May 4, 2010
|Opponent||#9 Georgetown Hoyas (11-5, 8-0 BIG EAST)|
|Date & Opening Draw||May 6, 2010 | 5:30 p.m. ET|
|Location||Washington, D.C. | Multi-Sport Field|
|Television||CBS College Sports - Jason Knapp (pxp), Sheehan Burch (color)|
|Live Stats||Click Here|
|Game Notes||Complete Game Notes As PDF File|
BIG EAST Conference Championship
- In the first semifinal game of the BIG EAST Tournament, 4th seeded Loyola takes on the top seeded Georgetown Hoyas Thursday, May 6 at Rutgers’ Yurcak Field at 5:30 pm. The game will be televised on CBS College Sports, as will all three conference championship games.
- Calling the action all three games are Jason Knapp (pxp) and Sheehan Stanwick Burch (color).
- The winner will take on the victor of Notre Dame/Syracuse, Saturday, May 8 at 1:00 pm.
In The Polls
- Loyola fell one spot to 14th in the deBeer Inside Lacrosse Media Poll, while Georgetown jumped up three spots to ninth.
- The Greyhounds remained 13th in the IWLCA, while Georgetown moved up three spots to ninth in the coaches poll.
- Loyola is ranked 13th in the latest RPI rankings, while Georgetown checks in at sixth. The BIG EAST is one of just two conferences (ACC) to have four teams ranked in the top 13 of the RPI.
Last Time Out
- The same two teams met just over a week ago in Loyola’s regular season finale in DC, as the Hoyas came back from seven goals to defeat the Greyhounds in double overtime.
- Caroline Hager (2g, 2a), Grace Gavin (3g, 1a) and Mary Heneberry (4a) all scored four points for Loyola.
- The Greyhounds received six yellow cards compared to zero for the Hoyas. Abby Rehfuss and Grace Gavin both carded out for Loyola.
- The series between the Beltway rivals is tied at five.
- This is the second time these teams have met on a neutral site as they met in the 2001 National Semifinals with the Hoyas winning, 10-9.
The 2010 Loyola Greyhounds
- Grace Gavin leads the attack with 62 goals, 20 assists and 82 points. Emily Gibson is second offensively with 32 goals, 14 assists and 46 points. Mary Heneberry is the team’s third leading scorer with 25 goals and 35 points. Abby Rehfuss (22g, 29pts), Meg Decker (19g, 28pts), Caroline Hager (14g, 28pts) and Cara Filippelli (22g, 27pts) round out the scoring leaders.
- Sophomore goalkeeper Kerry Stoothoff is third in the BIG EAST with a 9.37 GAA, .493 save percentage and fifth with 8.24 saves per game.
- Emily Gibson leads the team with 43 ground balls, while Abby Rehfuss and Ana Heneberry have 38 ground balls. Rehfuss leads the team with 46 draw controls and Gavin has 37.
- Emily Gibson leads the team with 36 caused turnovers, while Ana Heneberry has 32. Loyola is tied for nation’s lead with 13.00 caused turnovers per game.
- With a win, Loyola will advance to the BIG EAST Championship Game to take on either Notre Dame or Syracuse. Despite leading in both games, Loyola fell to each team in the regular season. A win in the Championship Game will give Loyola its first NCAA Tournament berth since 2004.