Women's Soccer Plays To Scoreless Draw At Fairfield

Oct. 21, 2011

Final Stats

FAIRFIELD, Conn. - The Loyola University Maryland women's soccer team had its second-consecutive overtime match on Friday night, playing to a, 0-0, draw at Fairfield in Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference action.

The tie moved Loyola to 3-2-1 in MAAC play and kept the squad unbeaten in its last ten regular-season meetings with the Stags, notching a 7-0-3 record. Fairfield has not defeated Loyola in MAAC regular-season play since October 19, 2001.

"We put up a hard fight against a quality side in Fairfield," said Head Coach Katherine Remy Vettori. "I was pleased with the effort. Picking up a point on the road is always important."

Sophomore Didi Haracic made seven stops, including one in the final minute of the second overtime to preserve the draw. It was the third career shutout for Haracic who has not allowed a goal in the last 220 minutes of regulation.

Anchored in the middle by Kelsey Rene and Taylor Bryant, Loyola's back line continued its impressive play, allowing just two goals over the last three matches.

The two sides played a scoreless first half, with Fairfield holding a 6-2 edge in shots in the frame. It was the fifth-straight match that Loyola went into halftime tied with its opponent, and the third-straight where neither side was able to get on the board.

Nichole Schiro recorded both shots for Loyola, placing one on net in the 45th minute that was stopped by Kelly Boudreau.

Both sides continued to play strong defense through the second half, as Loyola went into overtime scoreless for the second-straight match. It marked the 15th overtime affair in 31 all-time meetings between the Greyhounds and Stags.

Loyola (5-10-1, 3-2-1 MAAC) created two scoring opportunities early in the first overtime, as Lauren Norcia and Chantal Celestin each forced Boudreau to make difficult saves in the first three minutes of the session.

Fairfield (4-6-5, 2-2-2 MAAC) came close to ending the game in the 96th minute, when Shannon Fay fired a shot that rung off the far post and went wide of the goal.

Both sides had chances to earn the three points with the victory in the second overtime. The Stags had the first, as Lauren Reilly had a header that beat Haracic high but bounced off the crossbar.

The Greyhounds' opportunity came in the 109th minute when Norcia bent a corner kick toward the goal from the right side that Boudreau was able to punch out toward the top of the penalty area, where Schiro attempted a bicycle kick that sailed just over the top of the bar.

It was the first scoreless tie for the Greyhounds in conference play since October 18, 2008 against Rider.

The Greyhounds play their final road game of the regular-season on Sunday at noon against the Gaels of Iona College.