Strong Second Half Leads No. 16 Loyola Past No. 6 Georgetown

April 15, 2009

Box Score

BALTIMORE - Trailing by one at halftime, 16th-ranked Loyola went on a 4-0 run to start the second and eventually built a four-goal advantage en route to a 13-11 victory over No. 6 Georgetown on Wednesday afternoon in BIG EAST Conference action at a rain-soaked Diane Geppi-Aikens Field.

"We played extremely tough, both mentally and physically, today," Head Coach Jen Adams said. "Going into the season, one of our goals was to beat a team ranked in the top 10, and this accomplished that. We did what we needed to on defense, and then we made great decisions with our shot selection and took advantage."

Grace Gavin scored twice in the first 68 seconds after the break to put Loyola ahead 5-4. Emily Gibson and Abby Rehfuss then added goals to give Loyola a 7-4 lead.

Georgetown (10-4 overall, 5-1 BIG EAST), however, reeled off three goals in a row, two by Ashby Kaestner and the final by Jordy Kirr on a Kaestner assist, tying the score at 7 with just under 20 minutes to go.

Loyola (10-4, 3-3) rebounded immediately. The Hoyas controlled the ensuing draw, but Gibson caused a turnover and picked up the loose ball in the midfield. She was then fouled going to go and scored her second of the game on a free-positoin shot with 18:42 left.

The Hoyas again won the draw, but the teams traded turnovers, Georgetown coughing up the ball twice in a two-minute span.

Colleen O'Keefe was fouled just outside the eight-meter arc. She drove and placed a hard shot in the top left corner of the goal to put Loyola ahead two, 9-7, with 15:16 left.

Kelly Barnes scored from the right side for Georgetown 28 seconds later, making it a one-goal game.

Georgetown had an opportunity to tie in the next minute, but Molly Ford's shot was saved by Meg Steffe, and Tara Gardner scooped up the ground ball for Loyola.

Steffe tied her career-high with 16 saves in the game, as Georgetown outshot Loyola, 40-23.

A Georgetown foul in Loyola's offensive zone gave Meg Taylor a free-position attempt. Rather than taking the shot, however, Taylor found Filippelli who slid a low shot into the game.

O'Keefe controlled the draw, and Gibson fed Mary Heneberry for another Greyhounds' score 40 ticks later, giving Loyola an 11-8 advantage.

Neither team scored for almost five minutes until Kaestner broke through for the Hoyas with 6:41 to play.

Rehfuss won the draw for Loyola and after an O'Keefe shot went high, Heneberry beat her defender 1-on-1 from the left side and scored her second of the game.

Filippelli controlled possession for the Greyhounds on the next draw and after two Hoyas' fouls, Givson fed Filippelli for her team-high third goal of the game, putting Loyola up 13-9 with 4:48 on the clock.

Georgetown struck quickly, as Kaestner won the draw, and Ford fed Kirr for a score with 4:19 to go.

Sarah Seats had a shot fly wide left for Georgetown 10 seconds later, but Filippelli knocked down a Ford pass, and Gavin picked up the ground ball for Loyola.

The Greyhounds ran almost three minutes off the clock before a turnover set up Kaestner's sixth goal of the game on a free-position shot.

Georgetown had two more shot attempts, one going high and the other saved by Steffe. Loyola ran out the clock for the victory.

Six players scored multiple goals for Loyola, and Gibson also had two assists, tying her career-high with four points.

Loyola took just 23 shots, but 15 were on goal and just two were saved by the Hoyas.

Steffe had a game-high four ground balls, and Filippelli caused three turnovers to lead all players.

The Greyhounds last beat a team ranked as highly when they topped then-No. 4 Duke, 10-8, on April 9, 2004. The win over the Blue Devils was also Loyola's last over a team in ranked in the Top 10.

Loyola is back in action with its regular-season BIG EAST finale on Saturday, April 18, at 12 p.m. when it hosts Louisville.