Sept. 24, 2007
Next Up: The Greyhounds continue their four-match homestand with a non-conference match against Wagner College on Wednesday, September 26, at 7 p.m. Loyola then returns to the road for a pair of Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference matches. The Greyhounds play at Fairfield on Saturday, September 29, then are at Iona on Sunday, September 30. Both matches begin at 2 p.m.
Record-Setting Performance: Nina Camaioni's 36-dig performance in Sunday's win over Marist set a Loyola single-match record for digs, breaking the 2002 mark of 35 recorded by Megan Maguire against Fairfield.
From the Middle: Karlee Woodward posted her third-straight week of .300-plus hitting percentage. Against George Washington, Siena and Marist, the Scottsdale, Ariz., native had 40 kills and only six errors in 83 attempts for a .410 hitting percentage. She hit at a .457 clip with 19 kills, the most in a single match by any Loyola player this season, against Siena. This season, Woodward is hitting .324 with only 54 errors in 408 swings.
This and That: Loyola's win over George Washington last Tuesday night was the Greyhounds' first in 10 meetings with the Colonials... The five-game win over Marist was Loyola's 10th of the season, matching its highest win total since the 2002 season in only 17 matches... The Greyhounds are 4-1 in matches that go to five games this season, but they are only 2-4 in four-game matches.
Spreading It Out: Greyhounds setter Chrissey Cruz had 145 assists in three matches this past week, an average of 13.18 per game. The total raised her average from 10.00 assists per game at the beginning of last week to 10.52 entering the Wagner match. She has done an excellent job of distributing her sets, as five Loyola hitters are averaging 2.20 kills per game or higher.
The Seahawks: Wagner enters the match against Loyola with a 2-6 overall record after dropping three matches last weekend at the Colgate Invitational. Three Seahawks average 2.28 kills per game or more - Sarah Garrette (2.48), Alex Klein (2.28) and Ashley Pepper (2.28). Klein is also the team's primary passer, averaging 3.14 digs per game.
The Stags: Fairfield has won six of its last seven matches and is 7-9 overall.. The Stags defeated Niagara and Canisius last weekend to improve to 4-1 in the MAAC with their lone loss coming to Siena. Kelly Oliver and Katie Mann each have 175 or more kills this season. Oliver averages 3.85 per game, while Mann checks in at 3.34 per game.
The Gales: Iona remained undefeated at 4-0 in the MAAC with 3-1 wins over Niagara and Canisius last weekend. The Gales are 6-9 overall with matches against Central Connecticut and Siena prior to playing the Greyhounds.
# 1 - Brittany Born - Fr. - LIB/DS
Ellicott City, Md. - Archbishop Spalding
- Has served as the team's libero in most matches this year.
- Leads the team with a 4.58 digs per game average.
- Named the MAAC Rookie-of-the-Week for 9/10-16 after her performances against Niagara and Canisius (9/16).
- Set a career-high with 33 digs at Niagara (9/15), the most by a Loyola player since Kimi Gabriel had 35 on 10/1/06 against Marist.
- Previous season-high was 27 digs against both La Salle (9/1) and Towson (9/4).
# 2 - Kimi Gabriel - So. - LIB/DS
Richmond, Calif. - Salesian
- Had match-high 19 digs in season-opener against Campbell (8/24).
- Led the team with 16 digs against Hartford (9/7).
- Recorded 18 digs versus Lafayette (8/31) and 15 at La Salle (9/1).
- Season-high 24 digs at Niagara (9/15). Previous season-high was 22 against Lafayette (8/31).
- Career-high 35 digs came against Marist (10/1/06).
# 4 - Maddie Fuller - Jr. - OH/RS
Dallas, Texas - Highland Park
- Had a season-high eight kills and seven digs against Lafayette (8/31). Also assisted on three blocks.
- Playing on the right side, she had six kills against Siena (9/22)- Logged five kills against both Norfolk State and North Carolina State (both 8/25).
- Closed her sophomore season with three 13-plus kill performances in the tournament.
# 5 - Kristen Muscarella - So. - S
Garden City, N.Y. - Garden City
- Saw action at setter against Coppin State and had a career-high seven set assists.
- Played as a DS versus Siena (9/22) and had nine digs and a kill.
# 8 - Jordan Sickman - Fr. - MB/RS
Chandler, Ariz. - Corona del Sol
- Played in her first collegiate game against Coppin State (9/8) and recorded two kills in six attempts.
# 10 - Nicole Scimeme - So. - OH
Stony Brook, N.Y. - Ward Melville
- Finished the Hartford match (9/7) with two kills and three digs.
