Women's Soccer Drops Sunday Afternoon Matchup To Towson

Sept. 13, 2015

Final Stats

EMMITSBURG, Md. - The Loyola University Maryland women's soccer team dropped a neutral site match to Towson University, 1-0, in the Battle of Baltimore Sunday at the Waldron Family Stadium on the campus of Mount St. Mary's.

In the 37th minute, Towson's Maddie Bove scored the lone goal of the match. Vasthy Delgado took a corner kick for the Tigers and played the ball into the air to Marissa Green inside the box. Green got a head on the ball and her header sailed into the air for a second time. Bove won the 50/50 ball and sent it past the hands of Loyola's Colleen Folan.

"We knew it was going to be hard to match the emotion we showed in the UMBC game for a second-straight match," head coach Naomi Meiburger said. "Playing into the wind in the first half was difficult. I don't think either team had clear chances in the game. It all came down to a set piece, and that's just the nature of the game."

In the first stanza, both teams played a very defensive game. Towson (5-2-1) held a 4-0 shot advantage in the first 45 minutes, but two of the shots were soft touches that Folan was able to easily snatch out of the air.

Coming back from the break, Loyola (2-5-0) had its first chance to counter in the 53rd minute when Towson was called for a foul, setting up a set piece opportunity for the Greyhounds. Senior Rosy Hayes struck the ball 25-yards out and found the head of junior Nicole Wahlig. The junior defender headed the ball just wide of the post, but her attempt provided an offensive spark for the Greyhounds.

Seconds later, senior Charlotte Miller raced up the field and took a shot inside the box, but the attempt was blocked by the Tigers' defense.

Loyola's defense also proved big in the second half, as freshman Lexy Andrews and Wahlig made back-to-back blocks in the 70th minute to keep the Tigers off the scoreboard for a second time.

In the last 10 minutes of the match, Loyola continued to push offensively. Andrews ran up the flank and sent a cross to the center of the field. Classmate Kaisa Aalto settled the ball and hit a high-powered shot just above the cross bar. Loyola pressured until the final whistle, putting together two additional shot opportunities in the final four minutes of the match.

Folan played the first 45 minutes, recording two saves. Freshman Sumer Rahe came in at the start of the second half and played the final stanza to its entirety, posting two saves against Towson.

Loyola went 1-1 in the Battle of Baltimore tournament. Hayes, Miller and freshman Julianna Cabrera were named to the all-tournament team.

"Both of our goalkeepers did well cleaning up balls and dealing with the wind," Meiburger said. "This weekend was good preparation for us as we head into conference play. Now the focus will be on the Patriot League and our game against Lafayette next Saturday."

Loyola opens up the Patriot League portion of its schedule on Saturday, Sept. 19, welcoming Lafayette College to Ridley Athletic Complex. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.