Second Half Run Keys Women's Lacrosse Win At Louisville

April 6, 2008

Box Score | Photo Gallery 

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Loyola scored five-straight goals in a span of two-minutes, 13-seconds, near the start of the of the second half, and the Greyhounds held on for a 21-18 win over Louisville on Sunday afternoon in non-conference action.

Grace Gavin led the Greyhounds with a career-high seven goals. Abby Rehfuss scored four and had an assist, one game after scoring five versus Cincinnati on Friday afternoon.

The scoring output marks the first time in the program's 36-year history that it has posted four games of 20 goals or more during the season.

Including Loyola's 20-6 win on Friday over the Bearcats, it is the most goals in a two-game span that the Greyhounds have scored since 1986 when they beat Bucknell, 30-7, on April 7 and Towson State, 24-12, on April 10.

It is also the first time since the 1994 season that Loyola's has posted back-to-back 20-goal efforts. The Greyhounds defeated George Mason, 20-7, on April 11 of that season and American, 20-2, on April 13.

Louisville (7-4) took a 4-0 lead after the game's first 7:32, but the Greyhounds (5-7) rallied with four goals of their own. Rehfuss scored the team's first with 21:42 to go in the first half, and Gavin scored two straight before Bridget O'Keefe tied the game with just over 16 minutes left before halftime.

Loyola took its first lead, which it would not relinquish, on a Gavin free-position goal with 4:37 left in the half.

Gavin's goal was the second of a four-goal stretch that saw the Greyhounds take a 9-6 lead on a goal by Kate Filippelli that was assisted by Mary Clare Taylor.

Louisville's Lianne Bobal scored with 2:16 remaining to pull the Cardinals within two, 9-7, but Rehfuss scored on a free-position goal with less than a second remaining on the first-half clock.

Sierra Smith-Hart scored the first goal, on a free-position shot, 4:04 into the second half, pulling Louisville within two.

Gavin triggered Loyola's five-goal run, in which she scored twice, scoring 10 seconds after Smith-Hart's goal. Cara Filippelli won the ensuing draw and fed O'Keefe who scored nine seconds after Gavin's first goal.

Loyola won the next draw, as well, and Kate Filippelli found Gavin streaking toward the crease. Gavin beat Louisville's Jen Heup for the Greyhounds' third goal in 26 seconds.

Mary Heneberry scored off a Kate Filippelli assist 1:42 later, and Alicyn Brunnett capped the run with a goal off an O'Keefe assist 14 seconds after that.

Louisville, however, responded with a run of its own. Sammy Allen scored twice, and the Cardinals tallied five in a row to pull back within two, 15-13.

Brunnett broke the Louisville run, scoring off a Taylor assist with 14:49 remaining in the game. Gavin scored 18 seconds later to give the Greyhounds a four-goal advantage.

Louisville's Liz Lovejoy, however, scored with 13:35 remaining to pull the Cardinals back within three.

Gavin and Rehfuss each scored, with Rehfuss assisting on Gavin's score, to put Loyola in front, 19-15.

Louisville scored three goals over a 2:10 stretch, making it a two-goal differential again.

Courtney Burhans made two saves on free-position shots, and three total, while playing most of the final eight minutes in goal for Loyola.

Smith-Hart appeared to have scored with less than a minute to play, which would have made the score 20-19. However, she was given her second yellow card, and the seventh of the game for the Cardinals, for an illegal follow-through on her shot, nullifying the goal.

Emily Gibson scored off a Heneberry assist with 12 seconds left to provide the final margin.

Bergan Foley led Louisville with six goals, while Smith-Hart scored four.

In addition to Gavin's seven and Rehfuss' four, Brunnett scored three goals, while O'Keefe and Heneberry tallied two a piece.

Kate Filippelli and Taylor each had two assists.

The Greyhounds continue non-conference action on Wednesday, April 9, 2008, with a 3:30 p.m. game at Mount St. Mary's in Emmitsburg, Md.