March 22, 2009
Niagara University, N.Y. - Loyola men's tennis defeated Niagara University 6-1 on Sunday afternoon, grabbing the doubles point and five singles victories in the win. The women's team fell to the Purple Eagles, 4-3.
The Greyhound men (6-2, 1-0 MAAC) won the doubles point with two of three victories. Freshman Kevin Zingler and junior Matt McDaniel won 8-5 at No. 2 doubles and sophomores Dan D'Agostino and Jamie Russo followed with the 8-3 victory at No. 3 doubles. Freshman team Keyan Sanai and J. Pierce Norton fell to their opponents 8-3 at the No. 1 spot.
In singles action for the men's team, Sanai played at No. 1 singles and lost the first set 6-7, after a 7-4 lost in the tiebreaker. He continued on to win the match after a 6-3 win in the second and a final 7-5 victory in the third.
Zingler won a 6-2 first set, lost a 6-4 second and won a 6-2 third set for the win at No. 3 singles.
McDaniel won in straight-sets at No. 4 singles (6-2, 6-2), as did D'Agostino at No. 5 (6-4, 7-5) and Russo at No. 6 singles (6-1, 6-1).
The women's team (6-3, 0-1 MAAC) fell to Niagara in doubles action. Freshman Rachel Janasek and junior Kerri Swan lost 8-2 at No. 1 doubles, sophomores Andie Keyser-Baker and Joy Johnson lost 8-4 at No. 2 and juniors Caitlyn Day and Stephanie Dunn fell 8-5 at No. 3 doubles.
The Greyhounds were victories in several singles matches, starting with Keyser-Baker and a 6-2, 7-5 win at No. 3 singles. Johnson also won 6-0, 7-6 with a 7-2 win in the tiebreaker at No. 5 singles and freshman Judy Lite stepped in at No. 6 singles for a 6-4, 7-5 match victory.
Janasek, Day and Swan fell to their opponents in straight sets at No. 1, 2 and 4 singles, respectively.
Both teams continue conference play on Wednesday at Loyola, when they face Rider University at 3:00 p.m.
Loyola (Md.) 6, Niagara University 1
1. Kopf, Steve/Heckley, Joe (NIA) def. Norton, J. Pierce/Sanai, Keyan (LOY) 8-3
2. Zingler, Kevin/McDaniel, Matt (LOY) def. Tedasco-Blair, Jorda/Bolea, Nick (NIA) 8-5
3. D'Agostino, Dan/Russo, Jamie (LOY) def. Baird, John/Dickinson, Marc (NIA) 8-3
1. Sanai, Keyan (LOY) def. Dickinson, Marc (NIA) 7-6 (7-4), 3-6, 7-5
2. Heckley, Joe (NIA) def. Norton, J. Pierce (LOY) 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
3. Zingler, Kevin (LOY) def. Bolea, Nick (NIA) 6-3, 6-4, 6-1
4. McDaniel, Matt (LOY) def. Tedasco-Blair, Jorda (NIA) 6-1, 6-3
5. D'Agostino, Dan (LOY) def. Kopf, Steve (NIA) 6-4, 7-5
6. Russo, Jamie (LOY) def. Baird, John (NIA) 6-1, 6-1
Niagara University 4, Loyola (Md.) 3
1. Solis, Raquel/Lucas, Alyssa (NIAW) def. Janasek, Rachel/Swan, Kerri (LOY) 8-2
2. Lakic, Vanja/Cunnington, Emma (NIAW) def. Johnson, Joy/Keyser-Baker, Andie (LOY) 8-4
3. Walters, Brittany/Tiso, Victoria (NIAW) def. Day, Caitlyn/Dunn, Stephanie (LOY) 8-6
1. Lucas, Alyssa (NIAW) def. Janasek, Rachel (LOY) 6-2, 6-1
2. Solis, Raquel (NIAW) def. Day, Caitlyn (LOY) 6-1, 6-0
3. Keyser-Baker, Andie (LOY) def. Cunnington, Emma (NIAW) 6-2, 7-5
4. Lakic, Vanja (NIAW) def. Swan, Kerri (LOY) 6-1, 6-3
5. Johnson, Joy (LOY) def. Tiso, Victoria (NIAW) 6-0, 7-6 (7-2)
6. Lite, Judy (LOY) def. Walters, Brittany (NIAW) 6-4, 7-5