Women's Soccer Wins Second Straight with Road Shutout of High Point

Aug. 28, 2009


Final Stats


HIGH POINT, N.C. -- A second-half surge helped power the Loyola women's soccer team past High Point (0-3) Friday night, shutting out the Panthers 3-0 at Richard A. Vert Stadium in High Point, N.C.

Three second-period goals and a strong defensive showing helped the Greyhounds (2-0) to their second straight win in a row. Theresa Ferraina led Loyola with a goal, three shots and an assist. Heather Cooke and Kelly Farrell each had one shot, and made them count, as both resulted in goals.

Joie McLaughlin and Tessa McClenahan notched three shots each, two on goal.

Farrell was the first to put the Greyhounds on the board in the 56th minute by lofting a 35-footer.

"On our first goal, T laid the ball off to Kelly Farrell. She was about 40 yards out and had space, so she stepped up and nailed a shot off the top of the crossbar, and it went it," Head Coach Katherine Vettori said. "She was on the right side and knocked it to almost the upper 90 on the left."

Ferraina scored just two minutes later off a corner kick by Kelly Thomas to put the Greyhounds up 2-0.

"Kelly Thomas played a beautiful corner kick that Tessa headed down," Vettori said. "She put it right to T, who volleyed it in."

Cooke tacked on insurance in the 62nd minute by scoring on a rebound off a Nicole Schiro corner kick save. Thomas again had a hand in the play.

"Kelly Thomas served it, and Nichole Schiro took a shot that deflected off the goalkeeper," Vettori said. "It went right to Cooke, and she finished it off."

Loyola started off somewhat slow in the first half offensively. Of the combined 17 shots, just six came in the first half.

"In the first half, we didn't possess the ball as we'd hoped, and our attack was not very dangerous," said Vettori. "We were not making things happen in the final surge. But, we made some adjustments at halftime, and (Christina) Gomez, Tessa and Kelly Farrell played beautifully together.

"We were able to generate a lot more offense up top. We were able to complete a lot more passes and made things happen."

While the Greyhounds' offense didn't exactly get started right away, the defense had no problems warming up. Loyola did not allow a shot until the second half. Two quick shots by the Panthers at the start of the second half were both saved by Brittany Henderson.

"Brittany had a good, active game. We played the ball back to her a lot, and she did a good job of using her feet and distributing," Vettori said. "Our back four were incredible. We got a lot of rhythm when they were stepping back and stopping balls. We won a lot of 50-50 ball, and they didn't give up anything dangerous."

The Greyhounds continue their road trip with an afternoon contest against Wake Forest Sunday afternoon, in Winston-Salem, N.C., before heading to Maryland to take on the Terrapins Tuesday, in College Park.