Women's Lacrosse Ties Game, Can't Capitalize On Comeback Attempt At Penn State

March 30, 2008

Box Score | Photo Gallery 

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - Loyola rallied from 5-3 halftime deficit to tie the game within the second half's first 10 minutes, but three goals by host Penn State over a five-minute stretch derailed the Greyhounds comeback in a 10-7 loss on Sunday afternoon at Bigler Field in a non-conference game.

"Our defense played well, but we did not shoot the ball well," Head Coach Kerri O'Day said. "We did not make adjustments with our shots, and we missed some opportunities that way. Our line defense and goalkeeper did a good job against their primary attack, but we did not clear the ball efficiently."

Less than five minutes into the second half, Grace Gavin passed up a shot on a free-position opportunity, but she passed across, finding Bridget O'Keefe on the weak side. O'Keefe scored at the 25:29 mark to pull Loyola (3-7) within one.

Kate Filippelli then shook off a defender inside the fan, turning toward goal and scoring the game-tying goal with 20:54 left.

The Nittany Lions (3-6), however, answered Loyola's run with three-straight goals. Jessi Lieb started the streak at 19:06 to take the lead for good. Marisa Lozano scored less than a m inute later, and Erica Mihm added a goal on a free-position shot with 14:46 remaining, staking Penn State to a 8-5 lead.

Emily Gibson fed a ball from behind the cage to Abby Rehfuss who scored with 11:45 left, closing the gap to 8-6.

O'Keefe then scored her third goal of the game on a free-position shot with 5:20 left, making it a one-goal game.

Jen Steadman, however, scored less than a minute later for Penn State, pushing the Nittany Lion's advantage to 9-7. Lieb scored off a pass from Marisa Lozano, against an empty goal as Loyola was attempting to take away the ball, with 57 seconds left.

Kerry Shea opened scoring at the 26:35 mark with an unassisted goal for Penn State. After a save by Penn State goalie Jess Boccio, O'Keefe caused a turnover by Boccio, picked up the ground ball and scored Loyola's first goal at 23:04.

Shea scored again, but Cara Filippelli took a feed from Mary Heneberry and tied the game at one with 14:02 left.

Steadman scored, and Lozano tallied two more, over a six-minute stretch that gave Penn State a 5-2 lead.

Kate Filippelli scored with 52 seconds left before halftime to pull the Greyhounds within two at the break.

O'Keefe's three goals were a career-high. Kate Filippelli scored twice and had a team-high four draw controls.

Loyola goalkeeper Meg Steffe made 10 saves, seven in the first half, for Loyola.