Loyola, Manhattan Battle to 0-0 Draw in MAAC Opener

Oct. 5, 2007

Box Score | Photo Gallery 

BALTIMORE - Loyola College and Manhattan College combined for 26 shots, but none found the net, as the teams played to a 0-0 tie in their first Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference match of the 2007 season on Friday afternoon at Diane Geppi-Aikens Field.

The Greyhounds (3-5-2 overall, 0-0-1 MAAC) took 17 shots, while the Jaspers (3-3-4, 0-0-1) managed nine. Brittany Henderson made five saves for Loyola, while Manhattan's Alicia DeFino stopped nine.

Loyola was not without chances in the match, especially off the foot of Christina Gomez. The sophomore forward took seven shots, three on goal, to lead all players.

In the first half, Gomez had three shots sail just high of the crossbar and another saved by DeFIno. Manhattan's best first half chance came in the in the 25th minute as Caroline Morse drove a shot that Henderson saved falling to her left.

Morse had six shots to lead the Jaspers.

The second half saw more offensive action. Morse had a shot saved by Henderson in the 52nd minute, and Loyola took Henderson's distribution and immediately manufactured an offensive opportunity.

Theresa Ferraina forced a corner kick by deflecting the ball off a Manhattan defender. While the Jaspers settled the corner kick, Loyola's midfield held the ball in the offensive area.

Gomez took a pass from the right side, turned and struck a hard shot from left to right. DeFino punched it away with her left hand, and the ball rattled off the far post. Lea Day corralled the rebound for the Greyhounds and drove a shot that was stopped and held onto by DeFino.

Manhattan had a strong chance in the 79th minute, as Courtney McMahon slipped pas Loyola's defense and struck a shot high of the goal.

Gomez took the Greyhounds best opportunity in the first overtime period, hitting a hard shot off a loose ball that DeFino saved. She slid a ball wide left two minutes later. Brynn McGrath had a good opportunity with a shot from the top of the box in the 98th minute, but it bent left and outside the goal.

The Greyhounds continue their conference homestand on Sunday, October 7, with a 1 p.m. match against Saint Peter's College.