Sept. 11, 2012
|Marriott Greyhound Classic Information|
|Opponent||Coppin State Eagles|
|Date||Wednesday, September 12, 2012|
|Online Media||Live Stats|
|Location||Baltimore, Md. | Reitz Arena|
- Loyola University Maryland will host its only match of the week on Wednesday, September 12, when Coppin State University comes to Reitz Arena for a 7 o’clock match. The contest will be Loyola’s final non-conference tilt of the regular-season before the Greyhounds embark on Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference play on Saturday, September 22, at Canisius College.
A Look At The Competition
- Coppin State brings a 2-5 record to Reitz Arena and will be playing its first match since September 1. The Eagles hosted the Coppin State Invitational August 31-September 1, and defeated North Carolina A&T and Bryant, wrapped around a loss to Chicago State.
- The Eagles are led by first-year head coach Ashley Preston who was an assistant coach at Loyola in 2010.
- Loyola won the inaugural Marriott Greyhound Challenge last weekend, going 3-0 with wins over Rider University, Charleston Southern University and Morgan State University.
- The Greyhounds hit .247 in the tournament with three players – Faye Lukas (4.17), Jac Bullock (3.42) and Katie Dircks (2.67) – averaging more than 2.5 kills per set.
Lukas Named Most Valuable Player At Tournament
- For the third time in as many weeks, Faye Lukas earned All-Tournament honors, this time picking up Most Valuable Player honors in the process at the Marriott Greyhound Challenge. She led all players at the tournament with a 50 kills in three matches, an average of 4.17 per set.
- Lukas, who is tops on the team with 3.69 kills per set through 11 matches this season, was second on the team in the tournament with nine blocks and five service aces.
- Kara Schiffer set a career-high twice in as many games during the tournament, registering 25 digs in Friday night’s MAAC opening win over RIder. She quickly topped that by posting an even 30 Saturday morning versus Charleston Southern.
- The last player to reach 30 digs was current Greyhound Janet Pressler who hit the mark on September 17, 2011, against Siena.
Setting It Up
- Lauren Andersen earned Marriott Greyhound Challenge All-Tournament honors along with Lukas and Schiffer after leading all players at the event with 133 assists, an average of 11.08 per set.
- Andersen also hit .414 and had 15 kills during the tournament with a career-best seven coming in the four-set win over Charleston Southern.