#16 Women's Lacrosse Scores 16 Unanswered To Beat Connecticut

April 3, 2009

Box Score | Photo Gallery 

BALTIMORE - After falling behind 2-1 just over five minutes into the game, the 16th-ranked Loyola women's lacrosse team held visiting Connecticut scoreless for the remainder of the BIG EAST Contest, scoring 16 in a row for a 17-2 victory Friday afternoon.

Colleen O'Keefe and Emily Gibson each scored three goals, leading 10 Greyhounds who tallied goals on the afternoon. Grace Gavin and Abby Rehfuss each had two assists.

The two goals are the fewest Loyola has yielded since allowing the same amount on April 16, 2003, in a 12-2 victory over William & Mary.

Connecticut (2-10 overall, 2-2 BIG EAST) took a 2-1 lead at the 24:56 mark in the first half as M.E. Lapham scored a pair 30 seconds apart. The Huskies led for almost three minutes before Meg Taylor scored her second goal of the game with 21:59 on the clock, tying the game at two.

The Greyhounds (8-3, 1-2) won the ensuing draw control and Gibson took a Gavin assist, scoring 14 seconds later to give Loyola the lead for good.

"After dropping a couple of conference games last weekend, it was good to see us come out with a strong effort and play well today," Head Coach Jen Adams said. "I thought that we moved the ball well on offense and made good decisions. We had a few lower scoring games recently, so this type of offensive output was good."

Following Gibson's goal, O'Keefe finished a Rehfuss pass with a goal at 20:49. Cara Filippelli then took a free-position shot that rocketed off the goal's crossbar straight up in the air. The ball hit the ground next to Huskies goalkeeper Anne Wallingford, and the backspin carried it straight into the goal.

Gavin then scored unassisted at the 17:20 mark, staking Loyola to a 6-2 advantage. The Greyhounds took almost nine minutes off the clock before Rehfuss scored again 8:34 before the half. Gibson scored almost three minutes later for an 8-2 lead.

Marura Kenny then scored two goals in a 17-second span, and O'Keefe finished the first half with a pair of scores, the final coming two seconds before the break, giving Loyola a 12-2 lead at halftime.

Elizabeth Weber and Gibson each scored in the first eight minutes of the second half, and Mary Clare Taylor and Rehfuss added goals in the next 10. Kelly Quinlan capped Loyola's scoring with the Greyhounds' 17th goal with 10:01 remaining in the game.

Loyola outshot Connecticut, 34-23, but the Huskies did have 14 shots in the second half. Meg Steffe made nine saves, six on free-position attempts after halftime, in goal for the Greyhounds. Kerry Stoothoff had five first-half saves for Loyola.

The Greyhounds' defense caused 14 turnovers. Filippelli recorded five, and Kellye Gallagher had four. Gallagher led all players with four ground balls.

Loyola returns to action on Sunday afternoon when the Greyhounds take on No. 8 Syracuse at 1 p.m. on Diane Geppi-Aikens Field.