- Saw first action of the season at the La Salle Tournament.
# 11 - Chrissey Cruz - So. - S
Harlingen, Texas - Harlingen South
- Starting setter for the Greyhounds.
- Has posted eight double-doubles in assists and digs this year.
- Dished out a season-high 63 assists against Marist (9/23).
- Had a career-high 20 digs against George Washington (9/18).
- Averaging 10.52 assists per game with 705 in 67 games.
- Season-high eight kills at La Salle (9/1).
- Started all 36 matches last year, leading the team with 1,186 assists.
- Earned All-Tournament honors at the 2006 MAAC Championships.
# 12 - Karlee Woodward - So. - MB
Scottsdale, Ariz. - Chaparral
- Hit .478 versus George Washington (9/18) and .457 against Siena (9/22).
- Her 19 kills against Siena were the most by a Loyola player in 2007 and a career-high for a 3-game match.
- Also had five block assists against the Saints.
- Earned All-Tournament Honors at the Crusader Classic.
- Hit. 411 in three matches with 36 kills and only eight errors in 68 attempts.
- Had five total blocks against Lafayette (8/31) and La Salle (9/1).
- Ten or more kills in 11 of the last 12 matches.
- Hit above .500 in back-to-back matches, Hartford (9/7) and Holy Cross (9/8).
# 13 - Christina Greenup - Jr. - OH
Malibu, Calif. - Louisville
- Returned to the Loyola lineup as a starting outside hitter on 9/8.
- Had 13 kills in her first match back (at Holy Cross, 9/8).
- Had 10 kills and a season-high 12 digs at Niagara (9/15).
- Recorded a season-high 17 kills against Marist (9/23).
- Was in on four total blocks against both Siena (9/22) and Marist.
# 14 - Rachel Schillinger - Jr. - MB
Wexford, Pa. - North Allegheny
- Put away a season-high seven blocks, all assists, at Niagara (9/16) to go with 12 kills.
- Had 12 kills and six block assists versus Holy Cross (9/8).
- Named to the All-Tournament Team at the La Salle Invitational after finishing with a .320 hitting mark. Had 40 kills and only 8 errors.
- Season-high 16 kills against Lafayette (8/31).
- Finished the La Salle match with 12 kills and only one error (9/1).
#16 - Samantha Greenbaum - Jr. - DS
Maple Glen, Pa. - Upper Dublin
- Saw action in three matches, six games, at the North Carolina Central Tournament. Finished with two digs and a kill.
# 18 - Nina Camaioni - Fr. - OH
Williamstown, N.J. - Williamstown
- Set Loyola single-match record with 36 digs against Marist (9/23).
- Also had career-high 18 kills against the Red Foxes.
- Earned All-Tournament honors at the Crusader Classic, finishing with 2.91 kills per game and a .185 hitting mark.
- Had 17 kills against Towson (9/4) to tie her then-career high. Also had 17 digs against the Tigers.
- Solid performance in first collegiate tournament, finishing the North Carolina Central Tournament with team-highs in kills (44) and digs (46). Also had nine aces.
- Put up 13 kills and 11 digs against Campbell (8/24).
- Registered 17 kills against both Saint Peter's and La Salle (both 9/1).
23 - Joanne Schurtz - So. - OH
Fanwood, N.J. - Union Catholic
- Saw the first extended playing time of her collegiate career at the season-opening tournament. Started two, and appeared in all four, of the matches.
- Had seven kills against Campbell (8/24).
- Set career-high with eight kills at La Salle (9/1).
- Registered seven digs against South Carolina State (8/25) and five versus Campbell.
# 25 - Kelly Nevin - So. - RS/MB
Hampstead, Md. - Mount de Sales Academy
- Hit .429 with three kills and zero errors in seven attempts against South Carolina State (8/25).
- Also had a set assist and a block assist against the Bulldogs.
# 38 - Anastasia Collins - So. - OH
Jeffersonville, Pa. - Villa Maria Academy
- Returned to the lineup after missing the Siena match to be in her sister's wedding, to post 12 kills and a career-high four assists against Marist (9/23).
- Notched career-high with five total blocks against Holy Cross (9/8).
- Had double-doubles against both Niagara (9/15) and Canisius (9/16) with 11 kills and 15 digs and 10 kills and 13 digs, respectively.
- Second on the team with 39 kills (2.60 per game) at the North Carolina Central Tournament.
- Tallied 14 kills and a .323 hitting percentage in the first match against Campbell (8/24). Also had five aces and was in on three blocks versus the Camels.
- Went for 14 kills and 13 digs, the first double-double of her collegiate career, against North Carolina State (8/25).