Aug. 17, 2016
|Opponent||Mount St. Mary's|
|Date||Friday, August 19, 2016|
|Location||Emmitsburg, Maryland | Waldron Family Stadium|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter | Instagram|
2016 Season Opens at Mount St. Mary’s
• The Loyola University Maryland women’s soccer team kicks off the 2016 season with an away game on Friday, Aug. 19, against Mount St. Mary’s. The match is set to begin at 5 p.m.
• Loyola returns 19 letterwinners from a 2015 squad that finished 6-10-2 overall and 4-4-1 in Patriot League play.
• Head coach Naomi Meiburger returns for her third season on the Greyhounds’ sidelines, after guiding the team to their first-ever Patriot League Tournament appearences in the past two seasons.
• The Greyhounds welcome assistant coach Kevin Dempsey and volunteer assistant Morgan Ruhl to the program. Dempsey comes to Loyola after serving one year as an assistant coach at Maryland and five seasons as the assistant coach/recruiting cordinator at LSU. Ruhl, a Maryland native, returns to the state after playing on the LSU women’s soccer team for three seasons and serving as an undergraduate goalkeeper coach for the team in 2015.
• Sophomore goalkeeper Sumer Rahe will start for the Greyhounds this season after logging 105 minutes in 2015.
• Despite losing Patriot League Offensive Player of the Year, midfielder Rosy Hayes, the Greyhounds return six veteran midfielders, including sophomore Julianna Cabrera, who started in all 18 games at midfield last season.
• The Greyhounds return three strong veteran defenders, including Morgan Crable, Kelsey Targarona and Nicole Wahlig. Wahlig was named to the 2016 Preseason All-Patriot League Team, as well as the All-Patriot League Second Team last season. She has been named Patriot League Defensive Player of the Week two times in her college career.
• The Greyhounds also welcome nine newcomers to the roster - Lily Andres, Casey McKenzie, Mary Theresa Corcoran, Alice Regan, Taylor Denison, Maddie Hart, Jen Moutenot, Beth Eversman and Brianna Alonso.
Mount St. Mary’s
• The Mount has hired Joe Nemzer as the new head coach of the women’s soccer program, as he becomes the sixth Head Coach in program history.
• Mount St. Mary’s opens the season with four-straight home matches. Following Loyola, the Mountaineers have games versus Howard, American and Lehigh.
• The Mountaineers finished the Northeast Conference league in seventh place with a record of 2-4-2 and finished the season with an overall record of 3-14-2.
• The Mountaineers had three players honored with All-Northeast Conference selections. Rachel Bourne and Nicole Vallely were named Second Team All-NEC and Jenna West was named to the All-Rookie Team. This is the first time the program had multiple All-Conference players since the 1998 season.
Series With The Mountaineers
• The Greyhounds are undefeated against the Mountaineers, winning all eight games in which the two teams have met, a series that began in 1992.
• The last meeting between the Greyhounds and the Mountaineers was during the 2014 season where the Greyhounds won 2-0 in the final game of the Battle of Baltimore.
• After playing each other in four-consecutive seasons between 1992 and 1996, the Mountaineers and Greyhounds did not meet again until the 2009 season, and have faced each other two times since (‘10, ‘14).
• Loyola is 13-9-2 in season openers since beginning the program in 1992.
• In last year’s opener, the Greyhounds saw a double overtime loss to Delaware, but came out victorious in the 2014 matchup against head coach Naomi Meiburger’s alma mater, George Mason.
• Friday night’s contest will be the second time Loyola and Mount St. Mary’s have met in a season opener. The first was in the 2009 season where Loyola won in a 1-0 sweep.
• Loyola will host UMBC on Sunday, Aug. 21, at 4 p.m.