Two Second Half Goals Not Enough To Lift WSOC Over DePaul

Aug. 31, 2014

Final Stats | Photo Gallery 


BALTIMORE - A pair of second half goals by Loyola University Maryland women's soccer were not enough to lift the Greyhounds over DePaul University, 4-2, on Sunday afternoon at Ridley Athletic Complex.

In the Blue Demons first trip to Ridley, DePaul maintained its undefeated record and improved to 4-0 on the season. Loyola dropped to 1-3 overall.

DePaul scored back-to-back goals in the first half, the first coming quickly off the kickoff. Midfielder Alex Ben made near-side cross to Abby Reed just inside the box. Reed's quick left-footed shot found the back of the net in the fourth minute and put the Blue Demons up 1-0 in the match.

Ten minutes later, Reed scored her second goal of the afternoon, giving DePaul a 2-0 lead midway through the first half.

Sophomore Maddie Boccio gave the Greyhounds their first opportunity to score in the 17th minute, taking a cross from junior Charlotte Miller. Boccio made contact with the ball, but the header went slightly right of the goal post.

DePaul held a 5-3 shot advantage in the first half, while the Greyhounds led in corner kicks, 1-0.

"In the first half they had a little more (possession) than us, but in the second half it was pretty even. It is great for our team to put some numbers up behind a good team," Head Coach Naomi Meiburger said. "I'm proud of the way the girls came back in the second half, and I think that is something we can build upon moving forward in the next set of games."

The Blue Demons quickly extended their lead, 3-0, when Rachel Pitman made an aerial cross to the middle of the box. Amber Paul headed the ball over the head of Colleen Folan and found the back of the goal for her first goal of the season.

In the 75th minute, junior Brooke Kerrigan centered a pass to  Jessica Van Dyke. The forward chested the pass and controlled the ball with a quick touch to Jess Soldiviero. Soldiviero beat her defender and made it past the Blue Demons' goalkeeper, Megan Pyrz, for her first collegiate goal.

DePaul countered with its four goal of the afternoon on a corner kick by Paul. Once inside the box, Pitman finished the play and put the Blue Demon's up, 4-1.

Loyola continued to fight for possession, keeping the ball in offensive territory for the next few minutes. Miller found herself guarded by defenders, but was able to loft the ball on a cross to the left side of the goal. Sophomore Nicole Wahlig was there for the header, crossing the ball from the left to the right and into the back corner of the net. Wahlig cut the deficit to two, 4-2, and scored the final goal of the match.  

The Greyhounds' defense also came on strong in the second half, stopping a number of set pieces created by DePaul.

In goal, Folan played all 90 minutes, recording two saves on nine shots.

Loyola ended the match with a 10-9 shot advantage, while the Blue Demons led the Greyhounds, 3-1, in corner kicks.

The Greyhounds return to action Friday, Sept. 5, for a road game against Howard University. Game time is set for 7 p.m.