Marist Edges Loyola, 1-0, In Overtime

Oct. 16, 2011

Final Stats

View on a mobile device

BALTIMORE - Amanda Epstein scored a goal less than four minutes into the first overtime as visiting Marist edged past the Loyola University Maryland women's soccer team, 1-0, on Sunday afternoon at Ridley Athletic Complex.

The Red Foxes (10-5-0, 5-1-0) were able to end the game early in the overtime period, as Rycke Guiney sent a ball into the box that was flicked over the head of keeper Didi Haracic by Samantha Panzner and finished into the empty net by Epstein in the 94th minute of play.

The loss was the second of the conference season for Loyola (5-10-0, 3-2-0), which dropped to 11-4-1 at Ridley Athletic Complex.

Haracic was outstanding in net, making eight saves in the contest with several spectacular stops that kept Loyola in the game.

The teams played a balanced first half and went into the locker rooms scoreless. Marist held an 8-7 edge in shots while the Greyhounds had a 4-2 advantage in corner kicks.

Haracic was impressive in the first frame, making five saves including three diving stops. The sophomore stuffed Rycke Guindsney on a breakaway down the left side in the 25th minute, and followed that with a similar stop on Amanda Epstein on the right side just 45 seconds later.

The Greyhounds created several scoring opportunities off set pieces, including three great chances off corner kicks. The first came in the ninth minute, when junior Lauren Norcia sent in a corner that found the head of Kelsey Rene, but sailed high over the net. Tessa McClenahan and Katelyn McFadden also had shots that went just over the top of the crossbar.

The second half was a similar story, as Loyola continued to play strong defense. Rene, Jenny Thornton, Kelly Santangelo and Joie McLaughlin formed a solid back four that made things difficult for the Marist forwards, holding the Red Foxes without a goal for 93 minutes in the game.

The Greyhounds had a chance to take the lead late in the contest, when Kelsey Donohue made a run down the left side and sent a ball across the face of the goal, but it was too far ahead of Nichole Schiro and barely missed the ball with a sliding attempt.

Gigi Mangione led Loyola with four shots, putting three on net in the contest. The junior captain took a dangerous free kick from just outside the penalty area in the first half, but her shot was pushed over the top of the net by Marist keeper Caitlin Landsman.

Landsman finished with four saves in the shutout effort. Marist outshot Loyola 15-8 while the two sides finished tied with five corner kicks each.

The Greyhounds make their final road trip of the season as they head to Fairfield on Friday, October 21 for a 7 p.m. kick-off.