Women's Lacrosse Falls to No. 19 Connecticut, 15-12

April 11, 2007

Box Score

Storrs, Conn. - No. 19 Connecticut topped Loyola, 15-12, in BIG EAST women's lacrosse action Wednesday afternoon. The Greyhounds fall to 2-10 with the loss and 0-4 in conference play while the Huskies improve to 7-5 overall and 1-3 in the BIG EAST.

The Greyhounds started the game with a three-goal run in the first six minutes of play. Junior Kate Filippelli and sophomore Colleen O'Keefe scored the first two goals on free-position shots to take a 2-0 lead. The third goal was scored by junior Alicyn Brunnett when O'Keefe passed the ball from the eight meter to Brunnett who turned towards the cage and beat the UConn goalkeeper high for the 3-0 lead.

The Huskies cut the lead to one, 3-2, in the eighth minute with back-to-back goals by Laura Trazasko. Junior Maura Kenny extended Loyola's lead with a goal from Filippelli in the 10th minute before two more UConn goals tied the game at 4-4. Kenny scored her third goal with a low shot in the 24th minute to again take the lead, 5-4. The Huskies scored two more goals to take the advantage, 6-5 with goals from Janet Williams and Kristin Link. Kenny helped `Hounds to tie the game at the half at six all when she scored on a free-position with three seconds remaining.

Connecticut scored the first two goals of the second half, the first from Link and the second from Robyn Pastuch, to take the lead, 8-6. Brunnett cut the Huskies led to one, 8-7, with a goal in the 33rd minute before another two-goal run by UConn set the score at 10-7 at 35:21. Both of Connecticut's goals came from Shannon Burke.

Loyola scored the next three goals to tie the game for the fourth time at 10 all. Kate McHarg scored first in the run, winning the draw and sprinting downfield and beating the keeper. Kenny scored her fourth goal off a pass from O'Keefe to cut the lead to one and freshman Emily Gibson added the fourth goal to tie the game at 10 in the 37th minute of play.

Neither team scored for nearly nine minutes before UConn put together a quick two-goal run for the 12-10 lead. Tori Joel scored at 46:13 and Whitney Michele added the second 47:07. McHarg cut the lead to one, 12-11, two minutes later with a long shot from the eight meter. UConn's Michele extended to lead back to two, 13-11, in the 49th minute before McHarg scored again when she faked to draw the keeper out and found the back of the net at 55:50 for the 13-12 score. The Huskies scored the final two goals in the last six minutes for the 15-12 win.

Kenny led the Greyhounds with four goals and an assist. McHarg added three goals while Brunnett scored twice. O'Keefe scored one goal while assisting on two. Filippelli added a goal and an assist while Gibson scored one goal.

The Huskies were led in goals by Link with four. Michele added three and two assists. Burke led in points with two goals and four assists.

Loyola keeper Karen Nicolaus stopped nine shots, eight in the second half for the `Hounds while Connecticut goalkeeper Jenna Moulton recorded 10 saves.

The Greyhounds travel to No. 2 Maryland on Friday for a 7:00 game.