Schiro, Miller Connect Twice In Double OT Women's Soccer Win

Sept. 16, 2012

Final Stats

View on a mobile device

BALTIMORE - Nichole Schiro and Charlotte Miller connected twice on goals, and Loyola University Maryland rebounded from a late equalizing goal to defeat Saint Joseph's University, 3-2, in double overtime Sunday afternoon at Ridley Athletic Complex.

Miller sent a pass to a cutting Schiro, and the senior took one touch before sending a right-footed strike inside the right post and past a diving Christine Neal to provide the game-winner with 1:47 remaining in double overtime.

It was the second time the combination beat the Hawks (4-4-1 overall) after Schiro scored a go-ahead goal 63:40 into the game off a Miller assist.

Schiro's first goal of the afternoon appeared to be standing up as the deciding tally until the last 10 seconds of regulation. Saint Joseph's was awarded a free kick with five seconds left from 20 yards out on the right side of the box after a Loyola foul.

Morgan Duffy ran over the ball, and Taylor Mallory struck a left-footed kick that curved around Loyola's wall and inside the far post, tying the game at 2-2 with four seconds remaining.

Mallory's goal was nearly the same as her score that knotted the game 9.6 seconds before halftime.

A Loyola foul at the top right corner of the box gave the Hawks a free kick. Mallory hit this one toward the left side of the goal, and an onrushing Katie Beattie jumped over the ball, allowing it through for a goal to tie the score at 1-1 going into halftime.

Loyola (4-2-2) was able to break through midway through the second half, however, as Schiro and Miller teamed up.

The duo executed a give and go with an extra give for good measure, as Schiro put a low shot into the middle of the goal past a charging Neal to stake Loyola to a 2-1 lead.

Loyola nearly added to its lead 12 minutes later when Schiro got a strong header off a Kelly Santangelo free kick, but Neal gobbled up the ball for a save.

After Mallory's second goal sent the game to regulation, Saint Joseph's had the first quality chance as Nicole King crossed a ball from right-to-left. Mo Hawkins put her head on the ball, but she directed the ball into the ground, and it bounced to Loyola goalkeeper Didi Haracic.

With less than 10 seconds left in the first extra frame, Gigi Mangione sent a corner kick into the box, but Schiro's header went wide left, sending the game to a final period.

It was another corner kick that provided the Greyhounds with their first quality opportunity to score in the second overtime. Mangione put a ball to the penalty mark where Schiro hit a header that was stopped by a diving Neal.

Two minutes later, Schiro received a pass just outside the 18, settled it and drove toward the goal. When Neal charged out, Schiro chipped a ball on goal, but it went over the cross bar.

Late in the second overtime, Saint Joseph's had a goal kick, but Neal's ball was settled by Loyola's Chantal Celestin. Falling the to ground, Celestin poked the ball out toward the left sideline where Melissa Lookingland ran on and made a one-touch pass forward to Miller.

Miller controlled it and made a diagonal run to the middle of the 18. She sent a right-to-left pass to Schiro who scored the winner.

The Greyhounds' first goal of the game came nearly 15 minutes in when Katelyn McFadden took a throw-in and dribbled to the right corner. She slipped around two defenders and sent a long shot toward the far post. Neal, who was backpedaling, tried the punch it away, but it settled inside the left post for McFadden's first goal of the year.

Loyola outshot Saint Joseph's, 23-18, and had an 8-4 advantage in corner kicks.

The Greyhounds play a pair on the road next weekend, at Stony Brook on Friday and Fordham on Sunday, before returning to Ridley Athletic Complex to start Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference action.