May 4, 2012
SYRACUSE, N.Y. -
|Opponent||No. 2 Syracuse - BIG EAST Championship Semifinals|
|Date||Saturday, May 5, 2012|
|Location||Syracuse, N.Y. | Carrier Dome|
|Online Media||Live Stats|
|Television||CBS Sports Network|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
|Game Notes||Complete Game Notes in PDF Format|
• The Greyhounds won their third-straight BIG EAST Tournament game Thursday night, knocking off third-seeded No. 6 Notre Dame, 11-9.
• Two of the Fighting Irish’s four losses this year have been to Loyola.
• With the win, the Greyhounds advance to the championship game for the second-straight year.
• The title game will be televised live on CBS Sports Network. Todd Harris will provide the play-by-play, while Sheehan Stanwick Burch will be the analyst.
BIG EAST Championship History
• The Greyhounds are 3-1 in three tournament appearances; 0-1 in 2010, 2-0 in 2011 and 1-0 in 2012.
• Loyola won last year’s title with a 12-10 victory over Notre Dame in the championship game.
Loyola Greyhounds (11-5, 7-1 BIG EAST)
• Sixteen Greyhounds have tallied goals for Loyola this season, while seven have reached double figures in scoring. Sophomore Marlee Paton leads the way with 80 points on 47 goals and 33 assists, while freshman Annie Thomas has 58 points on 34 goals and 24 assists.
• Freshman Hannah Schmitt is second on the team in goals (36) and third in points (42), while Sydney Thomas has 41 points on 20 goals and 21 assists. Junior Joanna Dalton has 26 points (23g, 3a) and classmate Cassandra Cursaro has 17 points (16g, 1a), while freshman Molly Hulseman has 16 points (15g, 1a).
• Defensively, senior Kellye Gallagher leads the BIG EAST with 54 ground balls and 46 caused turnovers, while classmate Ana Heneberry is ranked second in caused turnovers with 35.
• In goal, senior Kerry Stoothoff has a 9.96 GAA and is stopping 45.5 percent of shots faced.
Scouting Syracuse (16-2, 8-0 BIG EAST)
• Syracuse knocked off fourth-seeded Georgetown in the second semifinal game Thursday, 7-6.
• BIG EAST Attacker of the Year Michelle Tumolo anchors an Orange offense that leads the league with 15.33 goals per game. Tumolo has tallied 41 goals and dished out a team-best 39 assists, while Alyssa Murray leads Syracuse with 90 points (61g, 29a).
• Defensively, Becca Block has 28 ground balls, 41 draw controls and 13 caused turnovers.
• In goal, Alyssa Constantino is allowing 7.82 goals per game and has a .528 save percentage.
Series Record vs. The Orange
• Syracuse holds the advantage in the all-time series, 7-4, including a 13-12 win earlier this season. The last three games have been decided by three goals total.
• Of the 11 games, eight have been decided by four goals or less.
• In addition, the last four games of the series have been played at different fields. The Orange won 10-9 at Ridley Athletic Complex on April 29, 2011, before the Greyhounds knocked Syracuse out of the 2011BIG EAST Tournament at Georgetown’s Multi-Sport Field with a 12-11 win.
• Earlier this year, the Orange won 13-12 at SU Soccer Stadium, while the championship game will be played at the Carrier Dome.