Old Dominion Rallies To Defeat Women's Soccer

Aug. 31, 2008

Stats | Photo Gallery 

BALTIMORE - Old Dominion rallied from a two-goal deficit to edge host Loyola College, 3-2, in overtime Sunday afternoon in a non-conference match on Diane Geppi-AIkens Field.

Shavon Knight scored her second goal of the game 6:39 into the first overtime to lift the Monarchs (3-0-0) to victory.

Possession favored Loyola (0-2-0) in the first half, and the Greyhounds got on the board early. Senior forward Theresa Ferraina took a through pass in the middle of the field from junior forward Christina Gomez and beat Old Dominion goalie Lauren Tupman one-on-one. After passing Tupman, Ferraina tapped the ball into the goal to give Loyola a 1-0 advantage at 8:58.

The Monarchs did outshoot Loyola, 5-4, in the first half, but none of their shots were threatening.

Loyola added to its lead less than three minutes into the second half. Ferraina took a long pass from the left side and bumped the ball wide to freshman midfielder Julianne Bausch who made a run down the right sideline.

Bausch controlled the ball and struck a shot for a goal, the first of her career, into the lower left corner.

Old Dominion, however, slowly started to control more of the game's possession. After Loyola junior goalkeeper Brittany Henderson saved a Jocelyn Weidner shot, and the Monarchs had a corner kick within a two-minute span, a scrum ensued in front of Henderson.

She saved a shot by Victoria Johnson, but the rebound was corralled by Knight who knocked in her first goal of the game at 61:06.

Soon after Knight's first goal, Loyola had its best chance of the second half sail just high.

Ferraina crossed a ball from the left side, and sophomore midfielder Kelly Farrell flicked a header that went just over the crossbar.

Ten minutes later, Katie Watson picked up a loose ball for Old Dominion near midfield, beat her defender one-on-one, and drove a hard shot off the inside of the right post for the tying goal.

Henderson made two strong saves of Janna Pearson shots in the final 10 minutes of regulation, sending the match to overtime tied, 2-2.

The Loyola goalkeeper made three more saves, and senior defender Sarra Moller blocked a hard shot from the top of the box to preserve the tie early in overtime.

Old Dominion finally broke through, however, as Pearson made a run down the left side and crossed the ball to Knight on the far post. Knight's one-touch finished the goal and the game.

"I was very disappointed that we let a 2-0 lead go, but Old Dominion played extremely hard," Loyola Head Coach Katherine Remy Vettori said. "When we got our attack going, we created some nice opportunities, but we did not create enough of them."

The Greyhounds continue non-conference action next weekend when they travel to Villanova, Pa., for the Villanova Classic. Loyola takes on La Salle on Friday, September 5, at 4:30 p.m., and San Diego State on Sunday, September 7, at 11:30 a.m.