Women's Soccer Advances to MAAC Championship Game With 4-2 Win Over Canisius

Nov. 7, 2008


LOUDONVILLE, N.Y. - Four Loyola women's soccer players scored goals, and the Greyhounds defeated Canisius, 4-2, in the MAAC Semifinals at Siena. With the win, Loyola advances to Sunday's MAAC Championship Game where they will face Fairfield at 1 p.m.

The top-seeded Greyhounds (10-5-4 overall) will make their MAAC record 15th appearance in the Championship Game and attempt to win the MAAC Tournament title for the ninth time in the 17-year history of MAAC women's soccer.

Loyola took a 3-0 lead in the first 19 minutes of the match with a flurry of offensive activity.

"We started off very strong, right from the first possession," Loyola Head Coach Katherine Vettori said. "We were aggressive the whole time, and I was very pleased with our first half. Then, in the second half, we fought hard to finish it out. We were very focused today, and now we are looking forward to Sunday."

Theresa Ferraina scored her team-leading ninth goal of the season in the 10th minute to start the scoring. She stole the ball from a Golden Griffins defender at the top of the 18-yard box, and scored on a shot inside the left post.

Less than two minutes later, Lea Day was taken down inside the box, and a foul was called on Canisius, giving the Greyhounds a penalty kick opportunity.

Christina Gomez converted that attempt to put Loyola ahead, 2-0.

In under seven minutes, Loyola added its third goal of the match. Lina Staropoli took the ball from the left-side endline and scored unassisted in the 19th minute.

"Lina got endline, and instead of playing the ball back, she took a shot and scored inside the near post," Vettori said. "She played her best game of the year today."

Canisius, the No. 4 seed, got on the scoreboard just over three minutes later, pulling within two goals, as Rebecca Shupe took a free kick from outside the box after a Loyola foul and directed her shot into the right side of the goal.

The Greyhounds responded, however, extended their lead back to three, three-minutes, three-seconds later.

Day took a long pass from Staropoli on the right side of the box. Day took a few touches and drilled a shot from seven yards out.

Loyola had two more shots in the first half, but none found the net. The Greyhounds held a 17-7 shot advantage in the match.

The Golden Griffins added their final goal in the 71st minute, as Kelly Reinwald dribbled in and snuck a shot inside the left post from 10 yards out.

Loyola will take on No. 2 seed Fairfield on Sunday, November 9, 2008, at 1 p.m. Fairfield advanced by virtue of a 5-4 penalty kick advantage after playing No. 3 seed Siena to a 0-0 double-overtime tie.

The Championship Game can be viewed live on, and a link will be available on the Loyola athletics website.