusader Classic, finishing with 2.91 kills per game and a .185 hitting mark.
- Had 17 kills against Towson (9/4) to tie her then-career high. Also had 17 digs against the Tigers.
- Registered 17 kills against both Saint Peter's and La Salle (both 9/1).
- Solid performance in first collegiate tournament, finishing the North Carolina Central Tournament with team-highs in kills (44) and digs (46). Also had nine aces.
23 - Joanne Schurtz - So. - OH
Fanwood, N.J. - Union Catholic
- Saw the first extended playing time of her collegiate career at the season-opening tournament. Started two, and appeared in all four, of the matches.
- Had seven kills against Campbell (8/24).
- Set career-high with eight kills at La Salle (9/1).
- Registered seven digs against South Carolina State (8/25) and five versus Campbell.
# 25 - Kelly Nevin - So. - RS/MB
Hampstead, Md. - Mount de Sales Academy
- Hit .429 with three kills and zero errors in seven attempts against South Carolina State (8/25).
- Also had a set assist and a block assist against the Bulldogs.
# 38 - Anastasia Collins - So. - OH
Jeffersonville, Pa. - Villa Maria Academy
- Posted 12 kills and a career-high four assists against Marist (9/23).
- Notched career-high with five total blocks against Holy Cross (9/8).
- Had double-doubles against both Niagara (9/15) and Canisius (9/16) with 11 kills and 15 digs and 10 kills and 13 digs, respectively.
- Second on the team with 39 kills (2.60 per game) at the North Carolina Central Tournament.
- Tallied 14 kills and a .323 hitting percentage in the first match against Campbell (8/24). Also had five aces and was in on three blocks versus the Camels.
- Went for 14 kills and 13 digs, the first double-double of her collegiate career, against North Carolina State (8/25).