Women's Lacrosse Falls to Georgetown in an Overtime Thriller

April 29, 2006

Box Score

Washington, D.C. - The Loyola College women's lacrosse team fell to No. 3 Georgetown, 9-8 in overtime at the Hoya's Multi-Sport Field Saturday afternoon. The Greyhounds finish the regular season with a 7-8 overall record and a 3-2 mark in the BIG EAST. Georgetown improves to 12-3 with the win and 5-0 in conference play.

The contest was slow to start on the offensive end as Maura Kenny's goal after two minutes of play was the only goal scored for nearly 14 minutes. Kate McHarg added to the Loyola lead with her goal after 13:46 of play. McHarg scored when Sydney Greene passed the ball off to her instead of shooting her free-position for the 2-0 lead. The Greyhounds kept the Hoyas scoreless for another seven minutes until Paige Andrews got them on the board with a free position in the 23rd minute for the 2-1 score.

The Greyhounds quickly added two more goals for the 4-1 lead. Both Stephanie Walker and Talia Shacklock scored free-position goals for the advantage. Georgetown's Patty Piotrowicz scored off a pass from Coco Stanwick with 2:36 left to play in the half for the 4-2 half time score.

The Hoyas quickly tied the game at 4-4 in the second half with back to back goals by Stanwick in the 32nd minute. Stanwick added a third goal to take the lead, 5-4 after 38:48 of play.

Walker tied the game again at 5-5 with her second free-position in the 40th minute of play. Georgetown's Schuyler Sutton and Stanwick each scored for the leagerst GU lead of the game, 7-5 with just over 13 minutes to play.

Loyola wasn't finished however as Alicyn Brunnett scored in the 48th minute when Shacklock passed off her free-position shot to a waiting Brunnett for the 7-6 score. Kenny would tie the game at seven when Shacklock hit her charging the cage in the 49th minute.

The score remained tied for over ten minutes before Kate McHarg scored with eight seconds left off a pass from Shacklock for the 8-7 lead. On the ensuing draw when Stanwick threw a pass from midfield to Stephanie Zodtner standing 20-plus yards from the goal. Zodtner got upfield and scored just as time wound down for the 8-8 tie.

Neither team scored in the first three-minute overtime session. In the second three-minute OT stanza, Georgetown's Sara Zorzi started behind the net and came around the right side of the cage and to feed the ball to Andrews for the game-winner.

McHarg, Walker and Kenny each scored twice in the game while Shacklock and Brunnett each scored once. Shacklock alos added three assists.

Stanwick led the game with four goals and an assist for the Hoyas. Andrews added two goals while three other GU players scored once.

Freshman keeper Alex Piriano stopped 10 shots in goal while Maggie Koch recorded nine saves in goal.