Staunch Loyola Defense Denies Mount St. Mary's

April 9, 2008

Box Score | Photo Gallery 

EMMITSBURG, Md. - Loyola's defense held the nation's leading goal scorer to just one, as the Greyhounds defeated host Mount St. Mary's, 12-7, Wednesday afternoon in a non-conference game at the Waldron Family Stadium.

After the Greyhounds' offense put 21 goal on the board three days ago at Louisville, it was the defense's turn to step-up. Grace Gavin led the way again for the offense, scoring four second-half goals and assisting on two in the first half.

Kate Filippelli and Bridget Zingler took the primary marking responsibilities on The Mount's Katelyn Catanese, who entered the game with 54 goals this season, tops in NCAA Division I. Catanese needed only two to tie the school single-season record, but the Greyhounds (6-7) denied her the accolade.

Catanese finished with just one first-half goal. The Mount (8-6) scored just two goals after halftime, including one in the final 30 seconds.

Meg Steffe made 12 saves in goal for the Greyhounds, including two against Catanese. One of the saves came from point-blank range in the game's final minute.

Loyola jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the game's first eight minutes. Kate Filippelli scored the opening goal at the 27:38 mark, and Mary Heneberry scored off an Abby Rehfuss assist 59 seconds later.

Heneberry then assisted on an Alicyn Brunnett goal with 25:11 to play in the first half, and Filippelli scored again to make it 4-0 with 22:29 remaining.

Rebecca Douglass scored The Mount's first goal, assisted by Breana Waraska, with 21:50 to play, but Elizabeth Weber scored on a Grace Gavin assist 41 seconds later to put the Greyhounds back up by four.

Bridget O'Keefe then scored on a Gavin assist, and Brunnett scored, assisted by Filippelli to put Loyola ahead, 7-1, with 18:56 to play before halftime.

The Mount cut the deficit back to three, scoring three goals in a way. Ashley Johnson scored twice, wrapped around Catanese's lone goal.

Cara Filippelli scored on a Rehfuss assist with 12:53 remaining in the half, breaking Mount St. Mary's run.

Kathleen Rossetti scored for The Mount with 8:40 to go in the half, making it an 8-5 game at halftime.

Neither team scored for the first four minutes of the second half, but Gavin took over offensively after that.

She scored at 25:52, assisted by Rehfuss, then tallied an unassisted goal at 22:52.

Johnson scored for Mount St. Mary's with 9:49 remaining, but Gavin took Kate Filippelli's high feed from behind the cage, dumping a goal over the head of The Mount's Jane Krager.

She scored again, assisted by Rehfuss with 42 ticks remaining. Johnson then rounded out the scoring, taking a Krisin Jones pass in transition and scoring with 22 seconds left.

The Greyhounds had 17 caused turnovers, forcing a total of 26 Mount St. Mary's turnovers. Kate and Cara Filippelli each forced two turnovers, and Kristen Stone and Bridget O'Keefe forced two each.

Loyola will take the weekend off from competition before returning to action on Wednesday, April 16, 2008, at Cornell.