|Date||Saturday, September 17, 2016|
|Location||Easton, PA | Oaks Stadium|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter | Instagram|
Loyola Opens Patriot League Play At Lafayette
The Loyola University Maryland women’s soccer team prepares to open it’s fourth season in the Patriot League on Saturday, Sept. 17 against Lafayette. The match is set to begin at 2 p.m.
Loyola Quick Hits (3-2-1, 0-0-0)
• The Greyhounds have charted the best start to a season under coach Naomi Meiburger and the best since 2012, where the Greyhounds were 3-2-1 through the first six games.
• The last time out for Loyola was on Sunday, Sept. 4, where the Greyhounds dropped their second match of the season, falling to Delaware 1-0.
• In four weeks of play the Greyhounds have earned two Patriot League weekly honors. Julianna Cabrera was named Offensive Player of the week on Aug. 22 and Nicole Wahlig Defensive Player of the Week on Aug. 29.
• Six of seven Loyola goals this season have come from set pieces.
About Lafayette (3-2-2, 0-0-0)
• Lafayette’s unbeaten streak over the first five games, before dropping two matches against Penn and Brown last weekend, was the best start in program history. The Leopards are 3-2-2 entering league play against the Greyhounds.
• The Leopards have received four Patriot League weekly honors so far this season. In the first week of play, sophomore Katie Brannigan was selected as the PL Midfielder of the week for her performance in the team’s 1-1 double overtime draw with reigning MAAC champion Siena. In the second week of play, senior Melissa Lynsky was named the PL Offensive Player of the Week and Brannigan earned her second Midfielder of the Week honor of the season. Last week, senior co-captain Danielle Sedillo was selected as the PL Goalkeeper of the Week, rounding out four weekly awards for Lafayette in four weeks of play.
• Lafayette is coming off its first winning season since 2011, finishing last year with a 8-7-1 overall mark.
Series Against The Leopards
• In a series that dates back to 1998, Loyola is unbeaten when playing Lafayette. The series record is 3-0-2 in favor of the Greyhounds.
• The Greyhounds claimed two non-conference victories, a 6-0 win in 1998 and a 3-2 overtime win in 2009.
• Since joining the Patriot League and becoming conference-foes, Loyola has tied Lafayette in back-to-back meetings in 2013 and 2014, and claimed the victory last season with an overtime win.
• Loyola is 18-3-3 all-time in conference openers and 1-1-1 in the Patriot League.
• As a member of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (1992-2012), the Greyhounds posted a 17-2-2 record in conference openers.
• The Greyhounds recorded their first league-opening win in the Patriot League last season against Lafayette, winning 2-1 in overtime.
Loyola will take the short trip to Washington, D.C. to face American on Wednesday, Sept. 28 at 4 p.m.