Aggressive Offense Gives Women's Soccer Early Advantage In MAAC-Opening Win

Oct. 3, 2008

Stats | Photo Gallery 

BALTIMORE - Loyola College senior forward Theresa Ferraina assisted on two first-half goals, the initial salvo coming 83 seconds into the match by Lea Day, and the Greyhounds defeated Iona, 4-0, in the first Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference match of the season on Friday afternoon at Diane Geppi-Aikens Field.

Ferraina ran onto a long pass down the right side, cut toward the goal and beat her defender. She sent a low cross into the six-yard box, which Day poked into the right side of the net to stake the Greyhounds (3-5-2 overall, 1-0-0 MAAC) to a 1-0 advantage.

"It's always nice to score a goal a minute, 23 seconds into a game," Head Coach Katherine Vettori said. "We put together some very nice passing combinations, and we did some very nice things on the offensive end in the first half."

Ferraina was involved in the second goal less than 18 minutes later. This time, she dribbled around four Iona defenders inside the box, and dropped a pass to a waiting Christina Gomez at the top of the six.

Gomez put a light chip to the right side and into the net 19:21 into the match.

Loyola scored its third goal of the half off a corner kick, marking the third time in three matches that the Greyhounds have scored on a set play.

Lina Staropoli hooked a corner kick from the right side into the middle of the box. Maggie Ebner, who had just entered the game, took the ball out of mid-air and set a waist-high drive into the net for her first collegiate goal at 33:53.

While Loyola did not have as many good chances in the second half, the Greyhounds controlled possession nearly the entire game.

Ferraina scored a goal of her own - her team-leading fifth of the season - with just under 20 minutes remaining.

Kristina Balfoort punched a ball out of traffic and onto Ferraina's foot as she beat her defender. Iona goalkeeper Suzanne Baldissard made a move out toward Ferraina to cut down the angle, but Ferraina sent a shot from right-to-left, banged it off the inside of the far post an in.

The four goals and 20 shots are season-highs for Loyola. It was also the Greyhounds' second-straight shutout.

Iona (1-11-0, 0-1-0) took only three shots in the match, all of them on goal.

The Gaels' best scoring chance came in the 62nd minute. A defensive mix-up by Loyola left Iona's Sarah Porco alone with the ball and closing in on the goal.

She struck a hard, low shot that was saved by Loyola goalkeeper Brittany Henderson.

Iona had another good opportunity in the final two minutes. After a corner kick from the left side, the ball bounced out to the top left side of the box. Kerrie Deignan hit a hard shot that Henderson punched away from harm.

Henderson finished with three saves.

The Greyhounds continue MAAC action on Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m. when they host Fairfield.

"It is good to start the conference schedule off with a win, but every game is like a championship game at this point," Vettori said.